GOSH 2022 Book Club Meetings

Hi all,

Since the last book club thread was getting a little crowded, I decided to make a new one! Thanks to @tarunima and @hpy who joined the most recent meeting, where we discussed Pedagogy of the Oppressed, by Paulo Freire (you can access a PDF of the book in English here).

Next Meeting Time

GOSH book club meetings happen on a monthly basis, help us find a time for the next one by filling out this poll!

Reading List

You can access the reading list here - feel free to add your contributions to it!

You can fill out the following poll, based on our reading list , to share which books you would like to read in the future:

Books you would like to read!
  • The Alchemist, by Paulo Coelho
  • Makers, by Cory Doctorow
  • The Misfit Economy by Alexa Clay & Kyra Maya Phillips
  • Laboratory Life: The Construction of Scientific Facts, by Bruno Latour
  • Everything for Everyone by Nathan Schneider
  • QED: The Strange Theory of Light and Matter, by Richard Feynman
  • Sapiens: A brief history of humankind, by Yuval Noah Harari
  • Common as Air, by Lewis Hyde
  • The Gift, by Lewis Hyde
  • Better Work Together by the Enspiral Foundation
  • Doughnut Economics, by Kate Raworth
  • Hardware Hacker, by Bunnie Huang
  • Pale Blue Dot: A Vision of the Human Future in Space, by Carl Sagan
  • Unauthorized Bread by Cory Doctorow
  • Presentation Zen by Garr Reynolds
  • The End of Everything by Katie Mack
  • Building Open Source Hardware: DIY Manufacturing for Hackers and Makers by Alicia Gibb

0 voters

I will follow up on this next week with a meeting time and book for the next meeting!

-Bri :v:

1 Like

A reminder to fill out this poll so that we can schedule the next book club meeting :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the reminder, I just completed the poll. Also, did we ever decide on a book?? If there are ties, sometimes I use the various tools on Random.org to help me make decisions… :sweat_smile:

Hi all! Based on the poll, it looks like the next book club meeting will be at 5 pm UTC on May 26! I used Random.org as @hpy suggested to decide which book to read (based on the top three choices that were tied) and Building Open Source Hardware: DIY Manufacturing for Hackers and Makers by Alicia Gibb was the winner!

You can find a free PDF of the book here. I have added the book club meeting to the GOSH calendar as well!

1 Like

Wow another long book! I’ll do my best to read at least parts of it by May 26. :slight_smile:

BTW, looks like the linked PDF is truncated, but other sources are available.

Hi everyone! Unfortunately, I can’t make tomorrow’s book club meeting, but feel free to meet without me!

1 Like

Unfortunately I didn’t get to read much of the book (but enjoyed reading the parts that I did) and am completely drained from a long and intense day, so apologies I probably also can’t make it.

Just learned from @jarancio Mattering Press, a cooperative publisher publishing books that are IMO relevant to this thread:

https://www.matteringpress.org/books

3 Likes

Thanks for the share. I particularly liked this book as it suggests to have ways to make its ideas and questions into an interactive game.

1 Like

There’s a ebook version (.epub) in a ZIP file which can be downloaded from here.

I’d be happy for us to have one more meeting to talk about this book in late August/September-ish before the Gathering in October!

Thanks, @hpy for the link to the book - and for reviving this thread!

I would be open to an early September book club meeting (I will likely be out of the office the last week of August). Here is a poll that everyone can fill out to find a meeting time!

1 Like

Thank you @briannaljohns, I’ve added my availability to the poll. It’ll be good if we can lock in a time asap because as we get closer to September I’m sure our calendars will start filling up!

@hpy I agree! Let’s make July 25 the deadline for filling out the poll. I’ll announce the date/time that works shortly afterwards.

Thanks, everyone!

2 Likes

Hi again everyone!

It looks like the best time for the next GOSH Book Club meeting is September 6 at 12:00 UTC (22:00 AEDT / 15:00 AET / 8:00 ET). We will be reading Building Open Source Hardware: DIY Manufacturing for Hackers and Makers by Alicia Gibb

As @hpy noted there’s a ebook version (.epub) in a ZIP file which can be downloaded from here.

I have added this to the GOSH calendar and we will meet using this Jitsi link.

Enjoy the reading and see you all then!

-Bri :v:

2 Likes

Thanks! I have added this to my calendar and will strive to read the book (or at least the sections which most interest me!) by the time we meet.

2 Likes

Thanks! I’ll try to make the meeting. I’ve tried to download the ePub version using the link provided above but keep getting an error - does anyone know of any other sources please?

1 Like

Hi @annasera: Just to confirm, are you having trouble with the link itself, opening the zip file it links to, or opening the epub file contained within the zip file? Or do you need it in another format like PDF? I’ll try to get something to you asap.

Thanks for your help! I was getting a security error that didn’t give me an option to override it, but I’ve just tried again and managed to download it. :grinning:

1 Like

Hi all! A reminder that the next Book Club meeting is September 6 at 12:00 UTC! We will be discussing the book Building Open Source Hardware: DIY Manufacturing for Hackers and Makers by Alicia Gibb

As @hpy noted there’s an ebook version (.epub) in a ZIP file which can be downloaded from here.

I have added this to the GOSH calendar and we will meet using this Jitsi link.

1 Like

Hi everyone,

We had a great book club meeting yesterday, thanks to @annasera and @hpy for joining! We discussed the book Building Open Source Hardware: DIY Manufacturing for Hackers and Makers and also decided on the next book club read.

What will we be reading next?
We decided that The Hardware Hacker: Adventures in Making and Breaking Hardware, by Bunnie Huang, will be our next book club reading!

When is the next meeting?
We would like to host the next book club meeting during the last week of November. Help us decide on a time/date by filling out this poll.

I am looking forward to the next meeting!

Thanks,
Bri

1 Like