GOSH 2022 Book Club Meetings

Hi all,

Since the last book club thread was getting a little crowded, I decided to make a new one! Thanks to @tarunima and @hpy who joined the most recent meeting, where we discussed Pedagogy of the Oppressed, by Paulo Freire (you can access a PDF of the book in English here).

Next Meeting Time

GOSH book club meetings happen on a monthly basis, help us find a time for the next one by filling out this poll!

Reading List

You can access the reading list here - feel free to add your contributions to it!

You can fill out the following poll, based on our reading list , to share which books you would like to read in the future:

Books you would like to read!
  • The Alchemist, by Paulo Coelho
  • Makers, by Cory Doctorow
  • The Misfit Economy by Alexa Clay & Kyra Maya Phillips
  • Laboratory Life: The Construction of Scientific Facts, by Bruno Latour
  • Everything for Everyone by Nathan Schneider
  • QED: The Strange Theory of Light and Matter, by Richard Feynman
  • Sapiens: A brief history of humankind, by Yuval Noah Harari
  • Common as Air, by Lewis Hyde
  • The Gift, by Lewis Hyde
  • Better Work Together by the Enspiral Foundation
  • Doughnut Economics, by Kate Raworth
  • Hardware Hacker, by Bunnie Huang
  • Pale Blue Dot: A Vision of the Human Future in Space, by Carl Sagan
  • Unauthorized Bread by Cory Doctorow
  • Presentation Zen by Garr Reynolds
  • The End of Everything by Katie Mack
  • Building Open Source Hardware: DIY Manufacturing for Hackers and Makers by Alicia Gibb

0 voters

I will follow up on this next week with a meeting time and book for the next meeting!

-Bri :v:

1 Like

A reminder to fill out this poll so that we can schedule the next book club meeting :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the reminder, I just completed the poll. Also, did we ever decide on a book?? If there are ties, sometimes I use the various tools on Random.org to help me make decisions… :sweat_smile:

Hi all! Based on the poll, it looks like the next book club meeting will be at 5 pm UTC on May 26! I used Random.org as @hpy suggested to decide which book to read (based on the top three choices that were tied) and Building Open Source Hardware: DIY Manufacturing for Hackers and Makers by Alicia Gibb was the winner!

You can find a free PDF of the book here. I have added the book club meeting to the GOSH calendar as well!

1 Like

Wow another long book! I’ll do my best to read at least parts of it by May 26. :slight_smile:

BTW, looks like the linked PDF is truncated, but other sources are available.