GOSH 2022 Book Club Meetings

Hi again all!

Thanks @hpy and @annasera for your response to the poll to find a meeting time! Unfortunately it looks like I won’t be able to make any of the meeting times that are emerging in the poll, but feel free to meet without me next time!

1 Like

TBH I’m pretty overwhelmed as of late and don’t have much time for this book at the moment. Can we run the poll again post-Panama-Gathering and find a new time??

@hpy sounds good to me :slight_smile: we’ve got a lot coming up with the Gathering anyways, so we can definitely come back to this afterwards.

1 Like

Great!

BTW, putting two more books here that may be of interest:

• Walled Culture - The Book by Glyn Moody. “Walled Culture is the first book providing a compact, non-technical history of digital copyright and its problems over the last 30 years, and the social, economic and technological implications.”
  • Chokepoint Capitalism by Rebecca Giblin and Cory Doctorow. “In Chokepoint Capitalism, scholar Rebecca Giblin and writer and activist Cory Doctorow argue we’re in a new era of ‘chokepoint capitalism’, with exploitative businesses creating insurmountable barriers to competition that enable them to capture value that should rightfully go to others. All workers are weakened by this, but the problem is especially well-illustrated by the plight of creative workers.”

There are relatively easily accessible ebooks of both available.

1 Like

Yet another book, though slightly less directly related to open science hardware. Still may be of interest to some.

An Illustrated Field Guide to Social Media - A look at alternative logics for social media published in connection with “Reimagine the Internet”.

This field guide looks at social media that works on different “logics” than do Facebook, Twitter, or YouTube. It features communities that have tried consciously to use different models than surveillance capitalism and includes the work of collaborators in other countries and subcultures.

Published CC BY! And also viewable on the Internet Archive.

BTW the book mentions Pol.is which @lizbarry works on!

1 Like