GOSH book club relaunch

Hey everybody!

@ryanfobel and I are interested in getting the GOSH book club going again (you can see the past book club thread here).

We hosted our first meeting at 13:00 UTC on June 9th and decided on holding book club meetings on a monthly basis, with one person moderating each meeting.

Meetings

Meeting #1: June 9th 13:00-14:00 UTC (introductory meeting)
Meeting #2: July 7th 13:00-14:00 UTC, discussing Free Culture by Lawrence Lessig (moderated by @biomurph)

You can find upcoming meetings on the GOSH calendar and access the meeting notes here.

Reading List

You can access the reading list here - feel free to add your contributions to it!

You can fill out the following poll, based on our reading list, to share which books you would like to read in the future:

Books you would like to read!
  • The Alchemist, by Paulo Coelho
  • Makers, by Cory Doctorow
  • The Misfit Economy by Alexa Clay & Kyra Maya Phillips
  • Laboratory Life: The Construction of Scientific Facts, by Bruno Latour
  • Everything for Everyone by Nathan Schneider
  • QED: The Strange Theory of Light and Matter, by Richard Feynman
  • Sapiens: A brief history of humankind, by Yuval Noah Harari
  • Common as Air, by Lewis Hyde
  • The Gift, by Lewis Hyde
  • Better Work Together by the Enspiral Foundation
  • Doughnut Economics, by Kate Raworth
  • Against Intellectual Monopoly, by Michele Boldrin and David K. Levine
  • Hardware Hacker, by Bunnie Huang
  • The Ministry for the Future, by Kim Stanley Robinson

0 voters

-Bri

4 Likes

Great idea! :+1:t3:

I’ll try to join the meeting on 9 June, but in case I don’t make it I submit this for discussion: What’s a good place/way to maintain a book list? A public Zotero group perhaps? Or use GOSH’s GitLab?

Super cool! I signed up for the book club group here
http://forum.openhardware.science/groups
Is that still active?

I’d like to add Lewis Hyde to the options list.
Common As Air
The Gift

2 Likes

@hpy great question regarding the booklist - I just made a gosh bookclub project on GOSH’s gitlab, and made a wiki there for the reading list :slight_smile: @biomurph I added your recommendations to the list as well! In terms of the book club group being active, I am not sure…perhaps @ryanfobel may know more? Can we continue to use this, or should we make a new one?

1 Like

Can’t make the meeting on the 9th, but hopefully following ones. @ryanfobel and I also were talking about Ministry for the Future as a potential.

2 Likes

I absolutely love that wiki - reading list!

2 Likes

Oh heck yes! I LOVED ministry of the future.

I also recently read a couple of books that I would love to discuss with other GOSHers:

Thanks @briannaljohns for resurrecting this!

1 Like

So many good books so little time to read them all!

Thanks for setting up a GitLab project, let’s see how well it works. I’ve submitted an editing request, hope that’s OK.

A few books off the top of my head:

• Free Culture by Lawrence Lessig - This book re-formatted my brain on how to think about the nature of creativity, knowledge, ideas, and by extension the foundational motivations behind the concept of “free as in freedom, not price” for open source.
  • Against Intellectual Monopoly by Michele Boldrin and David K. Levine
  • Hardware Hacker by Bunnie Huang

The first two books are available to read online.

1 Like

Happy Monday! Just a reminder that the GOSH book club interest meeting is this Wednesday (June 9th) at 13:00 UTC. You can join here.

If you can’t make it, feel free to reply on this thread with any recommendations you have :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hello everyone!

We had a great book club meeting this past Wednesday (you can see the notes form it here) and decided on our first book to read together, which will be Free Culture by Lawrence Lessig! You can find the free electronic version here.

Our next book club meeting will be July 7th at 13:00 UTC, which has been added to the GOSH calendar. This next meeting will be moderated by @biomurph, and we plan on discussing Free Culture and deciding on our next book.

I am also adding a poll to the first post in this thread so that we can vote on books we would like to read.

That is all for now!
-Bri

3 Likes

Hi again everyone!

A reminder that the next GOSH book club meeting will be July 7th at 13:00 UTC. We will be discussing the book Free Culture by Lawrence Lessig! You can find the free electronic version here .

This meeting has also been added to the GOSH Calendar.

Enjoy the rest of your week!
-Bri :slight_smile:

1 Like

Too bad I’ve got an important meeting that day which overlaps substantially with this book club meeting. I read Free Culture in 2014 and have been hoping to discuss it with someone this whole time! Oh well. :sweat_smile:

Hope you all have a great conversation about it! The book inspired me a lot.

Hi everybody!

We had another great book club meeting today, and have decided on our next book: Ministry for the Future by Kim Stanley Robinson!

We will meet to discuss this on August 25th at 13:00 UTC, and I have added this to the GOSH calendar :slight_smile:

I’m not sure if there is a free e-publication for the book, but if there is, let us know!

-Bri

2 Likes

Hi all! A quick reminder that the next GOSH book club meeting will be next week, on August 25th at 13:00 UTC! We will be discussing Ministry for the Future by Kim Stanley Robinson. I have added this to the GOSH calendar and we will meet using this Jitsi link.

1 Like

I won’t make it to the book club meeting :frowning:
Have had an unusually busy month. Please post the next book that y’all want to read!

I was not able to attend today but have been listening to the audio book. I hope you all have a great discussion.

I just added another book to the list:

The New Enlightenment and the Fight to Free Knowledge By Peter B. Kaufman (2021) - available to buy or read online under CC BY license!

1 Like

Thanks for adding to the list, @hpy! During our last meeting, we chatted about the last book we read which was Ministry for the Future. We didn’t decide on the next book to read, so I am sharing another poll to see what people would like to read next:

Books you would like to read!
  • The New Enlightenment and the Fight to Free Knowledge, by Peter B. Kaufman
  • The Alchemist, by Paulo Coelho
  • Makers, by Cory Doctorow
  • The Misfit Economy by Alexa Clay & Kyra Maya Phillips
  • Laboratory Life: The Construction of Scientific Facts, by Bruno Latour
  • Everything for Everyone by Nathan Schneider
  • QED: The Strange Theory of Light and Matter, by Richard Feynman
  • Sapiens: A brief history of humankind, by Yuval Noah Harari
  • Common as Air, by Lewis Hyde
  • The Gift, by Lewis Hyde
  • Better Work Together by the Enspiral Foundation
  • Doughnut Economics, by Kate Raworth
  • Against Intellectual Monopoly, by Michele Boldrin and David K. Levine
  • Hardware Hacker, by Bunnie Huang

0 voters

You can learn more about these books by accessing the reading list here :slight_smile:

Thanks!
-Bri

1 Like

Hi all,

Let’s go ahead and read The New Enlightenment and the Fight to Free Knowledge By Peter B. Kaufman (2021), which @hpy said is available to buy or read online under CC BY license!

Please fill out the following crab.fit poll to decide on a meeting time for October :slight_smile:

Thanks!
Bri

1 Like

Hi everyone! The next GOSH book club meeting will be October 20th from 11:30-12:30 UTC. We will be reading The New Enlightenment and the Fight to Free Knowledge By Peter B. Kaufman (2021), feel free to read as far as you would like before the meeting! You can buy it or read it online under CC BY license.

I have added this to the GOSH calendar and we will meet using this Jitsi link.

1 Like