GOSH book club relaunch

Hey everyone! A reminder that the next book club meeting will be October 20th from 11:30-12:30 UTC.

We will be reading The New Enlightenment and the Fight to Free Knowledge By Peter B. Kaufman (2021). You can buy it or read it online under CC BY license.

Meetings are open to anyone interested, and you can read as far as you would like. I have added this to the GOSH calendar and we will meet using this Jitsi link .

1 Like

Hi again everyone! We had a great book club meeting yesterday, @tarunima and @hpy joined and we had some nice conversations about the book!

We decided on The Age of Surveillance Capitalism, by Shoshana Zuboff as our next reading! You can find a PDF of the book here.

Since the book is quite long, we decided to plan the next book club meeting for the first week of January, to give us all enough time to read it! We havenā€™t decided on a date yet, so be sure to fill out the poll here if you want to join - thereā€™s plenty of time to sign up :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Excellent initiative. Thank you @briannaljohns

For everyone interested in translations of this book in other languages, thereā€™s a translation in Serbian available in bookstores - ā€œDoba nadzornog kapitalizmaā€ published by Clio.

2 Likes

I hope everyone is enjoying the book so far! Just a reminder to fill out the meeting poll if you havenā€™t already so that we can find a time to meet next!

Iā€™ll give a few more days for people to fill out the poll, then announce the date later this week :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi all, it looks like the next GOSH Book Club meeting will be on January 5th at 21:00 UTC! We will be discussing the book The Age of Surveillance Capitalism, by Shoshana Zuboff. You can download a PDF of the book here!

Meetings are open to anyone and you can read as far as you would like. I have added this to the GOSH calendar and we will meet via this Jitsi link .

1 Like

Hi again all, apologies for the last-minute change of plans, but we will be pushing the book club meeting back another month, to give some of us more time to finish up the book :slight_smile:

Iā€™ll share more information on the next meeting time soon!

1 Like

no worriesā€¦ for those interested in another good read, mbe not sooooooo connected to our core topics of open science hardware, but a lot about indigenous critique / knowleget and sharing cultures in foraging bands.
Reading ā€œThe Dawn of Everythingā€ link at the moment. PM to me if you want the ebook, i can send it.

2 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion @dusjagr! We should talk about it a bit more at the next meeting, potentially a future read for the group!

I quickly chatted with @hpy earlier today and we decided to reschedule the next book club meeting to February 2nd at 21:00 UTC. If that time doesnā€™t work for you, let us know by responding to this thread!

Meetings are open to anyone and you can read as far as you would like. I have added this to the GOSH calendar and we will meet via this Jitsi link .

1 Like

Hi all! A reminder that the next GOSH Book Club meeting is February 2nd at 21:00 UTC! We will be discussing the book The Age of Surveillance Capitalism, by Shoshana Zuboff. Meetings are open to anyone and you can read as far as you would like. You can find the event on the GOSH calendar and we will meet via this Jitsi link .

1 Like

Hi all! Hope you had a nice Book Club yesterday! I would have loved to join but unfortunately had something else on my calendar. Have you decided on the next book for the Book Club meeting? If so, where could I find the info? Thanks a lot :books:

2 Likes

Hello @audevuilli! Would love to have you join the next Book Club meeting!

@hpy and I were thinking of having the next book club meeting on March 2nd at 21:00 UTC - does this date and time work for you? If not, let us know :slight_smile:

For anyone interested in joining the next book club meeting, we are currently deciding between two books (The Alchemist and Against Intellectual Monopoly) to read next. We decided to do a poll first before deciding! Please fill out this poll by February 9th and we will announce the new book next week!

• Against Intellectual Monopoly, by Michele Boldrin and David K. Levine
  • The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho

0 voters

Thanks everyone!
Bri

1 Like

Hi all! It looks like it was a tie between both the books, so I flipped a coin as a tie-breaker. Against Intellectual Monopoly won, so that will be our book for the month! You can read it online here. See you all at the next meeting on March 2nd at 21:00 UTC!

3 Likes

Hi everyone. I might not be able to make it for the next book meeting on March 2 at 21:00 UTC but would still love to discuss the book, any chance we could push it back by about 10 days?

But if the current time is better for most people, then please feel free keep it and donā€™t hold it up just because of me! Iā€™ll just join for the next book.

Hey @hpy! I actually need a bit more time as well, so pushing it back another 10 days works for me!

Hi again @hpy - looks like 10 days from March 2 is a Saturday, so why donā€™t we go ahead and push it back to the following Monday, March 14th at 21:00 UTC?

If anyone else has any comments/suggestions on the next meeting time for the book club feel free to respond :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Side concern: Is it possible to have the calendar at 1 replaced with this calendar?

1 Like

Monday, March 14th at 21:00 UTC sounds good to me!

2 Likes

Hi @jeremycahill! Just to clarify, youā€™re asking if https://openhardware.science/events/ could redirect to the GOSH Google calendar?

1 Like

@briannaljohns Iā€™m asking if the gcal link to which you refer could be used as the new data source for that events page. It appears to be a different, more complete calendar than whatever calendar is being rendered at Upcoming Events | Gathering for Open Science Hardware. The events page is missing the gcal linkā€™s recurring Digital Biology Hangout event, for instance.

2 Likes

Ah yes, @jeremycahill, I understand your question now! This is something I tried working on with Pavilion (who helped us redesign the GOSH website earlier this year) and we found that WordPress didnā€™t have the functionality for us to use the google calendar as a data source - so instead I have been manually adding events. However, I can go ahead and start adding the Digital Biology Hangout events to it, if you would like!

1 Like