GOSH book club relaunch

Monday, March 14th at 21:00 UTC sounds good to me!

2 Likes

Hi @jeremycahill! Just to clarify, you’re asking if https://openhardware.science/events/ could redirect to the GOSH Google calendar?

1 Like

@briannaljohns I’m asking if the gcal link to which you refer could be used as the new data source for that events page. It appears to be a different, more complete calendar than whatever calendar is being rendered at Upcoming Events | Gathering for Open Science Hardware. The events page is missing the gcal link’s recurring Digital Biology Hangout event, for instance.

2 Likes

Ah yes, @jeremycahill, I understand your question now! This is something I tried working on with Pavilion (who helped us redesign the GOSH website earlier this year) and we found that WordPress didn’t have the functionality for us to use the google calendar as a data source - so instead I have been manually adding events. However, I can go ahead and start adding the Digital Biology Hangout events to it, if you would like!

1 Like

Hi all! A reminder that the next GOSH book club meeting is happening soon! Join us on March 14th at 21:00 UTC to discuss Against Intellectual Monopoly - we will meet via this Jitsi link!

1 Like

How long is the bookclub meeting? When is the next one? Will the bookclub be recorded? Else, how can I take part from here on. (21:00 UTC is the time for goodnight stories for our 6yrs old; though I’d of course love to read her Against Intellectual Monopoly :slight_smile: as this is going to be ever more important for her I assume). Thank you.

1 Like

Hi @ProofingFuture.EU! The meetings are usually one hour long, and typically not recorded. I don’t know when the next meeting will be, but I guess we can discuss here!

From the discussion today: a legal ruling on web scraping as an act of “copyright infringement” via the technical necessity to store the site code temporarily in the browser/computer’s cache. Facebook, Inc. v. Power Ventures, Inc. - Wikipedia.

Facebook, Inc. v. Power Ventures, Inc. is a lawsuit brought by Facebook in the United States District Court for the Northern District of California alleging that Power Ventures Inc., a third-party platform, collected user information from Facebook and displayed it on their own website. Facebook claimed violations of the CAN-SPAM Act, the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act (“CFAA”), and the California Comprehensive Computer Data Access and Fraud Act.[1] According to Facebook, Power Ventures Inc. made copies of Facebook’s website during the process of extracting user information. Facebook argued that this process causes both direct and indirect copyright infringement. In addition, Facebook alleged this process constitutes a violation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (“DMCA”). Finally, Facebook also asserted claims of both state and federal trademark infringement, as well as a claim under California’s Unfair Competition Law (“UCL”).

2 Likes

Hi all! Thanks for another great book club meeting today, it was lovely chatting with @jeremycahill and @hpy about this month’s reading!

We decided that we will do a poll for the next book club reading since there has been some interest from others on the forum thread. Please fill out this poll to decide on the next book, based on the reading list here (this list is editable so feel free to add to it if you would like!):

• The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
  • Makers, by Cory Doctorow
  • The Misfit Economy by Alexa Clay & Kyra Maya Phillips
  • Laboratory Life: The Construction of Scientific Facts, by Bruno Latour
  • Everything for Everyone: The Radical Tradition That Is Shaping the Next Economy, by Nathan Schneider
  • QED: The Strange Theory of Light and Matter, by Richard Feynman
  • The End of Everything, by Katie Mack
  • Sapiens: A brief history of humankind, by Yuval Noah Harari
  • Common as Air, by Lewis Hyde
  • The Gift, by Lewis Hyde
  • Better Work Together: How the Power of Community Can Transform Your Business, by the Enspiral Foundation
  • Doughnut Economics, by Kate Raworth
  • Hardware Hacker, by Bunnie Huang
  • Building Open Source Hardware: DIY Manufacturing for Hackers and Makers, by Alicia Gibb

0 voters

We also plan on having the next book club meeting during the last week of April and wanted to do a poll with everyone to decide a date. Fill out this poll to find the next GOSH book club meeting time.

Thanks so much!
Bri

1 Like

@briannaljohns I remember you suggesting pedagogy of the oppressed in a meet last year. Can we add it to the poll too?

1 Like

Hi @tarunima - thanks for reminding me! I’ve made a new poll that includes Pedagogy of the Oppressed and added it to the reading list :slight_smile:

• The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
  • Makers, by Cory Doctorow
  • The Misfit Economy by Alexa Clay & Kyra Maya Phillips
  • Laboratory Life: The Construction of Scientific Facts, by Bruno Latour
  • Everything for Everyone: The Radical Tradition That Is Shaping the Next Economy, by Nathan Schneider
  • QED: The Strange Theory of Light and Matter, by Richard Feynman
  • The End of Everything, by Katie Mack
  • Sapiens: A brief history of humankind, by Yuval Noah Harari
  • Common as Air, by Lewis Hyde
  • The Gift, by Lewis Hyde
  • Better Work Together: How the Power of Community Can Transform Your Business, by the Enspiral Foundation
  • Doughnut Economics, by Kate Raworth
  • Hardware Hacker, by Bunnie Huang
  • Building Open Source Hardware: DIY Manufacturing for Hackers and Makers, by Alicia Gibb
  • Pedagogy of the Oppressed, by Paulo Freire

0 voters

1 Like

Thank you @briannaljohns and @jeremycahill for a nice meeting this week. I had a quick look at the Facebook lawsuit you linked to above, wow! Hope to see you, @tarunima and @ProofingFuture.EU next time. :slight_smile:

I’ve voted in the poll, and added Presentation Zen to the reading list. It’s a great book on how to think about effective communication, not just when making presentations. Well worth a read especially when we want to do outreach around open source software and hardware. IMHO open source communities have historically been terrible at outreach and communication… :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks to everyone who filled out all these different polls! It looks like Pedagogy of the Oppressed, by Paulo Freire, will be our next book club reading! You can access a PDF of the book (in English) here.

The next book club meeting will be Tuesday, April 26th, at 11 am UTC. I have added this to the GOSH Google Calendar as well!

2 Likes

Hoping to join the next meeting :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Hi all! Hope the reading is going well :slight_smile: Just a reminder that the next book club is coming up soon! It will be next week, on Tuesday, April 26th, at 11 am UTC. We will be discussing Pedagogy of the Oppressed, by Paulo Freire, and you can access a PDF of the book (in English) here .

We are meeting via this Jisti link!

A reminder that the next book club meeting is happening in a few hours! You can join via this Jisti link - hope to see you there!

1 Like

Unfortunately I can’t join today but I hope to join the next one - look forward to hearing what the next book is or what the options are. Have a good discussion today!

2 Likes

Hi @annasera we look forward to having you at the next one! Feel free to fill out your availability and select a book to read on this forum post :slight_smile:

1 Like

In the book meeting today, we’d like to add The Hardware Hacker by Bunnie Huang to the reading list. The following is my positive review of the book from 2018:

IMO good design is key to successful open source hardware. I stumbled upon this book: Designs for the Pluriverse - Radical Interdependence, Autonomy, and the Making of Worlds by Arturo Escobar which may be of interest:

…Escobar argues for the development of an “autonomous design” that eschews commercial and modernizing aims in favor of more collaborative and placed-based approaches…

2 Likes