Writing an open hardware handbook ?!

Hello everyone,

This is a follow up on Looking for various OScH mentorship and/or training materials and programs where some links to training material was collected.

Some of us* are planning to use the turing way book dash hub organised in Delft 24-26 of Mai 2023 to get to write some more comprehensive handbook for open hardware, leveraging both the turing way book and the material available.

After discussion with Santosh, I have prepared a draft of a table of content, so we can best discuss it before the event. A version open for comments and edits is available at An open hardware handbook - HackMD

If you would like to participate (either on site or remotely, synchronously or asynchronously) in this initiative, please reach to us here.

I wish you a nice end of the week!

. * Probably 6-8 people including: @jerzeek, @jurra , Santosh Ilamparuthi, @rmies, @jarancio and me (@Juliencolomb )

6 Likes

+1 :slight_smile:

Also, there are a bunch of new roadmap actions related to “booklets” for OScH development. The roadmap working group will post soon about this (@briannaljohns @nat), but if you want to take a look now they are up over here.

It may be a good idea to contact folks that subscribed to the “booklet actions” directly.

Glad to see this happening!

1 Like

+1

Would be interested in contributing to the initiative, remotely (both synchronously and asynchronously).

1 Like

This looks like a good initiative. I think testing and characterization needs to be a big chapter in this book. It’s necessary for hardware that are built especially for open science to be testable. Often times the assembly and reproduction process can have issues that makes it impossible to test, hence testing is important.

krishna

1 Like

:tada:I’m here now (Jerry de Vos @jerzeek)

1 Like

Hi @Juliencolomb and thanks for posting this, I, too, saw the Turing Way book dash and was thinking of ideas. An open source hardware handbook sounds great!

@Moe and I co-wrote a book chapter on legal considerations and open source licenses for hardware. Would it be useful to adapt some of that into a part of this handbook you have in mind? Or do you already have what you need for it?

P.S. I see you have a section “2.3 Harware licenses”, though I don’t think it is only applicable to hardware as research outputs. Instead, open source licenses should be used for all open source hardware, research or not!

@hpy that sounds great, is the book chapter already published? what book will it be? The Turing Way tries to link to existing resources instead of rewriting elements, so it would be great to reuse, indeed.

The question of making the book about “open hardware” or “open research hardware” is a good one, also linked to the RDA group trying to define what is research hardware.…

@rkrishnasanka good points, as above. PS : if this comes to be too long for The Turing Way, one can make a short summary there and link to a more detailed resource. We may also build content that would not end up in The Turing Way book, if we need or want to.

thank you all and keep it coming !! :pray: :pray: :pray:

1 Like

It is the book by the Open!Next project of which @Moe and I were a part. The content is done and hopefully it will be published this year, but as you might know publishing a book takes a long time. It will be published with an open source license though, so the material can definitely be adapted and remixed.

Anyone interested to participate, please fill the turing way poll, so that organisation will be easier: The Turing Way - Book dash application

If you would like to come to Delft, please write me directly on top of filling the form.
If you would need/want financial support to participate, also write to me.
julien.colomb [at] hu-berlin.de
@SynBio101 @rkrishnasanka @hpy @naikymen

2 Likes

Hi @Juliencolomb: I (sadly!!) can’t make it to Delft, and won’t have time to fully participate in the book dash.

However, if it will be useful I am happy to adapt the licensing chapter I wrote to fit what you need. I’m also happy to ask my co-author @Moe about this. Will this one task be helpful? It might just be putting the text of the chapter up somewhere and adding a link to it in what you are creating. Let me know what you think.

Done :slight_smile: thanks! I’d be participating remotely. I expect some timezone difficulties, after looking at the options in the form.

I’d like to ask Julian (@julianstirling) if it would be ok to reuse the docs section I contributed over here, once upon a time.

Best!

1 Like

Yeah. We never moved forward to that. Could you open an issue to note what is used elsewhere and then we can edit/cite if work on that paper ever picks up

2 Likes

Done, thanks Julian.

I hope it does :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is such a great idea! Added some points on business models and community building, which I would be willing to contribute to. Sadly, I won’t be able to attend the book dash.

2 Likes

I’ve registered for the TW book dash :slight_smile:

Did I need to? xD

What are the next steps @Juliencolomb?

1 Like

you should have received an email from the turing way, did you not? (gmail account)

Yes, but the process has been rather overwhelming, and I became a bit disoriented.

I say this because there are “Pre-Book Dash onboarding sessions” on the 9th (to which I cannot attend), and in that case I had to email someone to attend to a “Collaboration Cafe” on the 3rd (today, which I had to miss). There are also about 3 to 5 etherpads, adding to my confusion. :sweat_smile:

Are you planning to meet at a certain day/time?