UROŠ updates: DIY microscopy revisited

We have started with our UROŠ Temporary Lab in Maribor, @gaudi and @pin have arrived, and we continously collaborate online with our researchers in other parts of the world, @nanocastro @squaresolid @TAKE @julianC @Fran . Ping us here as reply if you also want to join the global remote research group!

Finally we got around to revisit some of our older webcam DIY microscope projects. Documenting on the hackteria wiki.

Fluorescence Microscope
Also we are releasing the new design of a 3d printable fluorescence microscope.

Soil Microscopy
We will have another meeting on Friday, 15th Oct, 14:00 CEST to discuss the use of low-cost microscopes for workshops on studying microscopic life in soils, a little fanzine in the making…

DIY Microscopes All-Stars Gallery
Now also putting together a collection of all those low-cots / open / DIY microscope setups:

3 Likes

Cool! I’m following the activities from distance. Keep posting!

Currently I do not have much time at hand though. :stuck_out_tongue:

Out of interest, what microscopes are there? Also optical? And in the case of the fluorescence ones, do you use some fluorophores?

How can I join the call on Friday?

If people want to join our calls, follow the calendar in the wiki.

All the online interactions are on our BigBlueButton. We regularly meet on Mondays, 15:00 CEST:
https://www.digitale-gesellschaft.ch/pub/hackteria

1 Like

Did anybody once made an overview and comparison of different webcams, pi-cams, checking their performance, prize, availability for low-cost microscopy?

Let’s start one here as wiki:

Cheap webcams (3$)

PS3 Eye cam (mbe outdated)

Logitech C270 (30-35$)

CMOS chip Sony IMX335 (25-40$)

Raspi cam V1 / V2?

1 Like

A few years ago we (with @ffederici) did a sort of review of cameras an optics to look at yeast for our Brewermicro project

2 Likes

Hi all
on friday we (with @pcremades and @naikymen) had a great workshop about DIY soil microscopy

Here you can find some more videos and pictures we took
We also collaborated with @julianchollet and @dusjagr on a small zine/guide to soil microscopy (english and spanish) that maybe is useful to some else.

We will be talking a little bit more about our UROS remote residence in Mendoza during the next GOSH community call
Saludos

6 Likes

Having fun in the wood workshop, i just made a new microscopy stage design, with a vintage look and a flat broad sample surface withoug anything obstructing to place samples of whatever size.
Also changed the classic “screw and rubberband” method for focusing the stage, to threaded M4 inserts that can be glued into the wood and a turnable screw to adjust the level of the sample stage by slightly tilting.

As mentioned above. We have explored some new cameras, to make more quality images to be used in labs (unlike the cheap ones that are super good enough for workshops).
Experiences with the IMX335 are sofar amazing. Good colours, framerate and 5Mpixel seems to be the way to go.

What I want to develop now is a 3d printed case to fit the camera pcb with a dedicated lens holder, that would allow to slide / switch between 2 different lenses. Thus changing the magnification while looking at the same spot.

Anybody wants to join to design such a thing?

This filter switcher modules are also intersting…

1 Like