Seeking YOUR support for our depth-sensing camera trap project

Hello everyone,

With my original background in ecology/conservation, I’m working on an open science project to give motion-sensing wildlife camera traps binocular vision (as extensively discussed in this thread, with many thanks to @hikinghack, @Harold, and others for great ideas). The goal is for camera traps to capture spatial information along with wildlife photos. This data has the potential to greatly ease estimating wildlife populations.

I’ve been working with some of you on solutions, and @jmwright has devised a 3D-printed stereo lens attachment for camera traps, which doesn’t add to the power envelope. We hope this will be easier than modifying camera traps or building them from scratch to provide 3D vision.

To that end, @jmwright, @jpearce and I started a crowdfunding campaign on Experiment.com :moneybag:, and thanks to generous contributors (including @julianstirling!) we’re already at 92% of our funding goal but with only 9 days left!

I’m posting this here to request your support and spread the word. Any contribution, even just $1 will help! This project may also be of interest as demonstrating a different way of funding open science. If successful, our design of the stereo lens for camera traps and any data obtained will be published as open data and open source hardware.

Please click here to see our project, then click the “Back This Project” button.

I want to thank the Experiment.com Low-Cost Tools for Science Challenge (discussed here) led by @shannond and @jcm80 for their incredibly generous support, and @davidtlang and the Experiment.com team for their help with this project! :bowing_woman: :hearts:

P.S. To be clear, I’m posting this wearing my hat as a GOSH community member. Neither this post nor the camera trap project are in any way related to my role as a GOSH Community Council member.

6 Likes

For anyone who is interested, the hardware source repository is here and the hardware documentation is here. The design is a work in progress, and will likely change rapidly as I receive feedback from @hpy once the project is (hopefully) funded.

3 Likes

I really hope this project is funded! It has a strong teams and I am sure will produce great results.

3 Likes