Seeking Partner Locations for the Next Gosh Gathering!

Hello!
We’re excited to share that we have begun to organize the next GOSH Gathering. We have been meeting with a working group to begin to plan logistics.

We are looking for locations and partners for the next gathering. The ideal place:

• can host an international group of likely 100-200 people,
  • have interesting connections with the local science and hardware communities,
  • can host both talks, workshops, and maybe field trips
  • is accessible to those in our broad, international group,
  • is enthusiastic about making lots of connections with the broader GOSH communities.

A big plus is if your group has already run events such as these!

Our first course of action is to find eager groups that want to partner with us and compile a list of possible places to hold the next GOSH Gathering 2024/2025 (like this)! Then we will figure out a budget and other logistics that will help us decide which location to ultimately go with!

If you know of any great places/groups that would be great to host a next GOSH Gathering, please contact us or reply to this thread!

Ñeque_Agouti

By the way, the current working group consists of:

ana julia de lucia, lee wilkins, Maria Frangos, Linda Aidoo, Nat, Kyle Chisholm, Kaddu Karl, Andrew Quitmeyer, Yan Kay Ho, Abdoul Kafid Toko, Moritz Maxeiner, Sidney D, Laura Olalde, Juan Pedro Maestre Wic, Marc Dusseiller, Gourav, Ebuka Ezeike , and of course @briannaljohns
and we have been meeting every two weeks!

4 Likes

I am from Tanzania and this sounds like something we can gladly do. The host would be the Nelson Mandela African Institution of Science and Technology (NM-AIST) www.nm-aist.ac.tz The group is callend STEMi Africa. Lots of options for site seeing and also visiting local citizen science and STEM groups

4 Likes

This is really nice and exactly what we are looking for. Do you have direct contact? like an actual human being with an email and possibly a phone number?

Also, if you are interested in serving as a bridge, I can contact you separately.

Cheers and thank you so much.

2 Likes

It’s a great opportunity and thanks for sharing, I know of a group in rhino camp refugees settlement Uganda,am referring to them www.cictech.online for more information thanks

2 Likes

www.cictech.online

1 Like

Excited this is happening! I wonder if @dusjagr or @lizbarry have any connections in Taiwan? It’s fairly easy to get a visa, no COVID-19 entry restrictions anymore, and very LGBTQ+ friendly.

That said, I’m excited about the possibility of a Gathering somewhere in Africa!

2 Likes

Kenya will soon be visa-free to African visitors.

Too many of our African community members have been unable to attend a gathering because of visa issues. Both for Global gatherings, and I remember pains with AfricaOSH too. If we do have a GOSH in Africa I think we need to specifically consider how to minimise visa issues for Africans.

4 Likes

So cool!!!

1 Like

I want to list Kakani, a little village to the northwest of Kathmandu as a potential venue. Kakani is around 27 km from the International Airport in Kathmandu. The scout center at Kakani should be big enough to host the gathering, lodging facilities are available in the center, and also in several hotels and resorts around the area. We have an outdoor learning center about an hour-long hike from the venue and access to local community schools. The venue also falls in a national park, and during the autumn opens to a wide view of the Himalayas. Also, we could arrange contacts with most local science and hardware communities in Kathmandu.

5 Likes

So awesome Rupesh! Can you give me a good email of a key contact person for whom to discuss things more indepthly with?

1 Like

Kwajesteven14@gmail.com
Creative innovation center.
c.i.c.tech2021@gmail.com
emmastepper194@gmail.com

Thanks

2 Likes

To support the Kenya idea, here’s the e-visa site: evisa.go.ke | Republic of Kenya Electronic Visa System, and for information on LGBTQ rights and resources in Kenya, see the National Gay and Lesbian Human Rights Commission or the Gay and Lesbian Coalition of Kenya (galck+).

I’m going to Nairobi for peacebuilding work at the end of this month and would love to meet any GOSHers in the area.

3 Likes

That would be great to get connections!

2 Likes

Hon

Just wanted to put in a plug for Bali Fablab. I am sort of affiliated with them in that I know the organizers and I will help out with the gathering if it happens there! They meet all the bullet point requirements, and are really keen to host open source community and are already growing an amazing community within their first year of existing. Happy to share more if you have any questions for the Bali Fablab (Elaine, my main contact there and I can start setting up biweekly conversations and can be in contact with any of the working group members.)

4 Likes

We’ve already pre-loaded your awesome information for Bali fablab into our form and we are about to send our follow-up email! Super awesome thanks so much!

3 Likes

+1 for Kenya, and my apologies, I’m new around here, but are the global GOSH gatherings hybrid events, so that anyone anywhere can participate without the ($ + CO2) cost of flights & hotels?

I have some contacts in media/broadcast services in Nairobi, and I’d be delighted to help try to make the gathering of equal value to those who can’t make it in person.

5 Likes

In general the gosh community does a whole bunch of online events and basically tries to keep the gathering going on in a “virtual way” constantly. And then the physical gatherings have been about trying to get people together and do things in a way that is much more difficult online, So there’s been much more emphasis on the physical gathering and little to no hybrid part of the event.

But there’s some people in the working group who are discussing these concepts as we speak for the next one.

2 Likes

Also fyi in general a little more than half of the budget for the event goes towards helping people who need it with the cost to get there and attend :slight_smile:

1 Like

That sounds excellent, how do you address the CO2 cost?

1 Like