Plan for managing GOSH Roadmap actions after the 2022 Gathering!

Hi GOSH Community Members!

On behalf of the GOSH roadmap working group, I am sharing our plan for managing the roadmap actions from the most recent Gathering in Panama!

Table of Contents

1. Background
  2. Roadmap working group
  3. Managing roadmap actions using Gitlab
  4. I’ve signed up for an action, what happens next?
  5. I didn’t sign up for an action, but I’d like to join in!
  6. I am working on an action related to the GOSH Roadmap that I would like to add to Gitlab

Background

During the first day of the Gathering, we revisited the GOSH roadmap by inviting participants to share what actions they have achieved towards making open science hardware ubiquitous. Some examples include:

• OScH residencies at regional events and gatherings
  • The creation of OScH journals, such as the Journal of Open Science Hardware
  • The Open Hardware Makers program
  • UNESCO recognition of OScH
  • ReGOSH
  • OScH used in response to the COVID-19 pandemic
  • Training sessions for distributed manufacturing

Check out this photo to see more examples of what we’ve accomplished as a community!

On the last day of the Gathering Jenny Molloy (@jcm80) and Shannon Dosemagen (@shannond) led a collaborative session where participants could collectively document and prioritise actions that can be taken after the 2022 Gathering. Once the actions were documented and prioritized, community members then “signed up” to any actions they wanted to contribute to. Some examples of actions include:

• OScH ambassador handbook
  • OScH project directory
  • Elevator pitch for OScH
  • Pilot distributed manufacturing collaborative

The complete list of actions, and participants who signed up for them, was given to the GOSH Roadmap working group, which is overseeing the management of GOSH roadmap actions.

Roadmap working group

The GOSH roadmap working group oversees the management of the roadmap actions and consists of the following community members:

Managing roadmap actions using Gitlab

The actions that were decided on at GOSH 2022 have been added to the GOSH Community Gitlab so that their progress can be easily tracked. The actions have been grouped by common themes and categorized as either Epics (denotes larger-scale projects) or issues (individual tasks for smaller-scale actions) depending on complexity.

Roadmap actions are diverse in scope; some are more abstract and others can be mapped to concrete tasks. With this in mind, the working group mapped these actions to Epics or Issues in the following way:

• 27 actions consisting of concrete tasks were mapped to roadmap issues, which can be browsed in the gosh-roadmap project, grouped by “Epics”.
  • 18 roadmap Epics were created to either group Issues with a common theme, or to map the actions with a broader scope. These can be browsed in the gosh-community Epics board .
  • Additional top-level Epics were created to group all Epics to 5 main themes.

For a visual of how we grouped actions into Epics, check out this spreadsheet.

Those who have signed up for specific actions will be assigned to their respective epic or task/issue on Gitlab. The goal is to make all of our projects easily accessed and tracked, allowing new participants to join and get caught up easily. We encourage everyone to document their work in GitLab for ease of access and documentation across our community; however, the Roadmap Working Group will also run periodic updates on all projects if needed.

I’ve signed up for an action, what happens next?

If you signed up for an action at the Gathering in Panama, you will receive an email from the Roadmap working group soon with more information on how to use Gitlab to track the progress you’ve made on your action.

Every three months, someone from the roadmap group will check in to see if progress has been made on the action you’ve signed up for. If no progress has been made in a year, we will ask for feedback if the action was not carried out or ask you to look for new members to work on the action before closing the action on Gitlab. Actions can always be re-opened by community members that wish to work on them.

I didn’t sign up for an action, but I’d like to join in!

Please browse the list of Epics and Issues in the GOSH Roadmap or on this spreadsheet. Once you find an interesting action, you can join by doing one of the following options:

1. Leave a comment in the Issue or Epic to let its participants know you want to join in.
  2. Leaving your name next to an action on this spreadsheet
  3. Send an email to roadmap@openhardware.science.

Some actions are only tracked in GitLab, be ready to follow links to other forums or websites where participants are getting the work done.

I am working on an action related to the GOSH Roadmap that I would like to add to Gitlab

If you are working on an action that is aligned with the GOSH Roadmap but not listed on Gitlab, please share it on this forum thread (or send an email to roadmap@openhardware.science) and add it to this spreadsheet.

2 Likes

Hello! I’ve been reading about the GOSH roadmap with the intention of participating in some of the proposed actions. I’ve signed up for two for now to better understand the working dynamics.

Furthermore, I’d like to suggest adding the “Development of open scientific tools for participatory environmental monitoring” as an action. This area aligns with the work we’ve been doing through reGOSH Latin America, and several of us are coming together from our individual projects. Recently, we connected with colleagues from Chile, Mendoza, and Buenos Aires to collaborate on this matter.

Is there anyone else interested in joining this action? I’ve added it to the “post-GOSH 2022 roadmap actions” tab to be included in GitLab.

Abrazos!
Kevin

3 Likes