GOSH Community Governance Working Group update and next community call: Tuesday 14 July, 14:00 UTC/GMT

Hi All

A reminder that the next GOSH Community Call is coming up on Tuesday 14 July, 14:00 UTC/GMT. In this call, we will discuss next steps in establishing a community governance council and progressing with the grant activities as well as on-going community activities like improvement of the GOSH forum.

Sign up here!

Note: we are using Zoom because we need the call to work well for up to 40 people. You can join the discussion on open source options for the future and @kaspar has kindly installed an event plugin to the forum which we will try out for sign-up next time.

Agenda

  1. Welcome and brief update on GOSH grant and non-profit
  2. Update on GOSH activities
  3. Introduction to the community governance working group - what other questions should we address?
  4. New features on GOSH forum and other web tools - what should be the next steps and priorities?
  5. Thanks and closing remarks

Background information for call

Please read the notes from the call in June and the community governance working group update below. We have also listed conversations regarding GOSH website, forum and integrations that you may wish to peruse for agenda item 4!

Summary of last Community Call in June 2020

Community Governance Working Group Update

Please find below an update on setting up a community governance working group to take forward next steps based on the questions raised at the June community call and in the subsequent thread on the forum. We have gathered all those questions that related to governance below and answered them if possible or added them to the list for the working group to answer, working with the broader community in the coming weeks and months.

Huge thanks to the >20 people who volunteered to be part of the working group and will continue to play a vital role moving the community governance conversation forward.

Criteria for GOSH community governance working group membership

Over the past 18 months, an ad hoc team of previous GOSH organizers (including Francois, Jenny, Greg, Julieta, Shannon and Fernan) have been facilitating a conversation on community governance. Following exciting progress for the community, including obtaining support for two years of activities, this work is to be taken forward by a working group tasked with addressing questions related to the community governance structure that emerged from a community call in June 2020.

The most important feature of the working group is representation of the wider community so in developing its structure, we considered the following criteria:

  1. History with GOSH. Significant work has been done since 2015 by the GOSH community to get us to where we are at in 2020. We have prioritized identifying working group members based on their previous engagement with GOSH activities. There will be many opportunities for others new to the community to get involved in GOSH activities, other organizing committees, and respond to consultations by this working group.
  2. Regional representation and demographic equity. GOSH events have maintained a commitment to broad regional representation and equitable demographics. As the working group was created, we kept in mind our goals around demographics for the global event (noting that overlaps are possible): Women, trans, and/or non-conforming (52%); People of color, Indigenous people, and people from the Majority World (52%); Unaffiliated, community-based organizations and NGOs (33%).
  3. Size of the group. To balance being effective and representative, we have designated a working group size of eleven people, representing the five main regions participating in GOSH activities and at the same time adequately addressing demographic diversity and ensuring a diverse range of perspectives and relevant experiences in governance and community. One member of the working group will be a representative of the board of the GOSH US nonprofit that is managing GOSH core funding.

The current working group will serve in a transitional role, working with the broader GOSH community to establish the framework within which a longer-termed community governance structure will be seated. The GOSH community will have every opportunity to participate in, and comment on, this process.

GOSH Governance Working Group Members

  • Juan Pedro Maestre
  • Greg Austic
  • Andre Chagas
  • Julieta Arancio
  • Thomas Mboa
  • Obasegun Ayodele
  • Gayatri Buragohain
  • Ji Li
  • Paz Bernaldo
  • Marina Freitas
  • Jenny Molloy (as the representative from the GOSH US nonprofit that is managing GOSH funding)

Governance questions raised during the GOSH Community Call in June 2020:

  • What is a Community Governance Council?

    • This is the working title for the group who will have specific roles in community governance. The community governance working group will work with the broader community to determine its structure.
  • Is the Community Governance Council legally part of the entity?

    • This is to be determined. The GOSH nonprofit board are consulting a lawyer on legal and liability implications.
  • What types of decisions are located in this Council? Which are not?

    • The community governance working group will work with the broader community to answer this question. There are specific decisions related to the GOSH 501c3 organisation and the Sloan Foundation grant which for legal reasons need to remain with the board of the 501c3 and the named investigators on the grant (Jenny Molloy and Shannon Dosemagen).
  • How are decisions made?

    • The community governance working group will work with the broader community to answer this question.
  • In the future, would it be useful to have a second base for the NGO?

    • This may turn out to be the case and there is nothing to preclude this from happening in the future.
  • Which are the responsibilities of the community manager?

    • The community governance working group will work with the broader community to answer this question along with the named investigators on the grant who are responsible for ensuring the funded activities are delivered (Jenny Molloy and Shannon Dosemagen).
  • Could the governance model be distributed in geographical groups?

    • The community governance working group will work with the broader community to answer this question.

Summary of questions for GOSH community governance working group to resolve

  • Structure and terms of community governance group(s)
  • What types of decisions are located in community governance group(s) and which in the broader community
  • How decisions are made
  • How the community gets involved in the decision-making process
  • How membership of the community governance group(s) turns over
  • How new members are brought on the community governance group(s) and onboarded
  • How do disagreements at the level of community governance group(s) get mediated
  • How to indicate conflicts of interest
  • Specification and responsibilities for the GOSH Community Manager
  • How do decisions from the community move to either the Board and/or grant PI’s to ensure spending is within the guidelines and directive of each set of funds
  • And others to be determined…

GOSH Web Update

Check out below the fantastic and energetic work of GOSH volunteers including @julianstirling and @kaspar to improve and add features to the GOSH Forum and work on setting up better open tools for community collaboration. Julian and Kaspar will update on this work during the call and also ask for suggestions of futre priorities.




2 Likes

I am not sure if it is just me but I have received an email from eventbrite that tells me the meeting is both in 2 hours and tomorrow:

The same email also has the date of the last meeting:
image

Just to confirm, the meeting is tomorrow?

1 Like

Yes, confirmed it’s tomorrow at 10ET (I received the same email but when I opened it it says "it starts in one day and then linked to the June info as well).

You are not alone @julianstirling. I have received the same email.

Sorry, my fault - Eventbrite is not as smart as I thought, I reset the delivery times of the auto-reminder emails and it turns out that it doesn’t update the message automatically. The Zoom link is the same as the June meeting.

I fixed the one tomorrow to say the correct thing!

1 Like

Jenny I missed this… sorry I didn’t see it till later.

Is there any way we can use a public calendar (I think GOSH has one) to put in these events? Or I just need some additional heads up or something. If it’s just me and everyone else made it then I guess it’s my fault, but maybe if it’s helpful for others that’d be awesome. Sorry I missed it!

1 Like

Same here. Really sorry I missed the meeting. Hope it was productive!

Hi all,

I got to the meeting late, only catched the last 10 minutes. So I don’t have all the context, but I do have experience with governance and open networks, so I am going to drop two resources here for you to get inspired and to remix.

Feel free to ping me for specific questions. Best thing is to sent me a direct email, since I don’t have the time to follow this forum closely.

Governance Canvas - in the same spirit as the bussiness model canvas, helps you create governance.

Governance - page on Open Value Network wiki
http://valuenetwork.referata.com/wiki/Governance

More about me here.
https://www.sensorica.co/affiliates/tibi

1 Like

Hi All

Please find the notes from the community call below - further comments and suggestions welcome.

Our next steps from the call are:

  1. Sharing these notes on the forum [Done!]
  2. Working group to meet and plan out its activities, return with draft proposal in 60 days, based on reviewing other governance models, consulting with community.
  3. Community invited to work on parallel issues: GOSH website and forum, GOSH event model, GOSH writing workshops.

More information on # 3 coming from the relevant point people soon!

Jenny


Minutes from GOSH Community Call - July 2020 Agenda

14 July 2020, 14:00 UTC

Background to call: https://forum.openhardware.science/t/gosh-community-governance-working-group-update-and-next-community-call-tuesday-14-july-14-00-utc-gmt/2412

Agenda

  1. Welcome and brief update on GOSH grant and non-profit [Shannon]

  2. Update on GOSH activities [Jenny]

  3. Introduction to the community governance working group - what other questions should we address? [Julieta]

  4. New features on GOSH forum and other web tools - what should be the next steps and priorities? [Julian and Kaspar]

  5. Thanks and closing remarks [Julieta]

Attending:

Jenny Molloy; Julieta Arancio; Francois Grey; Shannon Dosemagen; Julian Stirling; Gustavo Pereyra Irujo; Miguel Novik;Tobias Wenzel; Allen Gunn; Alison Parker; Harold Tay; Marina de Freitas; Richard Bowman; Andre M Chagas ;Liz Barry; Gonzalo Carrasco

Agenda Notes:

[1] Welcome and brief update on GOSH grant and non-profit - Shannon explained the status of setting up the 501c3 (US non-profit), which is a legal requirement for being able to process the grant. This is progressing smoothly.

[2] Update on GOSH activities - Jenny explained how the 11-person community governance working group was selected, based in part on a list of 20 persons who offered to contribute, as well as a set of criteria including geographic diversity, experience with GOSH, manageable size. The working group is part of a bootstrapping process to set up a long-term governance structure for GOSH. The working group has a 60-day timeframe to present a plan for the future governance structure to the community. The working group will use that time to establish themselves as a group, review other successful governance models and discuss key issues with the wider GOSH community, as they work on drafting the plan.

In parallel with this work, the community is invited to pitch in to moving the following GOSH activities forward: improving the forum and website; setting up the GOSH event model so it can be used elsewhere; writing workshops for policy development. These are all activities for which there is an existing structure for managing progress.

[3] Introduction to the community governance working group - what other questions should we address? - Julieta reminded attendees to check the document linked above (Background to call) for details about the working group. There will also be a section of the Forum dedicated to the working group’s activities, moving forward. The working group will start gathering examples of other community governance models. Miguel suggests starting with a proposal, and then the community discusses the proposal. Julieta confirms this is the way the working group is intended to operate.

Summary of questions for GOSH community governance working group to resolve (summary of questions from last call and further questions gathered in the Forum)

  1. Structure and terms of community governance group(s)
  2. What types of decisions are located in community governance group(s) and which in the broader community
  3. How decisions are made (from Liz) How decisions will be discussed, how will meetings be facilitated in what order people will be consulted. This is a subset of: how meetings and input processes will be facilitated.
  4. How the community gets involved in the decision-making process
  5. How membership of the community governance group(s) turns over
  6. How new members are brought on the community governance group(s) and onboarded
  7. How do disagreements at the level of community governance group(s) get mediated
  8. How to indicate conflicts of interest
  9. Specification and responsibilities for the GOSH Community Manager
  10. How do decisions from the community move to either the Board and/or grant PI’s to ensure spending is within the guidelines and directive of each set of funds
  11. And others to be determined…

New Questions for Scope of the working group (from this call)

  • Prioritisation of questions and topics
  • Request for specific proposal to be sent to the forum
  • How meetings and input processes will be facilitated

[4] New features on GOSH forum and other web tools - what should be the next steps and priorities? - Julian:
A lot of day-to-day GOSH business is documented in Gitlab, so work has been ongoing to link up the Forum and Gitlab more effectively. New features allow some visual join-up between the two. Discussions about how to work online in the current circumstances have generated an interest in adding a chat feature. This now allows quick discussions, rather than filling forum with such chat. Kaspar has enabled putting meetings into forum posts, including Jitsi video chatting.

Julian asks: how can we make the User Experience a bit simpler? Please add to the pad below your ideas of how to make things run more smoothlysmootly/intuitively. Julieta asked: how to on-board foreign participants? Let’s look at other fora that do a good job. Jenny reminds: GOSH looking for IT experts - there is an IT geeks section on the forum. Ping Julian, Kasper or Jenny to add yourself to that.

Julian’s request for input, and some comments made during the call:

  • Suggestions for a better front page layout (perhaps links to other examples)
  • I made this one https://forum.reclone.org/ with a big hader plugin- it is nice for the front page but the header is on every page which is annoying.
  • clean layout with big icons indicating the labels, and maybe a brief explanation of how the labels works, and a simple video of how to set configurations etc.
  • Thoughts on the new features (chat, event planning, jitsi integration)
  • Events would be good, particularly if reminders can be sent easily.
  • Ideas for better integration with the GitLab Roadmap
  • Ideas for better integration with the website

[5] Closing remarks and next steps - Julieta made closing remarks. Next steps include:

  1. Sharing these notes on the forum.
  2. Working group to meet and plan out its activities, return with draft proposal in 60 days, based on reviewing other governance models, consulting with community.
  3. Community invited to work on parallel issues: GOSH website and forum, GOSH event model, GOSH writing workshops.

Thanks a lot @jcm80!

  • Forum: clean layout with big icons indicating the labels, and maybe a brief explanation of how the labels works, and a simple video of how to set configurations etc. [from call]

Regarding this, for reGOSH I made a short video on how to create a user and set up notifications for labels/categories, it’s in YouTube in Spanish but if it’s useful I can translate the captions to EN.

Also, this issue in gitlab hosts the discussion some of us had regarding the forum. One of the examples brought up by Jenny was this forum.

1 Like

Hi all
I have tried to put toghether my understanding about our governance model development in this scribble.


This is, of course, a very simplified personal view and lacks lots of info but I hope it can help.
I think we need to clarify our starting point, I mean, there was already a tacit governance model in the community and there were also several conversations related to this topic in the past. Here I’m just linking the ones that happend at the forum



I believe it is important to visualize the work been done, by who and how, to understand the things that we need to keep/change in this transition.
Finally, some thoughts/concerns around this transition:

  • I think all conversations, of all governance entities should be open in some way (eg meeting minutes, open docs, open listening modes in conversations, …??).
  • Lots of voluntary work to be done… this is an issue because not everyone can put much more of its time here and incentives to do so are not so clear sometimes.
  • It seems we are slightly Sloandependent…
  • The link between the community and the GOSH 503c entity
    Thanks for all the work you are all doing
    Saludos
3 Likes