Depth Sensing Technologies for Camera Traps

@hikinghack Here is a screenshot of the zip-tie shim for the stereoscope that we talked about, and the stl file is available here.

Please let me know if this shim design will work, or if you think it needs to change.

I’ll give some context for everyone else on why I am posting this update:

@hikinghack and I were able to meet up in person this week, and I handed off a stereoscope and camera trap that is headed for Panama. This is the stereoscope that is part of this project on Experiment.com.

I was glad to be able to be able to send this with @hikinghack since shipping things outside the mainland US can be expensive and a pain. I think @hpy is working on a post about some of our experiences and tying it in with distributed manufacturing.

A design change to the stereoscope’s shim came out of the discussion during the meetup. Rubber bands have typically been used to secure the stereoscope to the camera trap, but in the jungle in Panama there are microbes that will eat those rubber bands quickly. So the shim I posted about above is designed to work with zip ties instead.

I am excited to see what @hpy and @hikinghack do with this new opportunity for collaboration.

2 Likes