Regional Events 2022 - Please share updates in the forum!

Hi, @FranQuero and I are just back from a residency in MboaLab Cameroon working on open source qPCR and qLAMP machines. MboaLab is a great place to work and we made good progress and met interesting people. We then also participated in some intense days of AfricaOSH with many regional participants, great panels and talks. Fran and I prepared some special PCBs for the gathering and gave workshops with it (see pictures below). We payed over 200’000 African franc import duties for the PCBs form China. This is one of the opportunities for Beneficial Bio (https://beneficial.bio/), the business part of MboaLab, to distribute bio material and reagents more affordably for local labs and universities.

4 Likes

Hi @Zoe, yes, my collegue Patricia Reis and me are working on a long-term project on speculative feminist hardware made from sustainable, fair-trade materials. It’s an art project. We would love to have more exchange with you and other GOSH organizers. I don’t speak Italian unfortunately, but maybe we can meet on a different regional GOSH event. I at the moment go to Lubijana to Projekt Atol, but will be back in Austria soon. We run a feminist hacklab in Vienna called Mz* Baltazar’s Lab were we hosted the “Feminist hardware festvial” last summer, with many people who are also in the GOSH community (e.g. Mary Maggic).
Best,
Stefanie

2 Likes

cool! we know Mary Magggic very well :slight_smile: as we were in Rijeka together in 2019 for Pirate Care meeting. I’ll get in touch with you after our event is completed.

1 Like

I think it would be great to organize a joint call with “all” (or at least some) of the organizers of those regional events to give feedback to each other and collaboratively write some reflection on what’s the role and importance of them.

It will be very valuable for the future of the GOSH network to think on where to put more or less focus on, when distrubuting existing budgets.

I kinda wrote a little status report on our activities on this other thread:

3 Likes

We’re happy to share some details of our MICROSCAPE regional Gosh event which took place last saturday October 29th.
The main event was focused on using two lightfield-microscopes to explore samples from body fluids and also from the puddles in the neighbourhood, and compare the findings.
The microscopes were equipped with an open hardware 3d printed holder for mobile phone which were downloaded, customised and printed during some warm-up events in the previous weeks.
We also lasercut and 3dprinted some darkfield patches.
This digital fabrication activities were organized on previous mondays, especially to engage teenagers from the neighbourhood (>18 years) in using lasercut and 3dprinters also for open science.

Here’s some pictures:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CkddMQPsV4F/
and videos:
https://www.instagram.com/reel/Ckgy6d2DxFJ/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

We’re still working on a zine we’d like to publish in the next weeks.
Thanks for your support!

2 Likes

Thanks @Zoe super looking forward to the zines, and I like the framing of the first image and how you used stars to hide faces. :face_with_peeking_eye:

BTW it’s difficult for me to see Instagram without an account, are the pictures/videos viewable elsewhere?

1 Like

Hi @hpy ,
I published a visual report and uploaded some pics here .
We asked permission on taking pictures and some didn’t want to be on them, and some other were minors.
best

1 Like

The OScAthon was organized last September, in Peru by our Open Science and Accessibility group, and thanks to the Gathering for Open Science Hardware (GOSH) and the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation support.

The insightful three days featured discussions on open licensing, synbio, workshops on developing open hardware and software, and also the presentation of projects created by participating teams for the Hackathon!

Before, during, and after the event, we posted on iGEM Community social media (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and LinkedIn, and WeChat as our Chinese regional social media channel) about our collaboration with GOSH, the OScA group, and the OScAthon.

In addition, all the recordings from the event (talks+ Hackathon Pitches) are available at the iGEM Video Universe:

3 Likes

This looks really inspiring and cool. Thanks for sharing these photos.

1 Like

Hello cool people,
we finally made the Zine and printed it. Here you can find the digital version. You can use it as a poster or make a proper booklet following the instructions.

have a good day
Zoe

2 Likes

Thanks @Zoe what a neat zine! I like how it can work as a poster and booklet.

I remember making little books with this method in my youth, IIRC there is even a way to put multiple sheets of paper together with this method to create thicker books!

1 Like