Questions about GOSH 2023 Events Funding Program

Hi All

If you have questions or clarifications about the GOSH 2023 Events Funding Program (see thread below for full information), please ask them here in this thread or email admin@openhardware.science.

7 Likes

So happy this is going again! It was what made Dinacon 2022 possible! I swore to not run any large events this year (after the 2 last year), but you all have ways to tempting me :wink:

4 Likes

That looks really nice! :smiley:

(We are working on a citizen architecture / science project in the Hong Kong countryside, although I think precisely that region is not eligible.)

1 Like

Hi @feklee

We have some restrictions on where we can send funds or hold events if that location has been sanctioned or flagged as high risk by the US government, because the funds are situated in the US.

In the case of Hong Kong, if you meet all of the other eligibility criteria and would like to submit an application then reach out via admin@openhardware.science and we will make further enquiries as to the potential restrictions.

Jenny

2 Likes

Very insightful project. My team and I will be working on the Open Science in the area of neuroscience and science and technology studies in Africa.

where can we submit our application?

2 Likes

Hi @akorede

Thanks for your interest in the call! You can find information on where to submit your application in the “How to Apply” section of the call post:

Jenny

2 Likes

What Does * Science and Technology Studies means can you elaborate a bit about this catagory?

1 Like

Hi @Fasil_Tariku we welcome events on advancing open science hardware scholarship across the field of Science and Technology Studies, here are a couple of resources describing the scope of STS:

https://sts.hks.harvard.edu/about/whatissts.html

The list of disciplines provided is illustrative, applications focused on other disciplines that are not explicitly listed are also welcome.

Jenny

1 Like

Hello @jcm80 et al.,

Some of us are talking about applying for an online event focused on open science space hardware :artificial_satellite:. This would gather my/our contacts at NASA, projects already creating open science hardware for space (e.g. OreSat which presented at a recent GOSH Community Call), and other GOSH community members.

Assuming we can get those people to attend, we would like for this gathering (no pun intended!) to (1) share our respective projects and network; (2) workshop and articulate why open source hardware is relevant and valuable for space science (such as for remote sensing for environmental monitoring); (3) and how it might be achieved. Outputs might include blog posts, article(s), a proposed roadmap, session recording(s), etc. We also believe this event would be good publicity for GOSH.

We will of course disclose any possible conflicts of interest, such as me being a GOSH Community Council member (who will not be reviewing any applications!). Looking at last year’s experience with Regional Events where Dinacon was successfully funded, we do not anticipate problems in this regard.

I’d just like to confirm if the above would fall within scope of the current call? If so, we will begin reaching out to possible participants to confirm their attendance.

Thanks!

2 Likes

Hi @hpy

It’s an event on advancing open science hardware in a specific discipline/field (space science), so it’s exactly in scope for the call :slightly_smiling_face:

Jenny

2 Likes

Hi,

I am a postgraduate student based in London working on an open-source hardware project on monitoring water quality powered by Phytoplankton. Am I still eligible to apply for the fund? Can I apply it via my institute?

Many thanks!

2 Likes

Welcome @mariali! Yes, you are very welcome to apply. We would need to send the money to your institute or another organisation but we don’t require institutional approval at the point of application (I can’t speak for your institution on if they would!).

If you’re not sure, that is OK. You can inform us which organisation would receive the funding after your grant is awarded, during the due dilligence phase. You should have an agreed host by then to avoid delays.

I hope that helps!

Jenny

2 Likes

Hi, @mariali! I’m Ye Seong, Sustainability and CSR Manager from Seeed Studio. Just got me curious about your project: what’s the research topic and question, and what’s the outcome document of this project - a thesis, academic article, or? Would you be interested in using this sensor for your project? https://www.seeedstudio.com/RS485-pH-Sensor-S-pH-01B-p-4632.html?queryID=f6aa478d1ff82421ae707e09543f218b&objectID=4858&indexName=bazaar_retailer_products

1 Like

Hi, we have been writing our application for this and I have a question. Is there some text describing GOSH’s values of diversity and inclusion that I can refer to while responding to that particular question?

1 Like

Hi Jenny,

I have just seen that the deadline involves the event to be run before June 2023. In our case the event would be in September. Is it possible to use the funds before June, make an economical report to justify them and then send a second report after the event in September? In our case it would be feasible to spend the funds before June but the event is after the deadline.

Best regards.

2 Likes

Hi @severine.cazaux

We have to submit our final report to the funder at the end of June, so all the activities need to be completed by then to be included in the report. Sorry that the timeline isn’t convenient for your event!

Jenny

2 Likes

Thanks Jenny! We have solved the issue, we will simply organize a pre-event for the residency which will take place before the deadline :slight_smile:

1 Like

Did the results ever come out of that “laaaaaast” round?

2 Likes