The current GOSH Community Council has created a plan for filling the fourth council member seat that is open due to a council member stepping down. Below is the plan:
It has been decided that Liz Barry (@lizbarry) will continue as Council Person for the remainder of that council members term, which ends in 2023. @lizbarry will chair the GOSH Council’s Governance Working Group, in combination with having reduced responsibilities on other GOSH Council topics.
In line with the 2022 GOSH Governance Plan for Seating the 2nd GOSH Community Council, we will elect three new candidates as planned. @lizbarry will serve the remainder of the term of the vacated seat, which is separate from the three being voted on right now.
CONTEXT that led to this decision:
- an OPPORTUNITY: an open seat on the Council that is in the current Council’s discretion to fill
- an INTENTION: to maintain continuity on and advance GOSH’s work on group self-governance
- additional CONTEXT: gender diversity will drop after the next election
- an IDEA: fill vacated council seat with @lizbarry, due to her experience and training in group self-governance. As a bonus, this will increase gender diversity on the Council
SCOPE of this role:
- @lizbarry will continue as Council Person for the remainder of the term of the vacated seat, which ends in 2023. During this time, @lizbarry will chair the GOSH Council’s Governance Working Group, in combination with having reduced responsibilities on other GOSH Council topics.
ACTIVITIES associated with this role:
- Hold monthly “Governance Workshops” for the Council. Topics tp include:
- Provide new Council with an orientation to the work undertaken to date on governance
- Support the next round of “decide how to decide” conversations
- Teach about additional aspects of governance that the Council will be asked to decide on
- Advance, and bring back to the Council and at times the GOSH community, governance policies and documents like Constitution, Memorandums of Understanding (MOUs) with outside entities, glossaries
- Be part of planning the Constitution Writing Workshop for the GOSH Gathering
- Interact with Listening Working Group regarding sense-making and voting on referenda in the community
- Neither required nor expected to vote (or equivalent) on any Community Council topics other than governance policy, governance documents, and listening processes
- REQUEST: @lizbarry will help choose the lead facilitator of the Constitution Writing Workshop.
That’s all for now! Any comments/questions/concerns?