OSH in interview

Dear all,

The open make team has been doing interviews of several OSH makers in academia. Here the open make team and the interviewee are producing blog post derived from the interview transcript. They will be available at interview (shared under a CC-BY license).

The first one describe the white rabbit project at CERN, Javier Serrano and Amanda Diez Frenandez talk about the project, the hardware, the academic outputs and the project participants.

here a teaser:

We decided that we would use standards whenever possible, and when not possible, we would extend the standard. We also decided that we would open source the whole thing and involve commercial companies from day one. These were all very basic decisions in the beginning of the project that ultimately played a key role in the success of White Rabbit."

happy reading!

PS: the website has no comment function. I think it is ok (?) to add comments to the blog entry here.

3 Likes

Great idea!

Today comes a second interview of the open make project: Blogs

@julianstirling explain his experience with the open flexure microscope project.

wanna read a teaser ? Here you are:

We’re very keen for BTech in Tanzania not to be reliant on us. We need to make sure to provide a good enough dossier of how everything works, so that whoever is going to be the legal manufacturer can write a good technical file and convince regulators that they understand it and can maintain it for the future.

2 Likes

Today comes a third interview of the open make project: Blogs

@jerzeek explains his experience with the open plastic scanner project.

One development was keeping the plastic scanner fully open source, try to incorporate more feedback from the community and based on that, build a product like the best possible, open source plastic scanner. Another option would be seeing how this product could be in the hands of people that need it as quickly as possible. I chose the first path.

Today comes a fourth interview of the open make project: Blogs

@robertlread explains his experience with the ventmon project.

One thing we did that I’m very proud of was define a data interface called the Public Invention Respiration Data Standard. […] The technique may very well have been invented 100 times, but no one had taken the time to produce an international standard for it. One team had their own data standard that was different from mine. I wrote an adapter for my data standard into their data standard.