Below are the notes from yesterday’s session on improving the GOSH website, forum and other web-based resources (see background post here).
All the proposed actions arising are now in gitlab: https://gitlab.com/gosh-community/gosh-website/-/issues/
- Contribute your thoughts! please feel free to comment on this thread with additional suggestions or over on gitlab to address existing tasks.
- Join the next meeting: this will be in 3 weeks where we will review progress and finalise the web developer briefing.
Comments in the next two weeks will feed into the brief for a web developer to start improving the website. You will note that we have quite a few tasks to generate on-boarding content and information about the community. If you could contribute please shout! Especially new people who would be willing to review the content and see if it would be helpful to them
Notes from GOSH Website Session on Sat 17 Oct
Relevant previous threads
Website Improvements - http://openhardware.science/
Consider options for website CMS/framework
- Keep WordPress and update
- Keep WordPress (headless WordPress) and build a separate front end
- Build an entirely custom site
- Static site, edit on Github or Gitlab
- Static site with TinaCMS or NetlifyCMS
- Static Site Frameworks: Grav, Hugo
Short-term for community
- Update PHP (@kaspar)
- Migrate hosting (@kaspar)
- Update to latest WP version (@kaspar)
- Update all the WP plugins (@kaspar/@jcm80)
- Change the theme to something that is simpler than X (@jcm80)
- (Help needed!) Try to make Julieta’s homepage suggestion as best we can to link to:
- https://gosh-community.gitlab.io/gosh-okh-search/ ?
Longer term for community
- Consider adding a newsletter
- Consider what areas of interest to highlight on the homepage that can link to forum categories and eventually compilations of GOSH community resources on those topics.
- On-boarding material
- Generate contentfor a get started section - lots of new information! People to contact, on-boarding, joining a local group, how to introduce yourself
- Think about people who have a general interest and how to get them on-board
- Welcome on-board text
- Possibly following up with an on-boarding call
- Produce a slide for people to add their presentations that explain GOSH community - what it is and the values. Should be very easy to use and understand!
- Make a Twitter/Social Media post and image to share
For web dev project
- Cleaner website layout (preferably with a top navigation bar)
- Enable cross-posting blogs to medium/Discourse/Twitter
- New application: have a listing for curated publications for open science hardware
- Add a link to the history of GOSH -
- Search Engine Optimisation
How to make it easier for people to find things they can controbute to?
- Add tag on gitlab: good for newbies
- Add same top navigation bar to the forum it feels joined up with the website (like here https://community.platformio.org/)
- Improve forum layout/theme
- Clean layout with big icons indicating the labels, and maybe a brief explanation of how the labels works, and a simple video of how to set configurations etc.
- Detailed header post as per http://forum.reclone.org/ but better (this one appears on every page which is annoying).
- Better on-boarding for non-English speaking participants
- Integrate better with the GitLab Roadmap
- Make the category dropdown search bar show the subcategories
- Search Engine Optimisation
We put together a proposal for the forum categories which you can read here: