NASA TOPS open science Community Forum on 9 February 2023

Thanks Pen,

I really hope it goes like that for me too, I get a little bit star-struck (pun intended) sometimes! :slight_smile:

1 Like

It took about a week for the open source hardware administrator to get back to me yesterday from NASA,
Jim Brenner

2 Likes

Excellent, so hope restored!! :slight_smile: :herb:

1 Like

From the NASA administrator on 2/6/23:

Just recently we held a community call on the current solicitation, [F.15 High Priority Open Source Science] (NSPIRES - Solicitations Summary) (HPOSS). The information session may provide you additional details; it is on our Youtube site at January 2023 OSSI Townhall on ROSES F.15 High Priority Open-Source Science (HPOSS) - YouTube. If you have additional questions, I have cc’ed the program scientist for this solicitation, Rachel Paseka.

2 Likes

Transform to OPen Science (TOPS) Training will solicit proposals for the development
of Open Science learning curriculum to advance open science literacy, and capacity
building through one-day meetings, workshops, and summer schools. See program
element F.14. This is probably the more appropriate venue for me to help organize a proposal.

NSPIRES - Solicitations Summary (nasaprs.com)

Optional notices of intent to propose were requested by November 10, 2022, and proposals were due December 8, 2022. I expect that this will have similar dates in 2023.

1 Like

FWIW I’ve sent them a message asking for confirmation on whether the meeting joining instructions and question links have been sent. I’ll report back if I hear anything!

1 Like

OK I just heard back: Details for joining the meeting are definitely coming, either later today or tomorrow!

2 Likes

Please feel free to forward this invitation to anyone interested in getting involved with the NASA Transform to Open Science Community!

When: Thursday, February 9, 2023 1-2PM Eastern Time (US & Canada).

Slides: TBD

Q&A Tool: TBD

Dear Friends of Open Science,

Happy Year of Open Science! If you haven’t already heard, the White House, along with 12 federal agencies, a coalition of more than 85 universities, and other organizations declared 2023 to be the Year of Open Science.

Come to NASA TOPS’s monthly forum to learn more! As co-chairs within the White House Office of Science and Technology Policy Subcommittee on the Year of Open Science, TOPS is honored to share the stage with NOAA, discussing year of open science activities and then providing an open forum for community feedback and discussion.

All TOPS community meetings (e.g. panels, forums, and workshops) are free and open to all to attend.

For additional questions, Please contact Cynthia Hall, cynthia.r.hall@nasa.gov

WEBEX Information

Join by meeting number

Meeting number (access code): 2761 926 0954

Meeting password: gFtxZAk@657

Join by phone
Use VoIP only

Join from a video system or application
Dial 27619260954@nasaenterprise.webex.com
You can also dial 207.182.190.20 and enter your meeting number.

[image] Cynthia Hall

Transform to Open Science (TOPS) Community Coordinator

cynthia.r.hall@nasa.gov

1 Like

So I’m not sure which one of us asked this but for those who couldn’t make it this is the answer they gave:

Is there any interest in open source hardware (OSH) and/or developing a training program that prepares people to develop OSH?

“Open source hardware is an important aspect of open science, and our “Open Source Software” module will be discussing it in part. Creating a training program specifically focused on OSH is not yet in our plan, but could be an area for future expansion.”

I asked specifically if we should apply for funding this round and didn’t receive an answer. I’ll let the others who were there weigh in on what this means for moving forward.

1 Like

@VertiCulture thanks for sharing this!

For those who couldn’t make it, you can access the slides from today on Zenodo.

I noticed that they have an open funding call for “Workshops, Symposia, and Conferences” that closes on May 12, and when asked if the events must be in-person or in the US this was their answer:

In-person, virtual, or hybrid events are all welcome. Proposals are encourage to choose a US location. See the details of the solicitation for considerations for international events: https://tinyurl.com/4e4x56vx

Reading through the call, it does seem quite possible for non-US events to apply.

1 Like

I think that the answer for this call is not to apply, although I am going to follow up with the administrators.
There is a similar NSF call that I am looking at that may be more fruitful.
Being ahead of our time with regard to OSH may be a benefit as we will have a proven track record when the RFP’s do come out.
I’ll do some more personal communication,
Jim Brenner

2 Likes

There is an NSF call for Innovations in Graduate Education that I am going to submit a response to, with GOSH being one of the primary dissemination vehicles for my upcoming maker education e-textbook. I know about Joshua Pearce’s book on open source hardware. Is there a web site that collates all of the open source hardware projects? I have done a journal article search on open source hardware. There are 347 articles as bundled in this link (https://fit.instructure.com/files/46900631/download?download_frd=1). The link is just under 1 gigabyte, so be patient.

The NSF request for proposals is due March 27th, 2023. If wishing to participate, please e-mail me ASAP.

1 Like

Hi @jbrennerFIT!

Is there a web site that collates all of the open source hardware projects?

Yes! We have an OScH projects page here. In the coming months, we are looking to build on this project directory more to enhance searchability. Stay tuned for more on the forum!

1 Like

Thanks, Brianna. The OScH project page is a decent starting point. I’ll start putting together something quite a bit more substantial this summer!

1 Like

Hello sir,

@Prof. Jim Brenner

I’d like to know more about this event.

Kindly assist.

Thanks

1 Like

Hi @jbrennerFIT!

Sounds like an exciting call, does this NSF call have any limitations on where people and their organisations are based?

And thanks for sharing the 347 articles you found! In case this helps, there is the Zotero group library on open source hardware maintained by GOSH people, and it would be useful to consolidate the references. This shared library is currently used for the literature review that @unixjazz is leading in this thread.

Thanks @hpy and @unixjazz. The 347 articles are from my own Zotero group library, which has many things nanotech, other than just open source hardware. I’ll see what I can do to consolidate this, but that is likely a summer project.

1 Like

Dear @Ebuka, @HPy, @briannaljohns, et al.
There is no “event” yet associated with the NSF call for Innovations in Graduate Education. If the proposal is successful, I do plan to participate in several GOSH events both virtually and in person, including hosting at least one. How does a visit to east central Florida right after New Year’s sound?
I have hosted NanoFlorida once, so I know how big a job hosting a conference really is!

2 Likes

Great :+1:

I would happily attend such a thing.
I have been to the cape several times for rocket chasing. Actual serious business would be a great reason to go again. :slight_smile:

1 Like