Low-Cost, Open-Source XYZ Nanopositioner for High-Precision Analytical Applications

Dear all
I am sharing 12 types of nanopositioners, from thumb-size actuator to 18 axes nano-probing station, CAD and Arduino-based controller designs are now published in Hardware X and make it open source for everyone.
Working in action videos: https://www.youtube.com/c/EdwinHwuHacks4Science/videos

Article: Low-Cost, Open-Source XYZ Nanopositioner for High-Precision Analytical Applications
File repository link: OSF
DOI: Low-Cost, Open-Source XYZ Nanopositioner for High-Precision Analytical Applications - ScienceDirect
Remember to cite this article :wink:

You might also like:

1. Hacking CD/DVD/Blu-ray for Biosensing
    https://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/acssensors.8b00340

2. Micro and nanoscale 3D printing using optical pickup unit from a gaming console
    Micro and nanoscale 3D printing using optical pickup unit from a gaming console | Communications Physics

3. Using DVD optics for Nano-, Micro-, Milli-Newton to several Newtons force measurements:
    Redirecting

6 Likes

Hi Edwin,
this sound really interesting! Unfortunately the link does not work for me. Can you please check?
Thanks,
Andreas

oops…you can use file repository link first: OSF
DOI link will be ready soon

2 Likes

Hackaday invited me for a Hack Chat on 15th June.
You are all welcome to join and have some fun. :upside_down_face:

5 Likes

Edwin, this work is amazing!
It can potentially help a lot in our project. Our application requires faster but less accurate motions and more z load (100g+). Could you make suggestions on how to modify your original designs?

I think it is not hard, other group duplicate the same z design and achieved 225g vertical lift. Just put stronger or more magnets :slight_smile:

Great! We will try!
Do you have suggestions how to make it move faster? We hope to reach 10mm/s if possible. The resolution can be 1-10µm.

use longer piezo stack possible, then you can get it run faster.