LOOKING FOR PARTNERS: Building/supporting Open Labs in Africa, Asia and Latin America

Hello!
I’m Heloísa Oss Boll, a biotechnology student at UFRGS, Brazil. I work with open and citizen science/technologies at CTA (Centro de Tecnologia Acadêmica - this year we hosted TECNOx 4.0!).
Me and Prof. Tiago Antônio de Oliveira Mendes are studying the possibility of receiving funding from an international edict for the construction of open laboratories around the world.
We are looking for groups from Asia/Africa who could also be interested in receiving these fundings for the construction/mantaining of an Open Lab - with its main focus on Biology.
If you have interest in joining our group (or know someone who does), please reach me @ oss.boll@ufrgs.br. I can send you additional info.
:heart::heart::heart:

6 Likes

Hi @helossboll, as discussed before:

I will also share this with the AfricaOSH community

1 Like

Hello @helossboll , just seeing. Is this still open? I will like to know more. Cheers

Hello, dear open-biotech fellows.
I’m sorry for not giving more news about the project. Sadly, the current situation in Brazil, related to investments in science, destabilized our project task force and we had to abandon it.
We hope that this is temporary, and that soon we will be able to work again on our ideas of building open biolabs around the world.
We really appreciate the interest of everyone who contacted us. The start of the network is already formed!
Best regards for all,
Heloísa Oss Boll

hoied mitenand,

i have been looking into other organisations once again, that support translocal collaboration, residencies and more and stumbled over Arts Collaboratory, who supported HackteriaLab 2014. It’s support structure and governance model is really unique! and also has the focus on Africa, Asia, Latam.

reading their ethical guidelines and common language is a joy to read:
http://www.artscollaboratory.org/about/ethical-principles/

I think we could learn alot from them.

m

1 Like

I like that, clearly a lot of experience went into it. These two speak to me especially:

We are dedicated to critical hospitality (distinguished from the service providing hospitality in tourism) and a critical notion of friendship and conviviality . Our relations are not social capital, that should be measured and commodified.

We take conversation as the best means for learning and relating to each other. This allows us to study with a focus on process rather than on production. The conversation also makes it possible to stay vulnerable and honest.