Guess I should add, for this topic, just in case, I think I will mainly be discussing Hackuarium’s latest water quality work, which also leaned upon the DIT incubators designed by Harald T in 2022 (now with a new 3D-printed twist). See also here- DIT incubator for Bacté-Rivières
My open science adventures began in Switzerland more than 10 years ago, and I am so happy to be part of this community (though as a biologist I am more of a user than a maker, at least to date…)!
One of the recent fun projects Hackuarium has pursued is Mudtronics (microbial fuel cells to ‘make electricity’ from ‘swamp bugs’), but my big pushes are usually around public health and avoidable risks… We also could do micronuclei tests, perhaps too, if there is interest, and room in the program.
If peeps want to try to do water quality things, as done in Panama, then we should get R-Cards delivered directly to Kathmandu, if there is some budget for that… (sadly not from Hackuarium, but we used a lot this season and I will present results, if all goes well with my bookings for this trip!) Also, if there is a pressure cooker or other microbio tools we can use there, we could do other things around microbes and water quality. (@gaudi I could bring the 16S primers in a pcr master mix for bacterial species IDs using your pocket pcr rig, if we could manage to grow colonies on plates…)
Here is what I put in my usual ‘signature’ in case you would like to explore (while looking forward to learning more from all the participants!) :
--
Rachel Aronoff, PhD
Directrice Scientifique
AGiR! Action pour l’intégrité Génomique via la Recherche!
www.genomicintegrity.org
@genomicintegrity @agirgenomes.bsky.social
Responsable de laboratoire
Association Hackuarium
Route de Crochy 20, 1024 Ecublens CH
wiki.hackuarium.ch www.hackuarium.ch
#DIYbio #citizenscience #DoItTogether
@hackuarium
&
Fondatrice