GOSH Welcome Calls, Starting August 15th at 10:00 UTC!

Hi everybody!

I’m excited to announce that this month I’ll be hosting the first GOSH Welcome Call! It will take place on August 15 at 10:00 UTC.

I am piloting this series of welcome calls to take the place of the open hours - it’ll be a bit more structured and feature an onboarding presentation for new members of the GOSH Community. After the presentation, there will be time for questions and discussion, so that way those who are new to GOSH have the opportunity to find out more about us!

The Welcome Calls will take place once a month, and you can see a schedule for upcoming calls here.

Register to join the August call here.

Thanks!
-Bri :v:

2 Likes

Can you please use and propose a free software alternative? This is
ridiculous having to ask in this context!

Ey, people are trying to do their best.

I agree w/ the point that open source solutions are always nicer, more in this context, but maybe you need to breath a few times, do some yoga or something and double check how you are treating other humans before writing the first thing that comes to your mind.

3 Likes

Hi @how - welcome to the forum!

There has been a previous discussion on this topic:

That led to the suggestion to set up and trial a free software alternative to ensure that it can offer a solution that works reliably. We have people from around the world joining for sometimes reasonably large calls (20+) and Zoom provides a good experience for participants, including those joining from phones in places with limited bandwidth.

There has been a group meeting periodically to look into this and other free software tools for the GOSH Community:

To date, we don’t have a tried and tested free software alternative to Zoom that we’re confident will work as seamlessly. Some GOSH community calls therefore use Zoom, particularly the public-facing ones. Providing opportunities for people to talk to each about open science hardware feels more important than the platform that communication happens on.

The group looking at new apps for GOSH would I’m sure welcome new members willing to help set up and test other options.

Jenny

6 Likes

Welp, dammit. I missed the call today because I couldn’t translate time zones correctly. Bummer, as I was looking forward to it! I’m totally clueless about how this whole GOSH thing is supposed to go and would have liked to meet ppl.

:slightly_frowning_face:

Cere

1 Like

I was hopping to join as well. But turned out to be 5am my time and had a very busy day at work ahead of me. I learned that it Is impossible to please everyone. Usually, the best alternative is to pick one platform that works for most and let others adapt to it. In my experience Zoom in the most reliable and best free alternative. The free option gives you about 40 minutes for 100 participants.

1 Like

Hi @dgrosen and @ceremona,

I am sorry that you weren’t able to make it to this month’s welcome call, but there will definitely be another one next month that you can join :slight_smile:. I’ll share the date/time for the next one in the coming weeks!

You can also see a copy of the presentation here, and I will share a recording of the presentation soon.

Thanks,
Bri

1 Like

Hi again all!

I wanted to share that the recording for the August welcome call is now available. You can check it out here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLmiNrnssuo_QxX23EWLJMnIeVhCwTQJpH.

The next welcome call is happening on September 15 at 21:00 UTC, be sure to register in advance if you’re interested in joining!

Thanks again,
Bri

1 Like