GOSH 2023 Election Candidate Statement: Karl Kaddu

This thread is for the candidate statement of the 2023 GOSH Community Council Election candidate Karl Kaddu (@Karl). Karl, you can reply to this post with your candidate statement. I have included the candidate statement template below for your reference:

2023 GOSH Community Council Election Candidate Statement Template

1. Candidate Name:

2. Please provide a short biography, and describe some of your participation and contributions in the GOSH community (approximately 3-5 sentences):

3. Please provide a position statement (approximately 3-5 sentences) indicating why you are running for Community Council, your priorities for the community, and what you hope to achieve:

4. Tell us how your experience, skills, and/or qualifications allow for effectively serving and governing communities (approximately 2-3 sentences):

5. Please detail which of the eight existing Community Council governance domain(s) you are interested in taking on (this does not have to be a firm commitment), plus what you would like to do within that domain(s). (approximately 2-3 sentences)

6. Please confirm that you are able and willing to participate in regularly scheduled council meetings at least twice a month.

2 Likes

1. Candidate Name: Karl Kaddu

2. Please provide a short biography, and describe some of your participation and contributions in the GOSH community (approximately 3-5 sentences):

I am a science communications practitioner working with the Environment for Development (EfD) program as a Communications Officer. EfD works at the intersection of research and practice with scientists and economists in 14 countries of the Global South to solve critical sustainability challenges in their respective societies. Before joining EfD, I championed science, technology, and innovation stakeholder engagement programs in Uganda. In 2019, AfricaOSH introduced me to the world of OSH.
For the last eight years, I designed and implemented engagement programs that targeted researchers, policymakers, and innovators to foster collaboration and a better appreciation of science and technology in transforming societies. During the Covid-19 pandemic, I was part of the health communication team– the task was to help translate scientific jargon into simple language that conveyed caution and provided hope to the citizens of Uganda.

Most recently, in 2022, I had the opportunity to be part of the GOSH 2022 Gathering organizing team. I was participated in reviewing applications and drafting the communications materials and the Code of Conduct.

3. Please provide a position statement (approximately 3-5 sentences) indicating why you are running for Community Council, your priorities for the community, and what you hope to achieve:

I am an avid believer in the power of science communication in bridging the divide between science and society. Science Communication facilitates powerful conversations between science and society. In my 12 years of working in science and technology industry, I believe open science hardware (OSH) can gain further traction if science communication is embraced as a strategic tool.

While GOSH is a vibrant community of budding scientists, engineers and innovators, I have observed a shortage of communications professionals within the community yet they are essential in building relationships.While science and technology are vital in availing solutions to many social challenges of our time, it is equally important for the affected communities to appreciate scientific interventions. Strategic communication is thus crucial in building effective social and financial partnerships while scaling OSH endeavors.

I, therefore, hope to attract more science communication professionals to open science hardware to facilitate cooperation between scientists, technologists, innovators, and social actors for sustainable partnerships. I also plan on strengthening existing communication efforts within, for example, through communication workshops community members.

4. Tell us how your experience, skills, and/or qualifications allow for effectively serving and governing communities (approximately 2-3 sentences):

I hold a Master of Science in Communication and over ten years of experience. During this time, I have grown and honed my skill set in understanding the needs of different stakeholders – private, government, and non-profit organizations from across the globe. With this background, I am in a better position to lead, learn and contribute to the effective governing of the GOSH community.

5. Please detail which of the eight existing Community Council governance domain(s) you are interested in taking on (this does not have to be a firm commitment), plus what you would like to do within that domain(s). (approximately 2-3 sentences)

While I am flexible to work on any domains once called upon, my experience and knowledge align best with

Communications : Support the community coordinator, especially with external communications, for example, starting an annual magazine highlighting the major events of the year.

Gatherings/Events : Support GOSH to organize and efficiently manage events, for example, develop an annual events plan.

6. Please confirm that you are able and willing to participate in regularly scheduled council meetings at least twice a month.

Yes. I confirm my willingness to participate in the council meetings as scheduled.

3 Likes