Candidate Statement: Valerian Sanga

This thread is for the candidate statement of 2021 GOSH Community Council Election candidate Valerian Sanga (@valerian). Valerian, you can reply to this post with your candidate statement. I have included the candidate statement template below for your reference:

2021 GOSH Community Council Election Candidate Statement Template

Candidate Name:

Please provide a short biography, and describe some of your participation and contributions in the GOSH community (3-5 sentences):

Please provide a position statement (5-7 sentences), indicating why you are running for Community Council, your priorities for the community, and what you hope to achieve:

Candidate statements do not have to be in English. For more information on the Candidate Statement’s category, please read the about post pinned to this category.

Candidate Name: Valerian Linus Sanga

Short Biography
I am the Co-Founder and CEO of Bongo Tech & Research Labs, formerly STICLab, the first Makerspace & RnD Lab in Tanzania. As an African Engineer & Researcher, I have been participating and offering my contribution to the GOSH Community and to the Africa Open Science & Hardware Community - AfricaOSH (Steering Committee Member). I am also a developer of sangaboard, an Open Source Motor board controller for the OpenFlexure Microscope.

Position statement
In April 2019, I hosted the Second Africa OSH Summit, in Dar es Salaam – Tanzania, the event that left a huge impact to the Tanzanian Innovation Ecosystem, to myself and Africa as whole. I strongly believe that, making Open Science & Hardware ubiquitous globally, particularly Africa, will provide a strong and meaningful gateway towards realizing the Fourth Industrial Revolution, hence positive impact to the community development. I therefore chose to run for the GOSH Community Council so that I can fully represent Africa within this Global Community, promote GOSH activities, practices and philosophy across the continent as well as help my African Community harness the potential contributions within this family so as to realize sustainable and impactful development by providing OSH based tangible solutions, products and services, while realizing 4IR in Africa.

6 Likes