Candidate Statement: Julian Stirling

This thread is for the candidate statement of 2021 GOSH Community Council Election candidate Julian Stirling (@julianstirling). Julian, you can reply to this post with your candidate statement. I have included the candidate statement template below for your reference:

2021 GOSH Community Council Election Candidate Statement Template

Candidate Name:

Please provide a short biography, and describe some of your participation and contributions in the GOSH community (3-5 sentences):

Please provide a position statement (5-7 sentences), indicating why you are running for Community Council, your priorities for the community, and what you hope to achieve:

Candidate statements do not have to be in English. For more information on the Candidate Statement’s category, please read the about post pinned to this category.

1 Like

Candidate Name: Julian Stirling

Please provide a short biography, and describe some of your participation and contributions in the GOSH community (3-5 sentences):

I am a physicist by training, but my research has focused on precision instrumentation and metrology. Since 2018 I have worked on the OpenFlexure Microscope, a project aiming to make lab-grade microscopy to available everywhere. I also develop software for open hardware such as GitBuilding and SCA2D. I attended GOSH Shenzhen 2018, AfricaOSH 2019, and organised a GOSH-related event Open Hardware from Academia 2020. I am an active forum member, have attended numerous community calls, and put a lot of work into maintaining the GOSH GitLab roadmap.

Please provide a position statement (5-7 sentences), indicating why you are running for Community Council, your priorities for the community, and what you hope to achieve:

The key focus of my priorities lies in the tagline of the GOSH roadmap “Making Open Science Hardware ubiquitous by 2025”. I see ubiquity as academics across the world regularly using, adapting, and creating OScH; and for citizen scientists to have access to the exact same equipment. We need people to buy OScH, sell OScH, calibrate OScH, and above all else: trust OScH. GOSH has been a call to action, it has created a vision of a future where scientific equipment is understandable and adaptable, it is now time to make the vision a reality. With the Sloan Foundation grant we are able put money into collaborative development programs. On the council I would look for further funding for collaborative development with a focus on helping GOSHers move their projects beyond a prototype, to a calibrated instrument that can be manufactured internationally, and ultimately used by anyone for science.

7 Likes