Beta release of GitBuilding v0.13

So we moved away from electron.js to using the PyQt based GUI.

gitbuilding-gui

The GUI is just a window showing the web app. The plan is to have it packaged up so that it can be launched from an icon/start menu/etc. We moved away from electron just because we then needed to play around with starting the python server from electron. Having a JavaScript program launching a python server that serves a separate JavaScript app was quite confusing.

Well the GUI should just show the web app but doesnā€™t for @naikymen, have you tried starting it @jmwright? It would be good to know it works on someone elseā€™s machine. Did you have similar problems with people getting blank windows when you did the CadQuery editor in QT?

@naikymen, I see it says it is required by GitCola. I assume that all works fine? My guess is the problem is with the webview engine. Could you also run:

which qmake

At this point I doubt youā€™d go back to Electron, but if you ever do I have an Electron GUI that I created for CadQuery that you could look at to see how to make Python calls. I agree that it does feel really weird to call Python from JS though.

I have not seen the blank screen that @naikymen is getting. Weā€™ve had weird issues with PyQt in CQ-editor, but many of them were on MacOS. I did have one issue where the Wayland display driver on Ubuntu caused problems, but I doubt Arch uses Wayland.

After a working day with GitBuilding v0.13, here is a Windows user report: No technical issues with installation and usage.

My first contribution for this release: Tutorial for Creating a Desktop Shortcut in Windows

Few comments from a user perspective:

File explorer:

• While you are searching for a file, ā€˜ā€¦ā€™ as the back option is not user-friendly.
  • gitbuilding-gui or gitbuilding webapp must be executed in the disk or folder that contains the project directory. Otherwise, the explorer canā€™t inspect outside the directory where the command was executed.
3 Likes

Yep! it works fine.

I noticed that the GB process cannot be interrupted with Ctrl+C when launched with gitbuilding-gui.

Sure:

$ which qmake
/usr/bin/qmake

I have X11 setup. Will try on Wayland later.

2 Likes

I found this message in journalctl:

Jul 11 16:17:04 ifiarcher systemd-coredump[91289]: [šŸ”•] Process 91278 (QtWebEngineProc) of user 1000 dumped core.

Stack trace of thread 1:
                                                   #0  0x00007f4aa0320e2d n/a (libc.so.6 + 0x10ae2d)
                                                   ELF object binary architecture: AMD x86-64

Itā€™s not very useful to me though. I wouldnā€™t use more time debugging this; from what I read it may just be a version incompatibility issue in the Arch repos.

Itā€™s not the first time Iā€™ve faced errors with Qt webview. RStudio also used Qt in the past, but ended up moving to Electron rather recently.

Hmm :upside_down_face:. Maybe we just assume that Arch linux users can launch the web app from the terminal :slightly_smiling_face:

Apparently it is working on Windows. Anyone tried it on MacOS?

1 Like

If anyone is following along there have been some editor improvements (from LibreHubā€™s Martin) and some improvements to the styling for image galleries from William Wadsworth at the University of Bath.

To install run:

pip install gitbuilding[gui]==0.13.0b3

Hopefully soon Iā€™ll stop the scope creep and push out v0.13

4 Likes