Announcement of 2023 GOSH Community Council Election Results!

Hello, GOSH Community Members!

Thank you to our outstanding candidates for running in this year’s GOSH Community Council Election! Each candidate brought unique ideas to the table and did an exceptional job engaging with the community by sharing their candidate statements and participating in community meetings. I sincerely appreciate all the candidates taking the time to run in our election!

The independent observer Freda (@Yamorti_1) and I have tabulated the votes, and we are excited to announce the results for the 2023 GOSH Community Council Election!

We had 52 registered voters, and 37 votes were cast between September 1 and September 12, with the exception of a few days when the voting platform was down (I will discuss this further below). Aside from this issue, the Star.vote platform performed well and made it very straightforward to identify the four winning candidates.

As noted in the 2023 GOSH Governance Plan for Seating the 2nd GOSH Community Council, Community Council seats will be awarded by the Election Secretary as follows in order to make the seated 2023-2024 community council as equitable and representative as possible:

• A minimum of 1 seat to a candidate who fulfills the diversity criteria as enumerated above under “Nomination of Candidates”. If there is only one such candidate receiving votes, they will be seated.
  • Of the final 7 member Community Council, at least one seat goes to a member of ReGOSH, if there is not already a member of ReGOSH on the Council.
  • Of the final 7 member Community Council, at least one seat goes to a member of AfricaOSH, if there is not already a member of AfricaOSH on the Council.
  • If any open seats remain, they will be awarded to the remaining unseated candidates in order of who has received the most preferred votes.
  • Candidates with zero votes won’t be seated.

Based on the results of the 2023 GOSH Community Council Election, the above criteria were met. I will now introduce the four candidates who were elected to the GOSH Community Council!

Newly elected council members to the GOSH Community Council:

You can view the full results of the election here.

A reminder that the four selected candidates will each serve 2-year terms. You can see the full list of seated council members, and when their terms expire, below.

2023-2024 GOSH Community Council Members:

• Harold Tay @harold (term expires in 2024)
  • Valerian Linus Sanga @valerian (term expires in 2024)
  • Frank Landon Bentum (@Frank_AfricaOSH) (term expires in 2024)
  • Saad Chinoy (@saadcaffeine) (term expires in 2025)
  • Karl Kaddu (@Karl) (term expires in 2025)
  • Lara Jatar (@Laraja) (term expires in 2025)
  • Ana De Lucia (@anaj238) (term expires in 2025)

We want to thank all the candidates who ran, as we know this was a substantial undertaking. We have been deeply gratified by the community response and participation in this election.

Congratulations to the newly elected Community Council! We look forward to what you will achieve going forward.

A quick note regarding Star.vote platform issues this election

Unfortunately, we had a few issues with the Star.vote voting platform this election. However, the developers from Star.vote were very quick to respond, and we were able to resolve all of these issues and carry out a fair election. I will share more details on what happened on the independent observer thread.

Thank you,
Bri Johns
Election Secretary for the 2023 GOSH Community Council Election

12 Likes

Congrats! What a great crew elected to serve!

Thanks for volunteering for these positions and also thanks everyone who helped facilitate the whole election!

3 Likes

This is most excellent news! Thank you for the votes of confidence, I look forward to working with these passionate and multitalented people :slight_smile: :grinning: :grinning: :sparkling_heart:

6 Likes

Hello Community, thank you for the trust in potentials. I look forward to working with you all! :hugs:

4 Likes

Congratulations to everyone on a successful 2023 Community Council election!
:tada: :hearts:

There’s plenty of work to be done, and I’m sure the incoming members will be great to work with the wider GOSH community to take our work together to the next level.

While technical issues are frustrating, I’m reassured by how quickly the star.vote platform responded. A reminder that it’s not just about the technology, but also the societal structures around it.

Many thanks to @briannaljohns and @Yamorti_1 for overseeing this process. :bowing_woman:

As an outgoing Community Council member, I’ll do what I can to facilitate a smooth transition of power. :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Congratulations to the newly elected council members. We trust you will make us proud.

Congrats again!

3 Likes

Congrats to the newly elected council members, specially to out reGOSH representative @Laraja!
Thanks to @briannaljohns and @Yamorti_1 for the amazing job you’ve done!!!

2 Likes

congrats on being done with excellent service pen!

1 Like

It was a great pleasure and honor to have you in the Council. Amazing job.

Cheers,
Adrian

1 Like