Summer pre-GOSH binge watching (state of electronics manufacturing in China)

For those looking to do some pre-GOSH2018 “research”, this Freetronics blog post links to a series of short documentary videos (18 chapters) shot by Australian film-maker Karl von Moller as part of a HardworX Shenzhen Innovation Tour.

The films cover visits to a several factories, the Huaqiangbei markets, the Shenzhen Maker Faire, SEEED studios, PCB and plastics fabrication factories, xFactory, HAX, etc.

I’ve only watched the first three so far, but I’m eager to get through the rest over the summer!

5 Likes

or winter… :world_map::point_down::wink::snowman:

You’re so right. My bad :wink:

Thanks for the link. Just starting on these now. Glad to see Bunnie pop up in the first episode. Bunnie writes really well on how “intellectual property” works in the low-cost “knock off” goods ecosystem (Shanzhai). He even comes up with the term Gongkai for a new, emerging Shanzhai that is much more innovative than what the original term implies.

If you are interested in more light reading on this subject I recently came across a good article in Logic magazine. They use the term “New Shanzhai” for the same phenomenon.

Semi-related, in the same magazine they also have a really well written article on the supply chains that sustain (embody?) global capitalism and how it is inherently hard to determine the origin of materials. For a different perspective on that check out episode 4 of the Containers podcast, also linked in the article, where they discuss how much detail growers, suppliers and shippers provide in the coffee trade.

1 Like