Hi all, sharing the following postdoc opportunity below:
Apply here: Oracle Taleo
Postdoc position in Computational Neuroscience Applied to Upper Limb Control Performance - (22000067)
Project: RAISE (Robotics and AI for Socio-economic Empowerment)
Commitment & contract: up to 3-years collaboration contract
Location: Center for Convergent Technologies, Via Morego 30 - Genoa
WHO WE ARE
At IIT we work enthusiastically to develop Human-centered Science and Technology for tackling some of the most pressing challenges in our time, transferring each solution to applications for the benefit of our society. Our Genoa headquarter is strictly inter-connected with our 11 centers around Italy and two outer-stations based in the US, expressing together a truly interdisciplinary experience.
Rehab Technologies, a multicultural and multi-disciplinary group that includes experts in engineering, robotics and medicine, is seeking to appoint a Computational Neuroscientist that will have a key role in developing computational models of the neuromotor systems underlying the control of upper limbs in people without impairments, or with impairments due to amputation (prosthetic users), or to neurological conditions (as in Multiple Sclerosis patients).
These models, shaped as Digital Twins according to the data collected during experimental campaigns with the participation of partners like INAIL and AISM, should enable a prediction of the effectiveness of the upper limb control in grasping tasks, after the execution of training protocols. Through these models, a physician could understand how to adjust the exercises for improving the upper limb control.
You will contribute to activities funded within RAISE project (Robotics and AI for Socio-economic Empowerment), a large-scale project funded by the National Recovery and Resilience Plan (NRRP), from the European Union - NextGenerationEU.
Within the team, your main responsibilities will be:
- The development of state-of-the-art computational models for assessing, simulating, and predicting (according to physiological, oculomotor, and kinematic data) the upper limbs control features (and their neural antecedents) in people with impairments due to amputation and to neurological conditions;
- The development of Digital Twins prototypes emulating the upper limbs control processes according to the data collected and analyzed at the first point;
- To strengthen the collaboration with fellow scientists, engineers, physicians in order to understand the requirements and formalize the practical cases that will be considered for validating the models described above;
- To exploit the models developed during the project to improve the analysis of the human-machine system performance in different projects of the Research Line, encompassing collaborations with partners like INAIL and AISM.
WHAT WOULD MAKE YOU SHINE
- A PhD in Computational Neuroscience, or in fields like Machine Learning, Artificial Intelligence, Data science, Simulation.
- Documented experience, with publications in international peer-reviewed journals, on biosignal analysis and biological systems simulation.
- The ability to properly report, organize and present data.
- Good communication skills and great teamwork mindset.
- Fulfill deadlines, being goal-oriented and accountable.
- Good command in spoken and written English.
- Experience in using Matlab and its main packages for signal analysis and simulation.
- Knowledge of topics related to human-machine interaction and neuroscience (and biomarkers).
- Experience in analyzing electroencephalographic (EEG) signals, peripheral biosignals, gaze movements, body (especially upper limbs) kinematics.
- Knowledge of Python main ML frameworks such as pytorch, tensorflow and scikit-learn.
- Experience in systems integration to create human-in-the-loop solutions (as in reinforcement learning applied to the training of Brain-Computer Interface).
- Knowledge of Digital Twin, emulating especially biological systems (possibly modeling digital humans).
- Knowledge of bionic prosthetics, wearable robotics, rehabilitation robotics, virtual and mixed reality, Digital Health, precision medicine, and other topics characterizing the activities of Rehab Technologies.
- High motivation to learn.
- Great attitude towards innovation and creativity.
- Willing to create tangible value out of theoretical tools.
- Ability to work in a challenging and international environment.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in a highly interdisciplinary environment.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
- Competitive salary package for international standards
- Private health care coverage
- Wide range of staff discounts
- Candidates from abroad or Italian citizens who permanently work abroad and meet specific requirements, may be entitled to a deduction from taxable income of up to 90% from 6 to 13 years.
WHAT’S IN FOR YOU?
An equal, inclusive and multicultural environment ready to welcome you with open arms. Discrimination is a big NO for us!
We like contamination and encourage you to mingle and discover what other people are up to in our labs!
If paperwork is not your piece of cake, we got you! There’s a specialized team working to help you with that, especially during your relocation!
If you are a startupper or a business-minded person, you will find some exceptionally gifted professionals ready to nurture and guide your attitude and aspirations.
If you want your work to have a real impact, in IIT you will find an innovative and stimulating culture that drives our mission to contribute to the improvement and well-being of society!
We stick to our values! Integrity, courage, societal responsibility and inclusivity are the values we believe in! They define us and our actions in our everyday life. They guide us to accomplish IIT mission!
If you feel this tickles your appetite for change, do not hesitate and apply!
Please submit your application using the online form and including a detailed CV, university transcripts, cover letter (outlining motivation, experience and qualifications) and names and contacts of 2 referees.
Application’s deadline: 07/08/2022.
We inform you that the information you provide will be used solely for the purposes of evaluating and selecting professional profiles in order to meet the requirements of Istituto Italiano di Tecnologia.
Your data will be processed by Istituto Italiano di Tecnologia, based in Genoa, Via Morego 30, acting as Data Controller, in compliance with the rules on protection of personal data, including those related to data security.
Please also note that, pursuant to articles 15 et. seq. of European Regulation no. 679/2016 (General Data Protection Regulation), you may exercise your rights at any time by contacting the Data Protection Officer (phone Tel: +39 010 28961 - email: firstname.lastname@example.org - kindly note that this e-mail address is exclusively reserved for handling data protection issues. Please, do not use this e-mail address to send any document and/or request of information about this opening).