OScH in and for low socio-economical status communities

Hi there!

I am collecting info about initiatives regarding open hardware and low socio-economical status communities. We have a project in Austin called Whole Communities Whole Health, and a “small” component of it is getting communities involved with open science and open hardware. So far it is a small component, but I would like to enlarge it.

Knowing other initiatives and their experiences will provide me other insights that I can use to “convince” the bigger team.

Thanks,

JP.

PS: this item came out in GOSH 2018 as part of the LEARN: QUALITY MONITORING AND EVALUATION section. All responses will be gathered and linked to the section. Thanks!

1 Like

Hi Juan Pedro,

I’d like to know more about your component of WCWH, do you have a link or something? Also, there’s mention of grand challenges but I see only general statements. Is there a specific description of the grand challenges?

I graduated from UT a long time ago, which is partly why I’m curious.

Thanks,
-harold

1 Like

Hi Harold,

The project is relatively new (2years). At the time we are working out the tech challenges, the Community Engagement Team has been meeting with communities, working with them, establishing strong ties with them, to now gage their interests. It is a long process of trust building. You can find more info and updates here (https://bridgingbarriers.utexas.edu/whole-communities-whole-health/). If there is interest, I can tell the Steer Committee to have an info outreach to the global community to inform about the project. If you have any specific question, don’t doubt asking me.

Cheers,
JP.

1 Like

@Conector_Ciencia Take a look at this thread, if you haven’t yet!
@juanpedro.maestre take a look at http://www.conecien.com/

3 Likes

It’d be great to have that info outreach! We are interested in hearing more about it :wink:

1 Like

Hi there!

I’m from Brazil and I’m doing a master’s degree in physics education. My project aims at the formation of teachers of prisional education in the perspective of open knowledge. One of the implications of this is the development of lessons and projects based on Arduino with the philosophy behind it.

We can talk more about it if you like.

Cheers,
Sandro

1 Like

Sandro, lets talk! When would it be convenient to do a zoom meeting?

Thanks,

JP.

I’m free in the next weeks to talk about it. I only have a problem with my speaking skills, given that english is not my native language. It would be more easy for me if we communicate via text.

1 Like

No worries. If spanish is good, we could also go that way. Let me know what other languages could work.
Abrazos,

JP.

Check this out: https://bridgingbarriers.utexas.edu/whole-communities-whole-health/

More info will be coming out, and we could have a zoom call to talk about the project if you would like.

Let me know,

JP.

@Bronwen Maybe it could be good to make a collab webinar/ zoom call? @Harold, @paz, and @sandrogiongo are interested.

JP.

1 Like

Yes! I’d love for us to have a chance to clarify goals and to-do’s.

1 Like

Hi, thank you for tagging our project @amchagas. @juanpedro.maestre Conector Ciência or Connecting Science is a social micro-business that has as its mission to design creative workshops (with low-cost, open and sustainable materiais and projects) that show that science and technology can be done by anyone and anywhere. Our vision is to increase the number of Brazilian students between the age of 8 to 18 that make and communicate science and technology in their local communities. In order to ensure that, our workshops are facilitated in open spaces to the general public like museums or schools. We also invite parents and teachers of these students to take part of such activities. Moreover, we do science communication projects with active learning methodologies that has included environmental issues, citizen science and sciart so far. We have done more than 130 workshops in 7 schools, worked with 36 organizations, 9 universities and have reached out about 3.700 participants in 4 of the 5 regions of Brazil, including the Amazon region (our most-recent focus for social change and justice fostered by open science and technology employed in creative contexts). I would love to share more info and learn more about your project. Thanks, F.