Open Source Microfactory STEAM Camps

Friends,

Marcin here from Open Source Ecology. We are developing a 9 day immersion Open Source Microfactory STEAM Camp, and we are looking for instructors to co-create this program. The goal is to equip people with skills for open source product development. The vision is a historic transfer of wealth from the few to the many. The invitation is here -

Are you a potential instructor or can you recommend someone?

https://wiki.opensourceecology.org/wiki/The_Invitation

Thanks,

4 Likes

@marcin_ose I’m interested if my skills and background would be useful to your project. I co-founded Los Angeles Makerspace, Connected Camps, KitHub and I work with Safecast. I focus on environmental pollution monitoring including air, noise, radiation and light and I’m planning to open an agroforestry lab next year. I develop STEAM curriculum for K-12th grade and for formal and informal educators. I’m a certified Globe.gov teacher, certified in education for sustainable development from Earth Charter Education Center and International Society of Forest Medicine in Japan. I’ve been to two GOSH events. I live in Tokyo. -Tara

1 Like

Fascinating background - let’s talk. Please see more info at STEAM Camp - How It Works - Open Source Ecology

and let’s set up a call to discuss - please fill out this Survey which includes setting up a time to talk.

https://wiki.opensourceecology.org/wiki/STEAM_Camp_Survey

Or you can email me at marcin at opensourceecology dot org.

Thanks,
Marcin

Just following up on this thread to point to the great curriculum and set of resources that Marcin and the team at Open Source Ecology have created for there STEAM Camp!

They are still looking for potential instructors and participants if you know anyone. Lots of the teaching is highly relevant for developing open hardware across many fields including science and could be inspiration for workshops others are planning!

Jenny

3 Likes

@tarabrown
I have interested in teaching and creation the STEAM curriculum for my students. Could you share the program or just list the topics “STEAM curriculum for K-12th grade and for formal and informal educators”
Thank you!

I attended the Microfactory STEAM Camp in January and we are planning another four day version March 14-17 with four locations. Looking for more instructors! Curriculum and collaborative process certainly do support skills for Open Hardware development. Hope to see you there!

OSE STEAM Camp March

1 Like

Hi Andriy, the program is this from our last event - https://www.opensourceecology.org/steam-camp-march-2020/#learning_program - a 9 day version. We will alternate between 9 day and 4 day camps monthly - so the next 4 day version next month is this - https://www.opensourceecology.org/steam-camp-march-2020/. If you would like to introduce this to your classroom - the idea is that we align several classrooms and convert them to global collaborative. In other words - all the classrooms collaborate on a design project - and development can happen synchronously and asynchronously as one team finishes, and the next team starts. So we develop a new paradigm of a global classroom. Perhaps building an open source 3D printed Raspberry Pi Tablet - or building a 3D printer/CNC machine. The topic must be something that can attract wide interest across multiple disciplines, so we can collaborate on many aspects at the same time. Imagine your classroom starting as a video call with other locations to coordinate and share experience. We have New Zealand on board and London International Academy is already collaborating - once we get a good group, this can take off on its own to convert the classroom to a global classroom of many classes working together. There are logistics/coordination issues to resolve - but the technology for this exists. Do you have a class that can get involved in a project? Email me at marcin at opensourceecology dot org if you want to pursue this.

1 Like

Hi Tara - maybe we can talk on a conference call? I’d like to invite you to be one of our collaborating instuctors if you are interesed, or to collaborate on open source product development. Please email me at marcin at opensourceecology dot org. I’m a cave monk myself.

Hi Marcin,
I am thinking about designing courses and workshops to teach academics and uni-students Open Source Hardware design, replication, prototyping, ways of contributing. Usually I work in a context of Nanotechnology and Biotechnology (so smaller scale, more precision, data generation, etc… Can you recommend parts of the Camp lessons that you could see could be extended to this audience? I see the units in the Wiki but I don’t see much detail how you engaged the audience with the topics and what your impression was about suitability for the different audiences. I am looking forward to (together) creating more open educational material in this field. See also post: OSH educational material

1 Like