Hacking friendly publication opportunity :)

Dear Hackers in GOSH,

Recently, I was invited to be a guest editor of [Biosensors] (IF: 5.519, ISSN 2079-6374) from a publisher “MDPI”.

Rather than refuse their invitation, I decided to do something crazy and fun: Having a special issue titled: Hacking Consumer Electronics for Biosensing. I would like to arrange hacking friendly peer reviewers for this special issue.

So, let’s hack the Academia world! To break the border between hacking and academia community :wink:

Hacking consumer electronics for biosensing is an unorthodox approach, which might be more complicated than using standard research-grade parts. However, leveraging the billions of USD invested, mass-produced, high-quality, and low-cost components in consumer electronics leads to many benefits, such as higher performance, shorter time-to-market, and lower production cost. This approach has resulted in high value-adding technologies/patents and has given birth to startup companies easily. For example, consumer electronics hacking-based biosensing research uses a Blu-ray drive for disease diagnostics, became a startup (BluSense Diagnostics), and is nominated for the 2021 European Inventor Award.

Furthermore, the consumer electronics hacking-based publication generally attracts more attention and citation than a regular research paper due to the low cost and because off-the-shelf consumer electronics are easy to access from well-funded for resource researchers worldwide. This Special Issue is to honor your hacking work, and we wish to build up a consumer hardware hacking community that can give birth to the world’s first scientific journal for consumer electronics hacking-based research.

All the biosensing research using consumer electronics as core parts of the sensor are welcome!

Editors
Prof. Dr. En Te Hwu
Prof. Dr. Hua-Zhong “Hogan” Yu

Pls find more info here: