GOSH Workshop Modules - under development

Dear Goshonians,

I am currently developing a set of modules around Open Science Hardware, ultra-simple and low-cost, with the goal to get over some of our key values and approaches. It’s preparations for an upcoming workshop here in Yogyakarta, Universitas Gadja Mada, happening on the 11th of August.

I am working on my most popular and well developed workshop concepts and would be happy to share and get feedback. Starting notes on a gdoc. Further documentation is available on the Hackteria wiki.

Module 1 - DIY Microscope
A classic since 2009 in the Hackteria repertoire and has been picked up, “copied”, adapted, forked, presented and sold zagillions of times! But it’s always the best!

As kinda instruction it’s described on the hackteria wiki, but i want to focus on the educational implementation in this discussion here. Also the recent Kit by PublicLab has embraced many important pedagogic learnings of the module.

I want to refer to some pedagogic concept described here and on J’aime.

• The workshop should NOT be just a step-by-step assembly class
  • Divergent designs
  • Use locally available materials
  • to be continued

Materials needed

Module 2 - DIY Sensor Board "Prototyping Spectrophotometers"
In this module we get down a bit more on hardware and electronics, what is a “sensor”, how to make a scientific measurement setup and use it for a basic detection of particles (bacteria or yeast) in liquid culture (aka turbidity meter aka OD-value).

Again we want to include a creative process in the making of the electronics and the measurement setup. Thus we use an “incomplete” kit and limited instructions.

The board we developed is based on our easy-to-use attiny85
arduino compatible platform (also use for8BitMixtape), that can be flashed with an audio-signal to reprogrammed for different code examples. the extended version also has USB capabilities to be detected as a HID keyboard and type numbers into your computer. There is also visual programming available here

The boards can be re-designed, hand-soldered, or pre-made, depending on the time available.
The key activity making a measurement setup, using light sources (LED) and light sensors.

3 Likes

The boards arrive and we tested them. If someone wants to try themselves, we uploaded all gerber, kicad and BOM here:

2 Likes