GOSH 2023 Election Candidate Statement: Saad Chinoy

This thread is for the candidate statement of the 2023 GOSH Community Council Election candidate Saad Chinoy (@saadcaffeine). Saad, you can reply to this post with your candidate statement. I have included the candidate statement template below for your reference:

2023 GOSH Community Council Election Candidate Statement Template

1. Candidate Name:

2. Please provide a short biography, and describe some of your participation and contributions in the GOSH community (approximately 3-5 sentences):

3. Please provide a position statement (approximately 3-5 sentences) indicating why you are running for Community Council, your priorities for the community, and what you hope to achieve:

4. Tell us how your experience, skills, and/or qualifications allow for effectively serving and governing communities (approximately 2-3 sentences):

5. Please detail which of the eight existing Community Council governance domain(s) you are interested in taking on (this does not have to be a firm commitment), plus what you would like to do within that domain(s). (approximately 2-3 sentences)

6. Please confirm that you are able and willing to participate in regularly scheduled council meetings at least twice a month.

2 Likes

1. Candidate Name:
Saad Chinoy
2. Please provide a short biography, and describe some of your participation and contributions in the GOSH community (approximately 3-5 sentences):
I identify as a caffeinated geek and resonate with the stereotypical “That IT Guy from India” that used to be a thing, especially when the WiFi stopped working. Having been in tech since Nestscape Navigator, I’ve been on both sides of tech hype and buzz words. I’m the co-founder of tech startup SpudnikLab (digital literacy), Edible Makerspace (diy bio community space), and SalvageGarden Assistive Makerspace (co-creation of assistive devices).
What always stands out to me is how people respond and the choices we make in adopting technology. With the Internet of Things in particular, looking at opensource from a hardware perspective getting increasingly more accessible and affordable, digital skills produce tangible physical outcomes. Considering the number of geeks in the world today, I find this to be full of very exciting potential. What challenges will we choose to take on? How do we treat the people behind the tech? Will we make people adapt to the things we make or choose to make things that make sense?

3. Please provide a position statement (approximately 3-5 sentences) indicating why you are running for Community Council, your priorities for the community, and what you hope to achieve:
With the Community Council I’d like to help identify and develop areas of potential collaboration and engagement between Members and their organisations. Reaching out through community networks like the Global Innovation Gathering and FabLab Network could lead to collaborative relationships on projects and events.

4. Tell us how your experience, skills, and/or qualifications allow for effectively serving and governing communities (approximately 2-3 sentences):
I serve as part of the Supervisory Board of the Global Innovation Gathering that has been a constant source of inspiration in so many ways, the diversity and Global nature of the GIG community echoes several of the challenges and opportunities I’ve observed with GOSH. I think there’s much more that both groups could benefit by learning from one another. My experience over the years spans fundraising, organising hackathons, mentoring teams, facilitating participatory design sessions, and conducting hands-on workshops. My interests are now centred on how might we make these activities inclusive while making things that make sense.

5. Please detail which of the eight existing Community Council governance domain(s) you are interested in taking on (this does not have to be a firm commitment), plus what you would like to do within that domain(s). (approximately 2-3 sentences)
Gatherings / Events – would be great to have a GOSH in Southeast Asia wouldn’t it? I could also help with the Roadmap activities.

6. Please confirm that you are able and willing to participate in regularly scheduled council meetings at least twice a month.
yes, and yes.

4 Likes