GOSH 2023 book club meetings!

Dear friends,

Just a thought I had last night on the last book, is it possible that all the really fancy (and seemingly hard to grasp) theories we encountered perhaps do not boil down into ‘it’ll be really hot’, ‘it’ll be really cold’, ‘anything can happen’ (for the probabilities one)', and so on?

And if so, isn’t it a real pity that soooo many brilliant minds, instead of working on for example world poverty, suffer so many years with so much arcane things in order to come down to these really simple (when construed qualitatively) ideas?
What do you think? @briannaljohns @hpy

1 Like

I’ve filled in the poll and looking forward to the next meeting! Forgot to check in on here for ages so I missed the recent meeting :frowning:

2 Likes

Great to hear from you @annasera! Let me know if you’re able to get the book. If not I might be able to help.

2 Likes

Thanks very much @hpy - I’ve ordered a second hand hard copy

1 Like

Glad you found a copy! I haven’t finished the book yet, but for me so far it’s certainly been worth buying a copy. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi all!

Based on the meeting poll, I have scheduled the next book club meeting for August 31 at 12:30pm UTC! The meeting has also been added to the GOSH Calendar.

We will be discussing Chokepoint Capitalism by Rebecca Giblin and Cory Doctorow. Anyone is welcome to join, even if you didn’t get the chance to finish the book :slight_smile:

See you all then!
Bri

4 Likes

Shall we use this BigBlueButton meeting room again?

Hi @hpy,

Shall we use this BigBlueButton meeting room again?

Yes, let’s definitely use this meeting room again! The access code to enter is GOSH2023, and you can enter your name into the “name” field when joining.

Thanks, and see you all next week!
Bri

2 Likes

Hello everyone!

This is a reminder that the next GOSH Book Club is happening this week, on August 31 at 12:30pm UTC!

We will discuss the book Chokepoint Capitalism by Rebecca Giblin and Cory Doctorow. We invite you to join us, even if you didn’t get the chance to finish the book!

I have started writing down some questions in this document, although I have only read the first half of the book. Feel free to add any questions you want to discuss to this document!

We will meet via this meeting room: https://communitybridge.com/bbb-room/gosh-community-room/. The access code is GOSH2023, and just enter your name into the “name” field when joining :slight_smile:

Look forward to the meeting tomorrow, it’s been a great book so far!
Bri

1 Like

Hi GOSHers!

We had another lovely book club meeting yesterday, thank you to @annasera @hpy and @saadcaffeine for joining! We had some great conversation about the book Chokepoint Capitalism - and discovered that all four of us have only read half the book!

We would like to plan the next book club meeting for mid-late October so that we can reconvene and discuss the second half of the book. These meetings are open to anyone, so feel free to join us!

If you would like to join, fill out this meeting poll so that we can find a time to meet.

Thanks,
Bri

2 Likes

[crossposted to Turing Way community Slack]

Just stumbled upon a new book that’s definitely now on my reading wishlist:
Data Feminism” by Catherine D’Ignazio and Lauren F. Klein from MIT Press:

Especially like this part of the description:

Data Feminism offers strategies for data scientists seeking to learn how feminism can help them work toward justice, and for feminists who want to focus their efforts on the growing field of data science. But Data Feminism is about much more than gender. It is about power, about who has it and who doesn’t, and about how those differentials of power can be challenged and changed.

And… it’s readable on PubPub!!!

2 Likes

Dear @hpy , first proviso, I haven’t read much of the description either, but isn’t it a bit obvious that the game, even the data game is skewed against women, and that there must be a way to fight against it? I’d suggest, maybe alongside this, the work of Sabina Leonelli, just throwing in a name about data (though please be charitable with me, i don’t mean to sound simplistic or disrespectful with my first sentence, I apologise if it came along that way). Would love to engage more, anyway!

take care!
Best Wishes,
Haris

2 Likes

Hi all,

Thanks to those who filled out the meeting poll! Based on everyone’s availability, I have scheduled the next GOSH Book Club meeting for Tuesday, October 24 at 10am UTC. I have also added the meeting to the GOSH Calendar.

We will be discussing the second half of Chokepoint Capitalism by Rebecca Giblin and Cory Doctorow. We will meet via this Big Blue Button meeting room: GOSH Community Room – CommunityBridge. The access code is GOSH2023 , and just enter your name into the “name” field when joining!

Bri

1 Like

Thanks @briannaljohns I’ve added the time/date to my calendar.

BTW, I think it’s fine for anyone who has ready any part of the book to join and discuss!

@haris No worries thanks for sharing your thoughts! TIL Sabina Leonelli, curious which one of their works are key to read!

1 Like

Thanks @briannaljohns , sorry I hadn’t filled in the poll but the time is now in my calendar, looking forward to it!

1 Like

Sounds super interesting, let’s add it to the list!

1 Like

Dear @hpy , I was just going to say she may have some online talks on youtube or other channels, though i just discovered this: project | Sociology, Philosophy and Anthropology | University of Exeter to which I can only say OMFG (not sure what you meant by TIL, i found ‘today i learnt’, i’m using OMFG as Oh my F********ng God!) she’s got two million for a project mentioning open science, so can you please please please mail her as professor to professor and put in a good word for me, even if i haven’t written anything in academic channels lately? i’m getting really close to flipping-burgers-job-to-pay-rent at the moment!

or, alternatively talk her into joining one of our sessions, or anything, just anything to get her to engage with GOSH or OH or anything we (ok, maybe i should say ‘you’) do, it’d be a real pity if such a huge project was totally ignorant of such vibrant communities!

Hi all,

This is a reminder that the next GOSH Book Club meeting is happening this week, on Tuesday, October 24 at 10am UTC!

We will be discussing the second half of Chokepoint Capitalism by Rebecca Giblin and Cory Doctorow. We will meet via this Big Blue Button meeting room: GOSH Community Room – CommunityBridge . The access code is GOSH2023 , and just enter your name into the “name” field when joining!

The meeting is also available on the GOSH Calendar .

Thanks and see you soon!
Bri

1 Like

Hi all!

We decided on the next book to read at today’s book club meeting (thanks @saadcaffeine, @annasera & @hpy for joining!) and we are going with The Internet Con: How to Seize the Means of Computation by Cory Doctorow. The book is a sequel to our last read, Chokepoint Capitalism, so we are excited to read it next!

I have created a meeting poll here so that we can find a time to schedule the next book club meeting.

There were a couple other books mentioned during the meeting that I thought to share, and I will add them to the GOSH reading list as well.

That’s all for now!
Bri

3 Likes

Thanks as always for organising, @briannaljohns!

I wasn’t out looking for this, but I randomly stumbled upon this virtual event by the University of Edinburgh with Cory Doctorow, the author of The Internet Con mentioned above:

In case you’re interested, “skimming” the recording of this interview with the author might help you decide if you want to actually read the book.

1 Like