DEADLINE DECEMBER 8: Content for NASA TOPS Module on Open Science Hardware

Thank you @jcm80!! :hearts: I agree this is a good case of something the GOSH community wants to pursue that the OSHF can be a fiscal sponsor for. Really appreciate the partnership with the OSHF here.

Also agree it would be good to put something together as best as we can. Even if we don’t meet this deadline, there’s a reasonable chance another call like this will come up in 2023.

Hi all! Based on the results of the meeting poll, I have scheduled a meeting for this on November 30 at 9 am ET/ 2 pm UTC.

I have invited most of you on this thread via Google Calendar, but if anyone else would like to join the event is also available on the GOSH calendar.

1 Like

just saw this thread that might be of interest: Open science online course - #5 by jarancio

1 Like

Hey, thanks for sharing. It sounds interesting and I’m going to try to join tomorrow.

1 Like

hi, I don’t know much about the topic, but I thought of bringing https://libre.space/ to your attention. They have been building open space technology for a while now, so maybe it’s worth it having them involved? cheers

1 Like

Hi all,

I am responding to this thread with notes and the next steps from today’s meeting.

People on the call:

Meeting summary

• Context: NASA TOPST program is looking for materials to teach and train scientists on Open Science. Deadline December 8, and very likely that this is one of many calls that NASA will have in the coming months. The call is geared towards space and earth science and for those in the US.
  • Discussion on whether we have best practices for OH → André and Open Hardware Makers (OHM) have been working on this since 2018, and Julien and Open.make are working on guidelines in the coming months.
  • Decided we will not submit a proposal for this call, due to the limited time and the fact that we don’t fit the call’s requirements for most of the work being done in the US.
  • However, noted this is an opportunity for two things 1) getting the OScH and NASA communities connected and 2) to consolidate efforts between various OScH training, mentorship, and other programs.

Important links from the meeting:

1. Link for upcoming NASA community calls.
  2. OHM curriculum

You can see the full notes from the meeting here.

Next steps

1. Post to the forum looking for various OScH mentorship and/or training materials and programs, or other materials related to best practices for OH. (@amchagas did you want to start this thread on the forum? If not, I am happy to).
  2. Meet to discuss how we can imagine a future collaboration between OScH and NASA communities → we have a meeting scheduled for this on Jan 17 (send me a message if you’d like to be involved). We will come prepared for the meeting with ideas of how this collaboration could look.
  3. Meet again to discuss OH/OScH training materials. Let’s find a time to meet in January, fill out this poll to see what time works best for everyone.

That’s all for now!

Bri

3 Likes

I just saw this thread!

Thank you @briannaljohns for the summary! Looks really interesting.

As a GOSH funded project, we will be happy provide some materials from the Real Time Nucleic Acid Amplification group. The open qLAMP it’s already working and we can produce a few units in a relatively short time in case genetic amplification/biosensing can be useful for the call!

Just let us know:)

2 Likes

done! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Realize I’m responding in the 11th hour here, but want to add support on this and help get a proposed curriculum across the finish line. I have experience in developing open syllabi, assessment metrics, course modules/assignments, etc and am very happy to help. I also teach in Public Interest Tech/open/makerspaces/fabrication so could pitch in on the instruction side as well further down the line.

@amchagas @briannaljohns - any place for me to dive in?

From the call notes, it appears as though reconvening in January is the approach. In wanting to put the next community call on my calendar, I noted that the link throws a 404. :frowning:

2 Likes

Hi @Sarah,

Happy to see that you have joined the thread!

@amchagas @briannaljohns - any place for me to dive in?

I’d suggest taking a look at the wiki that @amchagas has set up here and filling out this poll to find a time to meet again and discuss training materials.

Thanks!
Bri

1 Like

Hey team!

I hope the meeting worked out today. I missed a flight while traveling for a conference and was literally in the air when you guys were meeting.

Is there any way that you could provide a summary of the discussion in the forum?

Also, did this get discussed today?

NASA’s Open-Source Science Initiative (OSSI) is pleased to announce a new funding opportunity under ROSES-2022, F.15 High Priority Open-Source Science (HPOSS). This program will provide funding for innovative work that supports the goals of the OSSI, including making science more accessible, inclusive, and reproducible. Proposals must be for new work to develop technology that will support open-source science, which may include the development of data formats, software, frameworks, or libraries. In addition to these core criteria, we welcome proposals that would support the goals of NASA’s Transform to Open Science (TOPS) initiative, such as broadening participation by historically excluded communities.

Award amounts will be approximately $100,000, and work must be completed within one year. HPOSS has a rolling due date, and proposals under ROSES-2022 will be accepted until March 29, 2023. We will hold an information session for potential proposers to HPOSS on January 19, 2023, 1:00-2:00 pm ET. Visit the NSPIRES page for more details, and reach out to Rachel Paseka (rachel.e.paseka@nasa.gov) or Steve Crawford (steven.m.crawford@nasa.gov) with any questions about this funding opportunity.

1 Like

Hi @VertiCulture indeed @briannaljohns emailed those who were at the previous meeting with what we discussed including action items. Let us know if you didn’t get the email.

And thanks for noting the NASA funding call. I just shared it in a post here, too!

hey @briannaljohns , I apparently missed this, sorry.

Are there notes? We want to do something about training material with @rmies (and probably @jarancio), we would better do it in coordination with the community here…

Best,
Julien

2 Likes

Who, if anyone, in the GOSH forum has submitted a proposal to this request for proposals? I am an engineering professor at Florida Tech (the closest university to NASA’s Kennedy Space Center) and have set up a maker education program already and am writing an electronic textbook on maker education (within a month or so of finishing a first draft).

The course that serves as a training ground for my open source hardware initiative is listed here:
CHE4568: The Basics of Making, Summer 2022, Sect. 01 (instructure.com)

My group is putting together a hybrid of a nanoparticle tracking analyzer, a confocal laser scanning microscope, a nanopositioning system, and a zeta particle analyzer to eventually watch cells move toward their eventual tissues in the presence of electric and magnetic fields, along with growth and differentiation factors.

2 Likes

Hi!

Some of us are talking about possibly applying for a small, online event to workshop the topic of open science space hardware (to be confirmed):

@Juliencolomb: Once we’ve consolidated the list @amchagas started, I’m happy to share a summarised spiel with NASA TOPS to see if they can support us to create a teaching module for the open science curriculum they are creating/curating.

@jbrennerFIT: I am not aware of a GOSH person submitting a proposal, but I think your open source hardware course looks great! Maybe you can add it to the list above?

@hpy Which list do you want me to add the open source hardware course to? If it is simpler for you to paste it, just paste the following:

Jim Brenner, Florida Institute of Technology
The Basics of Making - CHE4568: The Basics of Making, Summer 2022, Sect. 01
Anyone who reads this and wants to use the site can do so,
but should e-mail me at jbrenner@fit.edu first.

Thanks,
Jim Brenner

1 Like

I am willing to teach the entire Basics of Making course to people outside Florida Institute of Technology in the fall of 2023 or the summer of 2024 (the next two times I will offer the course to in person participants), if such participants register sufficiently far in advance. The kits for the course are $250 including a $50 budget (that is typically exceeded out of my pocket for FIT students) for the end-of-semester project. There is a lot of work to be the logistics manager for many projects running simultaneously. The $250 is in lieu of paying a bookstore for the textbook I am authoring. To get actual university credit for the course, I am sure that we would have to make arrangement for my university to get paid. While I realize that isn’t totally in keeping with the open source ideal, without it, I won’t have time to manage all the additional students.

1 Like

Just jumping in to confirm that if a group of people from the community would like to apply to the NASA call, then the Open Science Hardware Foundation can act as the fiscal sponsor and grant administrator, we would need a heads up soon though :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

The NSF version of this kind of open source hardware request for proposals is at Pathways to Enable Open-Source Ecosystems (POSE) (nsf23556) | NSF - National Science Foundation. I plan to organize a team related to this and the NASA call. There are some citizenship restrictions on the money.

Best regards,
Jim Brenner
Florida Tech Nanotechnology Minor Program Chair
321-749-3437
jbrenner@fit.edu

2 Likes

Dear friends,

I don’t know if it’s too late for me to join in, but I’d really love to get involved in this, I sincerely believe I have something to contribute to it.

So there I am, offering (at the moment, don’t know if this may change) time and my services to anybody interested :slight_smile:

Dear @jbrennerFIT , do you have anything specific in mind for the NASA team? Want to keep me on the loop?

Best Wishes,
Haris

1 Like