Commercially available medical/wearable devices that provide access to raw data?

Hello!

Could anyone suggest some commercially available wearable medical devices (i.e. heart rate monitors, blood pressure cuffs, blood oxygen monitors, etc) that provide the user with access to the raw data coming off the sensors? Ideally this would come in the form of time-series recordings of the data coming off the relevant sensors, ideally at a rate that is faster than, say, 10HZ (but I’d love it if it was orders of magnitude faster!)

Ideally this would be something that I could buy off the shelf (I kinda lack the time and capacity to build something from scratch right now), but if that’s not possible I’d also be happy for any suggestions for methods to build my own such systems (or even better, to hack apart commercial systems to access the raw data!)

Thanks in advance!!

1 Like

And if those don’t exist… Does anyone want to make some? :joy:

Off the top of my head, I can think of a pretty easy-ish way to make a finger-clamp style blood oxygenation (SpO2) monitor

(Here’s a project like that - https://www.instructables.com/Arduino-Pulse-Oximeter-Using-MAX30100/
…but it uses a dedicate piece of hardware for the actual measurement. I think it could be done with a generic rPI camera, a few LED’s and a bit of simple OpenCV-based image analysis)

Hi!

I unfortunately do not know any of the devices you mentioned.

But if I could make a wish: I would love to see a non-intrusive device to measure blood sugar. :smiley:
Can’t be so hard, can it? :smiley:

Otherwise I thought that it would be cool and useful to hack/extend the functionality of the FreeStyle Libre from Abbott.

All of this Diabetes-themed. :stuck_out_tongue:

Olimex has some biosensors… maybe that is useful?

I used this arduino shield (second link) and it “spits out” integers. As in the “raw” data converted from analog to digital…

LILYGO has TTGO smart bands with the required sensors as add-ons.

Also, there are many smartwatches that have open-source software, e.g., PineTime, Bangle.js, so you can write your own apps and PineTime works gadgetbridge.