Candidate Statement: Pierre Padilla-Huamantinco

This thread is for the candidate statement of 2021 GOSH Community Council Election candidate Pierre Padilla-Huamantinco (@biomakers_lab). Pierre, you can reply to this post with your candidate statement. I have included the candidate statement template below for your reference:

2021 GOSH Community Council Election Candidate Statement Template

Candidate Name:

Please provide a short biography, and describe some of your participation and contributions in the GOSH community (3-5 sentences):

Please provide a position statement (5-7 sentences), indicating why you are running for Community Council, your priorities for the community, and what you hope to achieve:

Candidate statements do not have to be in English. For more information on the Candidate Statement’s category, please read the about post pinned to this category.

Candidate Name: Pierre Padilla-Huamantinco

Short biography
Hi, I’m Pierre Padilla-Huamantinco from Lima, Peru. Currently, I’m a Ph.D. student in Bioengineering at PUC (Chile). I have a degree in Electronic Engineering and a Master’s degree in Biomedical Informatics for Global Health. I’ve been participating in Open Science communities since 2014. I joined the GOSH community in 2017 (Chile). My main contributions and collaborations with the global community have been: A DIY-BIO guide for setting up biohacking spaces (available in four languages) and the proposal of reGOSH (the Latin American GOSH venue). My main interest: open-source hardware for studying diseases.

Hola, soy Pierre Padilla Huamantinco de Lima, Perú. Actualmente, soy estudiante de doctorado en Bioingeniería en la PUC (Chile). Mi formación es en Ingeniería Electrónica y tengo una Maestría en Informática Biomédica para la Salud Global. Participo en comunidades de Ciencia Abierta desde 2014. Me uní a la comunidad de GOSH en 2017 (Chile). Mis principales contribuciones y colaboraciones con la comunidad global han sido: Una guía DIY-BIO para la creación de espacios de biohacking (disponible en cuatro idiomas) y la propuesta de reGOSH (el espacio latinoamericano de GOSH). Mi principal interés: hardware libre para el estudio de enfermedades.

Position Statement
My primary motivation is to make OSH ubiquitous by 2025, especially in Latinamerica. I believe in local and regional collaborations. I want to promote partnerships between networks based on their needs and strengths. Also, to support the creation and formalization of decentralized initiatives with sustainable models through mentoring programs. There is still a gap in the participation of minorities. I would work with the global community on strategies to have more inclusive local spaces and events.

Mi principal motivación es lograr que el Hardware Científico Libre sea ubicuo para el 2025, especialmente en América Latina. Creo en las colaboraciones locales y regionales. Me gustaría promover asociaciones entre redes en función de sus necesidades y fortalezas. Asimismo, apoyar la creación y/o formalización de iniciativas descentralizadas con modelos sostenibles a través de programas de mentoría. Todavía hay una brecha en la participación de las minorías. Trabajaría con la comunidad global en estrategias para tener espacios y eventos locales más inclusivos.

7 Likes