Candidate Statement: Harry Akligoh

This thread is for the candidate statement of 2021 GOSH Community Council Election candidate Harry Akligoh (@Hail_Harry). Harry, you can reply to this post with your candidate statement. I have included the candidate statement template below for your reference:

2021 GOSH Community Council Election Candidate Statement Template

Candidate Name:

Please provide a short biography, and describe some of your participation and contributions in the GOSH community (3-5 sentences):

Please provide a position statement (5-7 sentences), indicating why you are running for Community Council, your priorities for the community, and what you hope to achieve:

Candidate statements do not have to be in English. For more information on the Candidate Statement’s category, please read the about post pinned to this category.

Candidate Name: Harry Sefoga AKLIGOH

Please provide a short biography, and describe some of your participation and contributions in the GOSH community (3-5 sentences):
I am an African scientist and researcher from Ghana with over three years of active participation in Open Science and Open Science Hardware in Africa. My participation and contribution to the GOSH community is linked to my role as a steering committee member of Africa OSH, a regional GOSH event in Africa.

Please provide a position statement (5-7 sentences), indicating why you are running for Community Council, your priorities for the community, and what you hope to achieve:
The GOSH Roadmap to make Open Science Hardware ubiquitous globally by 2030 is a motivation I personally believe in. This cannot be actualized without the full and active participation of people from underrepresented backgrounds especially from Africa. I therefore, chose to run for the GOSH community Council as a member to represent Africa bringing to the table Africa perspectives on how we can actively participate in Open Science and Hardware (OSH) while harnessing its full potential for community development. As a council member from Africa, I would through GOSH promote the formalization of Africa OSH and also work closely with other stakeholders to actualize the GOSH roadmap of making OSH ubiquitous in Africa by securing a sustainable funding support to promote the work of Africa OSH long term while also ensuring consistency in our programming especially our summits.

7 Likes

So awesome Harry!
Quick question: I don’t know about how AfricaOSH is currently organized, what does it need to become “formalized” like you suggested?

1 Like

Hi Hikinghack :slight_smile: (Sorry I don’t know your name)

Africa OSH is a yearly event which happens in a country chosen by the steering committee members. The point about ensuring that Africa OSH is formalized is to get it registered and get at least one full time or part-time employee working on some administrative tasks.

3 Likes