Candidate Statement: Harold Tay

This thread is for the candidate statement of 2022 GOSH Community Council Election candidate Harold Tay (@harold). Harold, you can reply to this post with your candidate statement. I have included the candidate statement template below for your reference:

2022 GOSH Community Council Election Candidate Statement Template

Candidate Name:

Please provide a short biography, and describe some of your participation and contributions in the GOSH community (3-5 sentences):

Please provide a position statement (5-7 sentences), indicating why you are running for Community Council, your priorities for the community, and what you hope to achieve:

1 Like

2022 GOSH Community Council Election: Candidate Statement Template

Candidate Name: Harold Tay

Please provide a short biography, and describe some of your participation and contributions in the GOSH community (3-5 sentences) :

I have previously worked as an engineer in underwater acoustics and underwater robotics, in software, and also in mechanical design. I’m no longer early-career anything, such that I can work on those things I find interesting or important. Now I make equipment for wildlife conservationists, the current major project being monitoring, detection, and localisation of blast fishing. Shenzhen 2018 was my first experience with GOSH where I was struck by the number of interesting and fascinating people doing interesting and fascinating work. I am an editor for JOH. And I lurk.

Please provide a position statement (5-7 sentences), indicating why you are running for Community Council, your priorities for the community, and what you hope to achieve:

Someone nominated me, I took it to mean they think I should start contributing more, and I find I agree. I think we’re still making the transition from old GOSH to new GOSH, Inc, and challenges remain. We’ll need to bolster the institution and culture of the council before we run out of old guard members who now make it up. I see that as the most pressing task that supports our efforts towards advancing openness, scienceness, and hardwareness.

3 Likes