"Blue Greece" - Mentor meetings notes

This thread will be used to document the exchanges between mentor & mentee of the project Blue Greece .

After each meeting you can add your notes as a reply to this thread, so you can have all your notes in one place. Remember the forum is a public place, don’t document any personal information.

Here’s a suggested format for taking notes, feel free to copy and paste with your notes for each meeting.

Mentor meeting 1

• Date:
  • Attendees:

Agenda

1. Recap from previous meeting (or expectations & goals if this is your 1st meeting)
  2. This week’s assignments: questions, doubts, challenges?
  3. Timeline: are we on track?
  4. Contacting experts: do we need help?
  5. Any other questions or comments?

Actions for next meeting

1 Like

Mentor meeting 1

Date: 01/04/2022

Attendees: Simon, Spyros (mentees) & Antonio (mentor)

Agenda

introducing ourselves (background and involvement in OSH)

introducing the project (status, history, etc)

Discussed the needs of the project and Antonio shared various interesting projects that could be somehow related to this one

1 Like

Is it virtual introduction,and if yes when and at what time?

Hi @Chardso ! This was a virtual introduction indeed and it took place on April 1st. If you are interested to find out more about the project, you may have a look at our page: BlueGreece or contact us at: turtles@bluegreece.org

Blue Greece:
@jarancio
@inspyros

1. Recap:
    We scheduled our call in April 1st. We talked about the status of the project. One of the main goals of the project is to be manufactured and distributed using the Fablab network which has some success cases and we talked about all this projects. Another of the things that took more time to clarify was related to manufacturing processes and materials selection for the hardware part of the project. The project status is on idea conception.

2. Assignments:
    Examples for OH on Small and Medium companies.

3. Time line:
    Current status is: Idea conception.
    Dead line for body of work is May 2022.

4. Contacting experts:
    Scheduling call with FabLab network mentors.

5. Any other questions or comments?
    The time line for the body of work is critical. Blue Greece might need to find a project boiler plate, ̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶p̶o̶s̶s̶i̶b̶l̶e̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶k̶ ̶a̶n̶ ̶e̶x̶i̶s̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶s̶i̶m̶i̶l̶a̶r̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶j̶e̶c̶t̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶w̶o̶r̶k̶ ̶f̶r̶o̶m̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶?̶ ̶I̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶s̶t̶i̶l̶l̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶s̶c̶o̶p̶e̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶g̶r̶a̶m̶?̶ ̶There are some examples on Public Lab. (https://publiclab.org/wiki/water-quality) (https://publiclab.org/tag/water)

Note: after reading the guide I realized the answer to this question. It is part of the scope of the program.

Actions for next meeting:

Read the guidelines of the program as an introduction.
Check more examples.
Review on manufacturing processes.
Review on design requirements.

Alright,I will document my 2 meetings I had.

Hi @chardso, here is the link to document your meetings: "Building an FM transmitter" - Mentor meetings notes

Mentor meeting 2

Date: 21/04/2022

Attendees: Spyros (mentee) & Antonio (mentor)

Recap

Discussed the need to map similar solutions or useful compnents and build a database , looking for information at places like Publiclab or Hackaday.

Discussed some design principles and the need to work with a designer who has experience with water topics (or similar field)

Discussed examples of successful collaborations between SMEs and OSH, but also OSH projects that evolved into companies.
e.g. Miroculus - Miriam, Openawg, Formlabs, Shapertools

The conclusion was that the team could focus on building a first prototype or MVP and not worry so much about the design at the moment.

1 Like

Mentor meeting 3

Date: 26/04/2022

Recap
The importance of documentation was discussed.
It was suggested to view miroculus documentation as an example.

OH Licenses and their differences were also discussed:
OS vs Libre,
Cern, GPL and MIT
Creative Commons

Version Control was explained.
GitHub and GitLab and Instructables as options.

Antonio kindly offered to assist the team in setting up its repository.

Mentor meeting 4

Date: 12/05/2022

Recap
Discussion focused on improving documentation and road mapping.

Regarding documentation it was suggested to document the process and not only the outcome.

This should assist people to understand the way we work, especially since our project does not follow the typical way of OH making, but kind of follows GNU’s story, where the project starts with defying specifications, deadlines, processes, etc and then invites people to actually build it.

Task for next meeting:

Build a timeline and project specifications and a context page (mission, vision, impact, why we do it, etc)

Mentor meeting 5

Date: 10/06/2022

Attendees: Spyros (mentee) & Antonio (mentor)

Recap
Discussion focused on Github improvement, first designs and community building.

Regarding documentation it was suggested to document the process directly on Github and not only the clean versions.

Good examples of project specifications shared.

Comparison was made between Google Doc and Github version control.

Next actions for team’s community building discussed.

Last actions before showcase clarified.

First Manifest to be created.