Anyone attending OpenCon 2017 in Berlin?

Hi everyone, how are you doing?!

I’ve been out of sight due to some personal issues, but fortunately back on the road now. I’ll be attending this year’s OpenCon in Berlin from 11-13 November -thank you, Scholarships’ God-

So I’m starting this topic a) To see if anyone here is attending, b) If that’s the case, if you’d like to prepare something for the Unconference slots in the agenda, regarding GOSH c) If you’re not attending but will be in Berlin, maybe we can meet? I’ll be there for a month.

Hope to meet some of you! Meanwhile, have some Cocteau Twins :kissing_heart:

2 Likes

Hi @jarancio,

to c)…
I’m based in Berlin. I’m not going to make it to OpenCon, but our annual Berlin Science Hack Day is the weekend after, 17-19th November – maybe you want to join :slight_smile: It’s our 5th edition and a big volunteer-organised family party of a hackathon that connects scientists, artists, designers, developers and other enthusiasts to each other for a all-day all-night weekend of diverse science hacking. We open for registration on 30th October at 6PM CEST and often book out quickly (in days or even hours), so if you’d like to come please don’t be late signing up. We would love to have you with us.

Lucy

2 Likes

That’s perfect! I’ll be there, just added the date of registration to my agenda :smiley:

1 Like

Dear July and Lucy,
Unfortunatelly, I will not be attending OpenCon 2017, but I’ll be participating with a communication in the “Challenging Corporealities” Conference at the Universitat of Barcelona on 9th and 10th october https://challengingcorporealities.wordpress.com/
Maybe there can be a chance of attending OpenCon if I manage to cover my travel expenses by my own from Barcelona (I have to confirm this with Open-Con organizers)
Anyway -and after attending a week ago the “Global Community Bio Summit” at the MIT (global community of bio-hackers and members of independent and community laboratories)- I would really want to join you in both events: (maybe Juli we can prepare previously something together in Buenos Aires, despite I can join you or not at the OpenCon). In any case I would really want to be part of the Berlin Science Hack Day! What do you think?

Laura

2 Likes

Lau! That would be great, are you now in Buenos Aires? I thought you were still abroad. If you’re here, let’s meet and work on something :slight_smile:

yes I’m here Juli, Maybe next week we can meet. Let me know about your agenda. Here is my email: olaldelaura@gmail.com
Let’s do it! :slight_smile:

1 Like

@jarancio. I will attend the Opencon17…nice to meet you there

1 Like

Great @thomasmboa! See you there, let’s keep in touch.

Hello @jarancio and @thomasmboa! I’ll be at OpenCon as well. Can’t wait to meet you in Berlin!

2 Likes

I will be attending ! :slight_smile: I see you in Berlin

2 Likes

Very glad to see you there @Alexis_Johnson

1 Like

can you also count me in? my flight for Cameroon is on the 20th so I can attend the event if possible

1 Like

Hi, this Doathon will be organised during the Opencon : http://doathon.opencon2017.org/

I think, it will be very interesting if we can organize a MiniGosh station during this activity.

What do you think? @jarancio @Alexis_Johnson @luchenry.voyage

1 Like

Hey Thomas,
We already opened and filled registration, but I reckon we could still squeeze you in. I’ll talk to the other organisers. It’d be great if you could sign up to our waiting list here: https://ti.to/science-hack-day-berlin/shdb17/ (link at end of event description). Thanks! :slight_smile:
Lucy

Hello Thomas, thanks for the idea. But I have proposed 2 projects. I will have a unique chance to raise awareness about gender related and trans* safety in the education architecture, and since I live here in Germany, it is really important to make social impact in that matter, where I have personally had to cope with vulnerabilities.

Totally agree, I’m not sure about submitting a challenge or a project, what do you think @thomasmboa?

@nanocastro @laola @gpereyrairujo we have the chance of submitting a project or challenge (first one is more hands-on, second one is more discussion) to the OpenCon Do-A-Thon. Maybe we can use some of the ideas we discussed at the Argentina Workshop? What do you think?

Ok everyone, I’m proposing an unconference session (more info below) about GOSH and democratizing technology together with @thomasmboa , if anyone’s around, we’d love to see you there =)

Free/Libre Open source hardware, or the quest of democratizing technology

In this unconference session we want to share the experience of the Global Open Science Hardware (GOSH) movement, a recent but ambitious and horizontal initiative that aims for all science hardware equipment to be open by 2025. Within that frame, we’re interested in discussing ideas regarding challenges, opportunities and what we mean by democratizing technology.

1 Like

Here are the notes of OpenCon session

Free-Libre Open source hardware, or the quest of democratizing technology

Session Lead Name: Julieta Arancio - Thomas Mboa
Session Contact: jarancio@fund-cenit.org.ar; thomamboa@gmail.com
Co-Organizers (if applicable): Thomas Mboa

Session Description: In this unconference session we want to share the experience of the Global Open Science Hardware (GOSH) movement, a recent but ambitious and horizontal initiative that aims for all science hardware equipment to be open by 2025. Within that frame, we’re interested in discussing ideas regarding challenges, opportunities and what we mean by democratizing technology.

GOSH website-manifesto-more: http://openhardware.science/
GOSH forum: http://forum.openhardware.science

// Agenda

What is GOSH
The 2025 roadmap
Democratizing technology?
Challenges/Opportunities
What to do next?

// Notes
Attendees: 6

• GOSH presentation, the movement as something we’re building and discussing
  • Main uses and examples of open hardware
  • ¿How free can it be, when processors are being more and more propietary?
  • Doubts about free and commercializing opportunities
  • How collaboration is different from software, the need of meeting when building objects, the locally-driven process
  • Doubts about regulations of quality and safety in objects, challenge of building secure technology but also detecting that some regulation has clear commercial interests behind, situating standards
  • The the black box concept and the idea of open hw as opening that black box
  • How much time does it take to learn? ‘I’d buy open but not build it’
  • Advantages of building open hw: ‘If it breaks down you can fix it without much cost’
  • Are all open hw scientific instruments accurate? How we make them more precise?

// Next Steps and Milestones

Asked attendees to join the GOSH forum and start participating -

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing these @jarancio! Would you be happy to write a quick intro to accompany them and I’ll put it on the GOSH blog? Do you have photos from the session? Also @thomasmboa @Alexis_Johnson if you have any nice photos from OpenCon it would be great to share on the GOSH blog and Twitter.

I hope all of you had an amazing time at OpenCon!

2 Likes

Yes

@jcm80, @jarancio voice is for all of us. She was our Gosh leader during this Opencon2017.

1 Like