Announcing the Global Open Science Hardware Roadmap

Hi everyone,

Happy 2018!

We are thrilled to announce the public release of the “Global Open Science Hardware Roadmap”, a collaborative document prepared by many hands and minds of the GOSH community! The Roadmap is the product of many brainstorming sessions, starting from community gatherings at CERN IdeaSquare and PUC-Chile in 2017. It materializes a year-long effort to debate, collect, and merge various forms of community input: from narratives of practical experience to ideas on how to better support hardware projects.

We took a long time to allow for direct contributions onto the text, passing through various versions which are also available for future use, modification, and redistribution. After (almost) a whole year of collective deliberation, we finally reached a rough consensus on the basic structure of the roadmap to include three chapters: learn, support, and grow.

As their titles suggest, we dedicate the whole report to the description of the challenges we face and propose practical action for supporting (community and academic-based) research and open hardware while actively helping to reach out for future contributors. Our roadmap is released with a promise: to combine our efforts to invent common solutions while drawing from and improving upon the practical recommendations for achieving our goal of making Open Science Hardware ubiquitous by the year of 2025.

Please read and download the report here: http://openhardware.science/global-open-science-hardware-roadmap/

Share with your networks and anyone you think might be interested, we are also on social media @GOSHcommunity and using #goshroadmap

A couple of requests:

• If you’d like to join a translating team for the roadmap or the roadmap press release– organized currently for Portuguese, Spanish and French-- or would like to translate into another language, please respond to this post so we can connect you.
  • If you have press contacts you’d like us to send this to, please let us know. You’re also welcome to send the press release on your own.
  • Please share on social media. Here’s suggested Tweets:

Making #openhardware in science ubiquitous by 2025: read the @GOSHCommunity Roadmap to find out how! #GOSHRoadmap #openscience http://openhardware.science/global-open-science-hardware-roadmap/

.@GOSHCommunity supports the pursuit and growth of knowledge through global access to hardware for science. Read the Global Open Science Hardware Roadmap to find out why and how #GOSHRoadmap #openscience http://openhardware.science/global-open-science-hardware-roadmap/

GOSH Roadmap Writing Group

1 Like

+1 here for translating into Spanish :slight_smile:

Congrats everyone!!!

2 Likes

@jarancio will you translate the roadmap press release? I was thinking of doing the same. Please let me know if you need help, or we can translate it together.

@shannond I have press contacts in Peru, and they will be interested in sharing.

Best,

P.P.

Yay! Really great to hear!

Hola Pierre! I think it’s already been translated - But we’re planning the roadmap translation so there’s a lot to do :D…

1 Like