#4 Minutes from meeting 14 September 2020

Participants: Marina, Jenny, Gunner and Li

Marina did some comment about privilege forum active people, something like: I really don’t think this should mean anything because the gosh community is made of people who are doing stuff for osh, not just for gosh. Who is active on the forum is making stuff for a community that is much more brother than de forum. i believe is better to give some protagonist to people directly involved on a decision and it consequences than to the people that are acting on the forum, independently if those things are related to the decision in question.

About the limits of the community, we have talked about how signing the manifesto is one of the possible parameters that can be used to defined whether some one is part or not of GOSH. Also, if someone was blocked for breaking the code of conduct is reasonable to not consider it part of the community (even if this person has signed the manifesto).

Questioning “what will we be deciding about?”, Jenny propose that we organize the document differently, that why we should pe passing the content of the document to a spread sheet linked on the beginning of the doc.

Gunner give us some ideas about good governance models on the open source community (Debian and Mozilla), summarized here adding some of my thoughts:

• Not everybody should decide, talk, about everything, since this could lead to a very aggressive mailing list style of conversation, leading to no consensus. The suggestion is that decisions be made by working groups, as this one for example, and that people can opine on the creating and goals of the working group, or electing the “leaders”, etc.

• Others could still be heard, but there are a small group responsible for the decision, action, resource.

• The wg should be as small as possible, but not smaller. Maybe it will be needed 50 people on a wg, but still smaller than 1000.

• Than it should have mechanisms to create, regulate, remove and populated the wg.

• Also, it can be mechanisms to appeal against wg decisions.

• Decide the negotiable and the non-negotiable features of the wg (how do they operate). Example of non-negotiable: accountability, transparency, using specific open source tools, using the forum, posting minutes, number of meetings, etc. Example of negotiable: using specific open source tools, number of meetings, decision making methodologies, etc.

• What we are doing on the spread sheet is defining the minimal set of wg needed.

• How people can enter or leave the wg? Try not to make so difficult to enter that people won’t be able to do it. Exemple: write a long letter of intention, etc.

• Good governance understand people are busy.

Next meeting: 21/9/20 same time

1 Like

Sorry, I have a meeting programmed for this time this new semester. Its a 2-univ team and this is the time most people could make it. Not sure if I am the only one with an incompatibility but maybe we would check meetings schedules again for the new semester?

Thanks and sorry about the inconveniences.

1 Like

Thanks Marina for the note-taking!

Here are the governance domains from the original doc copied into a spreadsheet form:

Actions for everyone:

• Review and add additional suggestions of resources/governance decisions
  • Suggest working groups that could coordinate governance processes
  • For each working group, we have added fields to think about how they would operate and how they would be populated.

This felt like the natural next step after making all of the lists, if anyone thinks another step is needed then we can dial back.

Is anyone else in the same boat as JP? Would it help to doodle again and also set up auto-reminders for these meetings?

1 Like

Here is a Dudle, answer it for 0 UTC time.

Ignore the dates, mark the time you have available for a weekly meeting for GWG.

Thanks Jenny for the actions.