3D Scanner Design for Live Animals - Version 2 Development

Hello friends!

We need your help designing a second version of our 3D scanner.

We are a small wildlife conservation nonprofit who, in partnership with Sony, have developed the world’s first portable 3D scanner for live animals. You can read a bit about it here:

Currently the system is technically difficult to use and cost prohibitive for conservationists. We have ideas for design revisions that we would reduce costs and allow anyone in the world to print the designs in their home country to make it accessible.

We won’t be making any money on this, as we plan to distribute the system at cost to other conservationists, and we have a limited budget so we are looking for someone who can cheaply take our simple drawings and create 3D-printable designs. Would any of you be up to such a task?

Any help is appreciated!

-Scott Trageser

2 Likes

This is cool and totally up my alley – happy to chat, email me directly and we can set up a time to talk.

–a

2 Likes

Thanks Alex! Sent you a message via your Wild Lives website

2 Likes

awesome! thanks for sharing this!

1 Like

I have a background in ecology/conservation field research and just read the post you linked to, this looks AMAZING, thank you for sharing this here @BiodiversityGroup!! Is this system fully open source, hardware and software?

I know the Sony RX0 II itself is likely closed source, but if the rest of your system is fully open source, then other scientists/engineers can probably adapt it so that we can swap out the Sony RX0 IIs with other cameras. For example, I’m thinking if I can live with lower resolutions, etc., then maybe I can use a cheaper set of cameras than the fancy Sony ones? And a fully open source system would also reduce vendor lock-in.

Happy to chat more about this if you’re interested in open source best practices.

Hey this is awesome! I’m a product designer by day, also open to help out with any 3D modeling / printing designs.

1 Like

Hi yes we’re with you on this! In this next version we are trying to get away from being locked into expensive Sony cameras so it is more accessible. I believe we can, I just need someone to help finalize the designs

1 Like

That would be great! Please message us at info [at] biodiversitygroup.org and we can discuss further :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It’s likely the temporal resolution (high frame rates) and camera syncing that are difficult to get with other cameras, but there’s options!

1 Like