Workshops / Travel ideas (it's editable so put your stuff here!)

Ok - the ideas are flowing out (thanks Puneet :slight_smile: ) so it’s high time to start collaborating on a shared list of workshops and travel. We have 1 official day for travel and workshops (Saturday), and 2 ‘unofficial’ days for post-GOSH activities (Sunday and Monday). The rest of the conference has lots of slots for discussions and workshops too (full schedule here), but those can get laid out when we arrive, so no worries there.

So… I’m going to start but Please edit this with all your ideas and plans! How do you edit? Hit the little tiny green edit button at the top left of this post. Looks like this:

Activity board

Saturday

9:30 - 12:30

Field trip to the PUC robotics lab @punkish

Description: The Comunidad de Robótica UChile, the robotics group at the Faculty of Engineering at the Univ of Chile, has a mission to be a platform that enables collaboration betwen the different robotics group from the University of Chile. The group is made up of the departments of Computer Science, Mechanical Engineering and Electrical Engineering. Among other things, they are implementing an adaptation of MIT’s Duckie Town. See this short and fun video.

note: I don’t know if they are open and if people are available to meet on the weekend. I will find out, but as a courtesy, I also want to invite them to our GOSH workshop (my contact there is very keen on attending GOSH and meeting everyone). So I need to know from the GOSH organizers if I can extend an invitation to at least two people (the robotics lab person and my friend from the Biblio del Congreso) and then I can find out about field trip options—punkish

Interested in attending - Greg, Ellen, @kaspar, @gpereyrairujo, xiamyra

1:30 - 4:30

DocuBricks Workshop @Tobey - Tobias Wenzel

Description: Hands on workshop to finally finish a documentation of your project that has been nagging you for a long time :slight_smile: We will create modular documentations of your project, using the DocuBricks software, in a way that communicates the design rationale and the working principles of your hardware. This insures that others can really build on your design. I will advise and help on the software usage, structure, media usage as well as testing and calibration aspects of projects. Does anyone need a photo-booth for the event?

Interested in attending: @nanocastro @kina.smith, xiamyra

Fix-It-Together Session @el.fostek

Description: This workshop will facilitate the sharing of knowledge, skills, and thoughts in regards to the maintenance and fixing of hardware, electronics devices, appliances, etc. This is meant to be a collective effort where the group shares fixing experiences, trouble-shoots together, and goes through any immediate fixing needs. I will post the idea to the main messaging board to see if people are seriously interested or have ideas to contribute! We will need basic tools to go through fixing such as screw-driver sets, soldering irons, multi-meters, etc.
Interested in attending: @kaspar @kina.smith

Build an OpenFlexure Microscope @rbowman

The OpenFlexure microscope aims to be a research-quality microscope, complete with high quality translation stage. It is designed to be small, light, and easily customised - from a simple webcam-based microscope to a design using commercial microscope objectives with epifluorescence imaging. During this workshop we’ll build some microscopes, some of which we’ll hopefully 3D print during the first few of days of the conference. If you’d like to take one away with you, you can purchase a kit for £50 (which includes all printed and non-printed parts, including the Raspberry Pi camera module). If you’d like to build a high-resolution version with an objective lens, the extra optics will cost £35 (for one achromatic objective and a tube lens). If you’d like to bring your own parts that’s great - send me a message and I can help with sourcing. The project source files (including documentation for the assembly) are available from GitHub (in DocuBricks format) or on the WaterScope website. I’m hoping to have the next release ready in time for GOSH, so you’ll help me road-test the next version of the (much improved, faster, easier) assembly process. A few folk have mentioned they’re keen to play with one of these hands-on, so hopefully it will be a fun session. I should also have a motorised version with me to play with - if you’d like to build one send me a message.

If you want to print some parts to put together, there’s now instructions and STL files on GitHub - I’m still working on an updated DocuBricks archive.

interested in attending: @rbowman, Greg, @kina.smith, @kaspar, @nanocastro, @gpereyrairujo, xiamyra, @alenadra

Make your electronics project easily replicable @kaspar

Description: This tutorial will help you put your PCB design up on kitnic.it to make it easy for others (and yourself, when you come back to it years later) to see what the project is about, buy the parts and assemble it. Since this is early days for Kitnic the process is a little bit involved and requires learning the basics of Git and GitHub.

One of the hardest aspects of making your project replicable is putting together the bill of materials and I will show you how to make use of tools such LibreOffice in combination with 1-click BOM to help with that.

Interested in attending:

Sunday

ryanfobel and gbathree are interested in getting their devices to talk a common language. Ryan has some neat software for sending instructions to a device and receiving data back. Greg has some software for storing and analyzing that. If you’re interested in that sort of thing let us know, we could all do some hacking together.

Interested in attending: @kina.smith

Monday

Field trip to the UCH robotics lab

Description: The Comunidad de Robótica UChile, the robotics group at the Faculty of Engineering at the Univ of Chile, has a mission to be a platform that enables collaboration betwen the different robotics group from the University of Chile. The group is made up of the departments of Computer Science, Mechanical Engineering and Electrical Engineering. Among other things, they are implementing an adaptation of MIT’s Duckie Town. See this short and fun video: Duckietown: Where Self-Driving Cars Meet Rubber Duckies - YouTube.
We invite you to come visit our labs where you will find:

• Bender: a humanoid service robot designed for human-robot interaction at home-like environment. He can recognize and manipulate objects, navigate through dynamic environments avoiding obstacles in order to help with basic tasks at home.
  • Chilean Robotic Soccer Team: they got the 4th place last year (in 2015 and 2014 too) in the World Cup of their category.
  • PR2 Robot: a complex semi-humanoid service robot that runs fully over the Robot Operating System (ROS) which is the open source and community based effort for programming robots.
  • Live Robot Programming (http://pleiad.cl/lrp): a research programming language made to accelerate the development of complex robot behaviours. A live demo using a Turtlebot will be shown.

Host: @pestefo

Interested in attending: @kaspar

~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

1 Like

Hey @Tobey I would put that on Saturday - all the GOSH participants will be there on Saturday so you’ll get more attendance. I’d leave Sunday and Monday for smaller outings and more specific collaborations (not required, just suggesting!).

Saturday has 6 hours of workshop time, between 100 people that’s a lot of events so don’t worry too much about overlap.

1 Like

I am a bit confused: are we supposed to edit in the skill-shares that were accepted or is this apart from that?

This is apart from that. The skill shares is Friday. This is for saturday - monday.

Hi there,

I get an error when I want to edit the document to add my name to the workshops Im interested in, so I’ll do it this way.

Im interested in;
@punkish trip to PUC robotics lab on Sat
@Tobey DocuBricks workshop
@rbowman OpenFlexture Microscope

weird - sorry about that! can you try again? maybe I had an edit open and it didn’t like that?

nope… it says: " Sorry, you can only mention 10 users in a post. "

Got it - ok just don’t put @ in front of people’s names that’s all. Then you should be fine.