GOSH Shenzhen-- introduce yourself!

Hello Everyone.

My name is Harry Akligoh (@Hail_Harry) from Ghana. I work with Kumasi Hive and with Jenny Molloy, PhD as a researcher with the Open Bioeconomy Lab where we study challenges within the bioeconomy of low resource countries and use the open science approach to democratize how research is done locally. We do this by creating the capacity for local researchers to overcome the reagent distribution chain challenge (one of the numerous challenges) by equipping them with open protocols and resources for local enzyme manufacturing to improve access to reagents for biological research.

3 Likes

I am Kafilat Adedeji, I work as an independent research plant scientist in Nigeria. I teach simple, smart and sustainable organic farming technologies including mushrooms farming, 3D ponics, vertical farming (Geoponics), Aquaponics and bioponics, and plant pathology. I am @urbanorganicfarmtrainer on instagram. I am in my second year of my PhD and I am working on the development of the most effective management strategies combinations for vascular wilts of tomatoes. I am so excited to be joining Gosh this year as I look forward to connecting with like minds, sharing ideas, collaborating on some projects and expanding my network. Thanks

3 Likes

Good morning, everyone.
I am Justin Ahinon (Twitter: Justin Ahinon), a final year undergraduate student in statistics applied to economics.

I am particularly interested in how scientific/academic content is accessed in Africa and more specifically in French-speaking Africa.

Last June, I co-founded with @access2perspectives , AfricArxiv, a free preprint platform for African scientists.

I am also particularly involved in the development of digital literacy among children, especially girls. I am therefore working on Hack Her_, a digital discovery programme to facilitate the feminisation of the sector in my country, Benin.

I am also co-leader of the Keoubougou Pi project, a programme to facilitate digital skills acquisition among young school children using Raspberry Pi as their main working tools. (ah I forgot, I’m also a big fan of arduino, RPI and embedded computing).

I look forward to see you in Shenzhen and hope I’ll meet some interesting people.

You can reach me on WeChat (JustinyAhin); I would be happy to have a chat.

2 Likes

Hi everyone!

My name is Besar Zasella (WeChat: besarzasella). I am currently interning at SZOIL and I am also part of the GOSH 2018 Committee. I am currently living in Shenzhen, so feel free to ask me any questions via WeChat or the Forum. I have a deep interest in open-source, and for my personal research, I am exploring the ways in which Shenzhen’s unique ecosystem facilitates both innovation and collaboration in hardware and IoT, in both local and international circles, and how this potentially fits into the wider narrative of the Belt and Road Initiative.

As for my background, it may be very different to many of you! I graduated in 2017 in History, and spent one year in the financial sector in London and Jersey (UK), before realising my interests did not lie there. I would say my skills are more social and lie in disciplines like research and organisation, but I think that is what makes this gathering so special, as it combines so many differences in skill sets, disciplines and life experiences under a set of common values that we all hold dear.

I think our vision of open hardware is both a noble one and an acheivable one. Just yesterday, I saw a Shenzhen summer school with loads of young adults both from China and abroad creating the most amazing things with basic hardware for the benefit of science and humanity. It is the youth of today that will benefit the most from an open hardware world, who would have the freedom to realise their visions that would consequently benefit the humans of tomorrow. This is my hope for open hardware and I believe the spirit of open source in general; I know I am in the company of people who hold the same values of diversity, collaboration and openness.

I am available pretty much all the time on WeChat or on the Forum, so give me a shout :slight_smile:

Peace, love and blessings,
Besar

3 Likes

I am Andriy Herts from Ukraine. I am a teacher in the Ternopil Volodymyr Hnatiuk national pedagogical university (TNPU) and researcher (PhD plant physiology) at the Laboratory of ecology and biotechnology of TNPU (Ukraine).

We are exploring (at the laboratory of ecology and biotechnology of TNPU) the influence of light-related parameters on the development, growth, productivity, and biochemical composition of plants in order to understand the influence of artificial lights (LED lights, for example) and ultimately improve growth strategies based on that knowledge.
Also, we have started the investigation of photosynthesis of plants growing in-vitro to compare with in-vivo, ex-vitro, in-situ (Thank you @gbathree for the PhotosynQ project and MultispeQ device crated). It’s closed systems and we try to do it through imaging (determination of NDVI, for example, publiclab’s infragram).

I have a dream. The use of the hyperspectral analysis for studying the plants in-vitro (in-vivo at all.) and for detection of functional heterogeneity photosynthetic apparatus of plants by the method of registration of spectrum of light reflection. It maybe will be efficient for the estimate of quality callus formation (qualitative analysis) from the root and stem explants, tissue culture at all. It very expensive technology for our laboratory but we trust that the Open Science Hardware community always found the alternative low-cost technology way.

How the member of NGO started the project “Ternopil Citizen Eco-Monitoring” with the involvement of people of my town to the realization idea about clear air.
Our simple prototype based on “Teensy” or “NodeMCU” with some sensors.

Best regards, Andriy

2 Likes

Hey everyone, great to be acquainted with you all! I’m Felipe Fonseca, from Ubatuba, in Brazil. I’ve been working with open source culture for more than 15 years in many projects. Recently I was part of the team of Ubatuba Open Science, part of the OCSDNet. I’m currently community manager of the Subutai Platform and one of the coordinators of inc.ubalab (collaborative incubator of socio-ecological innovation) and ninho (a co-working space and center of science and culture in Ubatuba). Looking forward to GOSH!

1 Like

Wellcome to the forum!

:wink:

Hello, All! I am a biologist and (relatively) newbie** biohacker. I love open science and want to encourage citizen science, especially in the context of avoidable risks to our ‘genomic integrity’ (a dynamic ‘big picture’ concept meant to include all the molecular genetic details of cells, for public health). I have been working to ‘open source’ classic DNA damage detection methods (the comet cell assay and the micronuclei assay), so anyone can look in their own cheek cells for signs of DNA damage. As founder of AGiR! (Action for Genomic integrity through Research!) and president of the association Hackuarium I am very lucky to have transdisciplinary teams inspiring me to do more… For instance, I love exploring moss and lichen life; and we have also done some local water monitoring, and are just starting an urban garden project, with pea plant rhizobial symbiotes.
**My first experience soldering was in the context of making a DIY Fluor detector, for biosensor bacteria assays, but now a ‘TVBGone’ (from Mitch Altman) and a trans-illuminator (from Gaudi labs’ Urs!) also ‘under my belt’… I want to do more with arduino, but did not have an easy time with their ArduCam. I also have played with both the old school version of the Foldscope and their new luxury one, in addition to many other diy microscopes.

3 Likes

ei love! good to see you here. are you going to Shenzhen?

“we are everywhere”, but not this time!

Hi! My name is Ananda Gabo! I’m a designer with a non-technical background (industrial design, food activism and community kitchens), but have been reading about DIY open source tech culture long enough that now I would like to look for opportunities to co-design with farmers, engineers and scientists for agriculture.

I was working at a domestic robotics factory in Suzhou two years ago with the CMF (color materials and finishes team), EE, and mechatronics teams (as purely as a non technical designer) with a focus on optimizing designs for production (so I organized factory tours for interns and conducted robot teardowns!). I also have spent a lot of time in Shenzhen in 2015 + 2016 with various manufacturing tours for electronics manufacturing and injection moulding but would really like to be around those in the context of open source science hardware!!!

I also spent the summer foraging in Finland, and helping out on my friends farm in Japan (they focused on open source ag hardware). And am currently couch surfing in NYC while working out of a community bio lab to learn more about engineering plants, and reaching out to farmers for tool design opportunities.

I’m very much new to contributing to any open source movement, but I’m hoping this will bring a lot of research and insight into producing something within the next year.

I’m really good at soldering, can use eagle, but can’t design a circuit to save my life (hoping to build up confidence and change that this year). I guess I also have experience for designing for manufacturing, but I haven’t exercised that muscle in a few years since I have been working in professional kitchens, and helping out on farms.

4 Likes

Hello everyone ! I’m Jean Pierre Tincopa, I’m an electronic engineer from Perú and I’m currently studying a master’s degree in biomedical informatics, I’ve been using and promoting open source software and hardware since I was an undergrad student. This year I was in Chile at TECNOx presenting open source centrifuges using 3D printing and recycled electronic components.I’m thinking in bringing along with me a couple of my designs to GOSH. The designs are part of a project aimed to having a complete set of basic OSH lab equipment. This project (developed alongside @DulceYaquetto) is new and I believe it will be nourished from my experience at GOSH this October.If you want to take a look at my designs, here is my thingiverse: https://www.thingiverse.com/JpTincopa/designs

Best Regards!

1 Like

你好!My name is Francois Grey and I’m based at University of Geneva. I also hang out a lot in Beijing and Shenzhen with the Geneva Tsinghua Initiative that we launched in 2016, together with Tsinghua University. The GTI is all about challenge-based learning for the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), which often leads students to open source hardware solutions. I was around when GOSH got started, just two short years ago at CERN IdeaSquare. I missed Santiago, so I’m excited to see how the community has grown and what people are working on these days, and keen to help the Roadmap evolve. A bientôt!

3 Likes

Hello, everybody! I’m Jeff Warren, coming from Providence, Rhode Island, in the US.

I work with Public Lab, along with Shannon (hi!) and I am particularly involved in our Kits initiative (https://publiclab.org/kits), where we help people with project ideas to launch affordable Do-It-Yourself kits to build a community around their open hardware projects.

So I’m happy to share what we know about sourcing parts, designing documentation, hosting and facilitating community around a project and it’s goals and challenges.

We’ve been helping lots of folks to launch projects measuring environmental problems that affect people, and I’m especially interested to offer support and also a platform (at PublicLab.org) for you to get the word out about your work, and to form alliances with other projects that have similar aims.

Looking forward to meeting you all!

J

3 Likes

Hi everyone, my name is Chinna.

I love GOSH and I am really happy to meet you all virtually through this forum. I am not coming to Shenzhen this year due to my professional commitments. I was in China last year for a collaboration work and I am so happy to meet many people there.

I am currently working as a Marie Curie Research Fellow at CIT/Tyndall, Cork, Ireland. I am originally from India. My day time job involves designing, fabricating and characterization of Photonic Integrated Circuits. In my spare time, I work with Arduinos and Raspberry Pi. Some of my projects can be found here https://scientistnobee.wordpress.com/

I am particularly interested in Spectromters, microscopes and Opendrop project. I hope I can contribute to GOSH in anyway possible in the near future.

2 Likes

Hi All -
I am an engineer working for Conservation X Labs (from Rotorua, New Zealand), focusing on developing technology for conservation purposes. The projects I currently work on range from a genetic diagnostic tool for identifying species, a physiological tag for marine animals and an autonomous boat platform.
I will be in Shenzhen in October, and excited to see what everyone is doing!
In the mean time - if any of you are interested in discussing how you could utilize your skills to help save animals and ecosystems - shoot me a message!!
Cheers,
Sam

1 Like

Will be great to meet you @Rachel

Hi all, I’m Greg. I have been involved in open technology since the mid 2000’s developing processes and equipment for small scale biodiesel manufacturing. Then cofounded PhotosynQ and build equipment for measuring photosynthesis in the field and a platform for sharing / analyzing the data. I loved the work, but found the limitation on photosynthesis (and university setting) frustrating. So, I cofounded Our Sci with Manuel and Dan. Our focus is to support communities who want answer their own hard questions that require scientific rigor through software (for collaboration, knowledge sharing, and analysis of data), hardware (to improve the comparability and quality of data collected), and training (to help everyone effectively contribute to the scientific process). Currently, we work with communities interested in soil health and food quality. We run a food and soil testing lab, and make handheld reflectance spectrometers which are currently in the beta phase of manufacturing (100s not 1000s).

Looking forward to better understanding what open science hardware means to people in Shenzhen, China, and Asia as a whole (I’m sure there will be more than one answer… want to hear them all) :slight_smile: And about how we can all achieve our goal of making ALL science hardware OPEN science hardware.

4 Likes

I am Juanma Garcia, Spanish, bioengineer and teacher, and currently PhD student in Biophysics in the CRI (center for research and interdisciplinarity of Paris) and the Institut Curie (Paris). My research is focused in microfluidics and microscopy. I am studying how cancer cells move and deform.

Apart from this main job, I am coordinating an open science group in Paris called Open Science School. There, we have done a few open hardware projects - among them maybe the most successful an open hardware spectrophotometer, for which I am looking now for partner to help me produce it and use it.

Mainly I have done lot of teaching materials, courses, and activities for high schools and university students in a lot of different subjects related to life sciences. Ping me if you are interested in citizen science, open science, alternative ways of doing research, or in teaching, and let me know if you think I can help you out with something or the other way around :slight_smile:

Juanma

3 Likes

Hi all!

My name is Andre, and I’m currently based in Brighton, UK. I’ve been trying to make (together with many other cool people) Open Source tools the norm in Academia. More specifically, I would like to see OS Hardware become the common place inside universities, as I believe this can have an incredible impact in societies around the globe.

In practical terms this means that I’ve been developing OS tools for lab use and organizing workshops in collaboration with Trend in Africa, where we try to exchange with researchers/graduate students the benefits of building their own tools in an open setting (on the last event all projects went live on GitHub) (side note: Really happy to see that some of the participants of the workshops are active in the GOSH community and that we will get to meet again in China!)

Recently I was lucky enough to be selected for the Mozilla Science Fellowship to work on a project around Open Source Hardware! In it, I will gather information about the needs of academic researchers, curious people, DIYers, in terms of Scientific equipment and try to engage people to build OS Instruments to fulfill those needs.

I’m arriving a couple of days earlier in Shenzhen and planning to hack the FlyPi (a microscope/multi lab tool) together with @vektor! Maybe @scientist this is interesting for you too?

I’m looking forward to meet all in person!
Andre

4 Likes