Best examples of open hardware for environmental monitoring?

Hi everyone! @shannond and I, and others, are working on a policy brief on the potential for open science hardware to contribute to environmental monitoring. We want to make sure we’ve gathered all the best examples of open science hardware for environmental monitoring, so we’re looking for examples that you know of for tools that have a strong user base and produce high quality data, or the potential to do so. We’d also appreciate examples from related fields that could also help make the case for why open hardware should be a bigger part of environmental monitoring and contribute to decision-making around environmental pollution. Thanks for any ideas!

4 Likes

Hi @shannond & @alisonjparker once gathered, where will you be sharing the policy brief?

re OSH & strong user base:

re OSS:

4 Likes

@alisonjparker @shannond Hello, Alison and Shannon! This is Ye Seong, the Sustainability and CSR Manager from Seeed Studio. I can recommend the perfect AIoT hardware kit for environmental monitoring - which you’re looking for: SenseCAP K1100 - The Sensor Prototype Kit with LoRa® and AI. Using this Kit, I organized an open tech innovation competition last year, which is called ‘IoT2Wild Contest’ for sustainability. Feel free to check the Contest out to see so many interesting environmental monitoring projects and their FREE recipes! :wink: Btw, if you’re also looking at scaling up your project prototype for the environmental monitoring, check out industrial-grand AIoT sensors and devices: SenseCAP product line. On the other hand, just out of my curiosity: are you planning to produce any research papers or reports regarding the environmental monitoring project that you’re planning to implement? If so, is the topic directly related to the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)? If yes, can you share more details about what you’re planning via sending me an email to ruixing.xin(at)seeed.cc for possible collabs or product sponsorship? :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hi Yeseong!
Am an Electronics engineer with focus on IoT systems I am very much interested in your IoT product. Kindly reach me out on my Mail with some of the IoT kits you have available and let me have a look!

2 Likes

Plugging AudioMoth for acoustic monitoring and SnapperGPS for wildlife tracking if they’re not already on your list.
SnapperGPS doesn’t have a big user base yet, since the chip shortage has made it really hard to build them. But check out our hardware paper that was published just two weeks ago for details.

4 Likes

Hello,
Our Rodeostat open hardware potentiostat is used for monitoring arsenic contamination. It has been published here: Low-cost electrochemical detection of arsenic in the groundwater of Guanajuato state, central Mexico using an open-source potentiostat. Thanks!

3 Likes

Hello @alisonjparker Alison, @shannond !

Our little associatoin, the Climate Change Lab, has won the first “call to commons” here in France, with a project i sat up in partnership with french and french speaking african fablab networks.
The idea is to push the PITO-DIDO (Product In Trash Out/Data In Data Out) paradigm to any solution that can help to face climate change effects, by transfering all the processes around open hardware solutions (any, lowtech also, not techno-focussed), with an experimental process.

We launched 3 waves of 10 granted workshops in about 10 countries, beginning with fablabs, then to cooperate with any organization that agrees to:

• Offer workshop to the people concerned
  • Document the way the people are trained (didactical conduct)
  • Document the objects or services in the common good of humanity through “compatible licences” and a experimental “contract of commons”.

All these solutions and the workshops can be played by any territory, company, academic school, civic society actor, or republished through opendata, pdf, widgets.

Everything is indexed in th SDG’s. More than 330 page of didactical documentation has been pushed since July (i teach how to document to all the workshops organizers) and more pages for objects documentation.

If you look at the actual portfolio you will discover that open hardware is often very frugal, lowtech, and of course environmental friendly (we want to teach to the people how to relocalize atoms, and train neurons to cooperate around these “operational commons”). We do have many example of useful open hardware and lowtech solutions now.

Countries : Senegal, Benin, Côte d’Ivoire, Niger, Burkina, Tchad, Guinée, Tunisie, Cameroun, RDC (Congo), France.

Portfolio here : Forge CC : Documentation pédagogique All the best.

5 Likes

Since @shannond is working on this I guess the classic Public Lab and Safecast examples are already on your radar.

On top of the other excellent examples here, I suggest Fieldkit and @shicks’s EnviroDIY data logger.

Also, I’d like to highlight @TheCavePearlProject’s Cave Pearl Project developing an underwater data logger. To me, it is remarkable for it’s extensive documentation on the process of developing such a platform with text/images/videos, such as in this extensive thread or on their website. I was super impressed by the updates they’ve given on the project here in the GOSH forum since 2018!

3 Likes

Thanks, everyone!

@ProofingFuture.EU when the brief is complete it will be on the Wilson Ctr website, and we’ll share a link to it on the GOSH forum.

2 Likes