Open science hardware assembly at 35C3

I registered an open science hardware assembly for the upcoming Chaos Communication Congress. This should mean we will have a table to meet and discuss and hopefully show off some hardware (if you are coming, please bring some!)

https://signup.c3assemblies.de/assembly/2834899a-58c9-49ca-aa1b-04ca772a4216

2 Likes

If anyone wants to send me something to showcase at the assembly. Let me know. There will be over 15,000 geeks at the congress so it’s a good opportunity to advertise. :grin:

Hi kaspar, this is Erik from the FSFE and I kind of organise the cluster about:freedom at 35C3, see here: https://signup.c3assemblies.de/assembly/f7cf07f2-aabd-45d4-807e-b354088b7887

We are a big fan of open science and so I think the open science hardware assembly might make a good fit for our cluster. Especially if you also do some advocacy towards open science / hardware?

If you feel we have things in common, I wanted to invite you to be part of our cluster. That would mean, however, you would be the only hardware-related assembly in it. Not sure if this in your interest. In any case, please let me know by writing me an email: https://fsfe.org/about/albers/albers.en.html

I only registered here to leave this message and will most probably not recognise any answer in here.

Picked up Open Flexure Microscope demos from @rbowman and printed some signs in the Bristol Hackspace.

(SVG)

2 Likes

This looks great @kaspar! I hope you have a great response from the 35C3 attendees and thanks for representing the GOSH Community :slightly_smiling_face: :raised_hands:

@kaspar see you at 35c3 I’ll be hanging out with the Chaos West / GiG LabMobile. Come by the big blue truck or png me if I can help in any way?

2 Likes

who else is coming? Too many GOSHers told me they’d go this year so I had to signup and make use of my CCC membership :slight_smile:
with @kaspar @bengtsjolen @moritz_lablab nd a few others we have a Signal group chat going to synchronise for the congress

Hi, FOSSASIA as well a number of Open Hardware projects are part of the Critical Decentralisation Cluster. We would love to connect with you and join up. We will be holding a number of workshops about Pocket Science Lab as well.

Since the CCCamp is coming up (Call for participation/sunbathing: CCCamp 2019 - August 21-25 (north of Berlin)) I remembered that we wanted to share pictures and a short summary on our open science hardware assembly at 35C3:
The assembly was run by @kaspar, Mishkat, @moritz_lablab and myself. @saadcaffeine and @sam were also at the congress with their own groups.
@kaspar had printed large posters and banners which made our desk quite attractive. Most of the neighbouring desks didn’t have much to share so ours turned into a little hot spot. A lot of people which randomly passed by actually stayed and wanted to know more about the OpenFlexure and FlyPi microscopes, the neuron simulator, my radioactivity detectors (we had all 4 projects on display and in use) and why the hell we are doing this and care about open science hardware.
Personally, I remember a stimulating discussion with a scientist heading a research group on quantum dots (his PhD student told him to go to the CCC congress :-). Another visitor had the necessary medical tools in his pocket to draw a little blood sample which allowed us to watch blood cells via our microscopes.
All in all it was a pretty successful way to do outreach, have fun & catch up with GOSHers and learn a lot of unexpected new stuff (I bought my first FPGA board at the openFPGA assembly despite being a die-hard embedded multi-core advocate for years ;).

(translation: Knowledge is power, open knowledge is empowerment)
People which are recognisable in the pictures have been ask for permission.

3 Likes