Welcome GOSHers!

Hello GOSHers!

This forum was created for engaging the GOSH community for now on. I will introduce myself to get the forum started and invite you all to do the same.

Knowledge freedom is one thing that makes me move. I am an advocate for Free Software, Free and Open Source Hardware, Open Science, Open Educational Resources. In this sense I helped to convene the Center for Academic Technology (CTA/UFRGS), in Porto Alegre, Brazil, where we are engaged in Free and Open Hardware for Science and Education, Citizen Science and so on. Check out the Hyperobject Workbench that we have been working on or our featured project list (Portuguese only). Also, I am a physicist, professor at the Physics Institute at UFRGS and getting started on high energy Physics within the ALICE Collaboration at CERN.

I have been on GOSH 2016 and plan to be in GOSH 2017 in Santiago next March. Looking forward to meet new people there and see friends from last year as well.

Cheers,
Rafael

2 Likes

Thanks for getting the new forum up and running Rafael!

I’m Shannon Dosemagen, one of the co-organizers for GOSH. I live in the U.S. in New Orleans and NY where my main role is with Public Lab (publiclab.org) as executive director.

Looking forward to meeting those of you who will be in Santiago! Shannon

1 Like

I’m Ryan Fobel, a post-doctoral researcher at the University of Toronto in Canada. During my PhD studies, I developed DropBot, a benchtop lab robot for miniaturizing and automating biology and chemistry experiments. We’ve been using DropBots to do all kinds of cool stuff in the lab (I recently spent a month in a Kenyan refugee camp testing for measles and rubella) and have also been actively engaging with other open-hardware hackers working on similar projects (e.g., GaudiLabs’ OpenDrop: now with frogger!).

I recently co-founded a company Sci-Bots Inc. to try and get this technology into the hands of more people; so now I find myself trying to figure out how to build a successful startup around open-hardware/software. I was at GOSH 2016 and look forward to catching up with old friends and meeting new ones in Santiago!

2 Likes

Hello everybody,

I am Kshitiz Khanal, a researcher at Kathmandu Living Labs and the Open Science guy at Open Knowledge Nepal.

I am interested in the open diffusion of science into the society. I am currently involved in building machines, designing an open education practice / experiment on aerodynamics, and a community education project in Nepal.

Looking forward to meeting you guys in person. And discussing ideas and experiences.

1 Like

Hello! I’m Richard Bowman, an optical physicist at the University of Bath with a particular interest in microscopy.

I’m very interested in how we can use 3D printing to make accurate, stable translation stages - for example to focus and move around in a microscope (like the OpenFlexure Microscope). Since lots of instruments need accurate positioning stages, I’m hoping to meet new folk who I can share designs with.

See you in Santiago!

2 Likes

Hello everyone. I am Gayatri Buragohain from India. I am the founder and Executive Director of a non-profit called Feminist Approach to Technology (FAT)! Yes! We love the name! :smiley:

I work to promote women and girls’ participation in Science and Technology in India. Mainly focus on making STEM education accessible and interesting for girls from marginalised communities.

Look forward to seeing all of you in Santiago next month!

5 Likes

Hi all, my name is Ihab Riad. I am an assistant prof. at the Physics Dept. University of Khartoum, Sudan. I am interested in building laboratory equipment and setups for undergraduate physics students. I became interested in open hardware and software instruments, due to the shortage of funding I am facing in upgrading my laboratory equipment.

My objectives are to have as many as possible open labware instruments that I can make available for others to use.

See you all in Santiago.

Ihab

1 Like

Hello! I am Gustavo Pereyra Irujo, a plant physiologist from Argentina working at the national agricultural research institute. My main interest is to promote the use of sensors and platforms for high throughput measurement of plant and crop traits in research and breeding. I am mostly a user and a big fan of open source hardware and software, and I believe they are the key to a widespread adoption of technology, especially in developing countries. I also build some small devices using arduino boards, although I am no expert in electronics! I look forward to meeting you in Chile, and learn a lot about open hardware!

3 Likes

Hello,

My name is Ake (Yuenyong Nilsiam), from Thailand, a PhD candidate in computer engineering at Michigan Technological University (Michigan Tech). also a member of Michigan Tech’s Open Sustainability Technology Lab (MOST) run by Dr. Joshua M. Pearce. I am working on metal 3D printing project and focusing on an open source slicer software and optimization of steel 3D printing. The slicer is a software that slices a 3D model into 2D layers and generates printing paths as GCode. Our group also created a low-cost open source metal 3D printer. We also created a web site for searching inactive patents of the U.S. which are in public domain.

I am looking forward to learn and to share with all of you in Chile.

See you,

Ake

3 Likes

Hi everyone!

I’m André M Chagas, retina researcher by day and full time open source advocate. I’m involved in a couple of projects related to open science and open hardware in general:

I run a website: open neuroscience, where I gather interesting open source projects related to neurosciences. I’m always looking for collaborators to curate the site and/or branch out to other knowledge areas!

I collaborate with an NGO called Trend in Africa (trendinafrica.org), where we try to help development in the continent by through several projects. The one I’m most involved with are workshops on Basic electronics and 3D printing to empower researchers to build their own lab equipment and/or hack existing ones. We currently have an open call for participation, as already promoted on GOSH’s website: http://openhardware.science/2017/01/04/applications-open-for-trend-open-labware-workshop-in-nigeria/ @ifriad is a collaborator at this one too!

I curate (together with other people) the Plos collection on open source hardware. Right now the collection is very top-bottom, and not very interactive. This will change soon as it will be transformed into a channel, which means people will be able to make comments/suggestions/editions to the content, hopefully this will be up and running before GOSH.

Last but not least, again together with Trend, we developed a microscope based on a Raspberry Pi and Arduino. It can be used for microscopy and behavioural experiments with small invertebrates.
We like to call it Flypi

From GOSH I hope to learn as much as possible from all participants and to find connections/collaborators to start some DIY/maker activities in South/Latin America.

Sorry for the very long introduction!

3 Likes

Hi,

I am Tobias Wenzel, called Tobey, a bioengineer at the University of Cambridge. I also attended the first GOSH (last year) and am looking forward to the event in Chile, which will become my new home country in the next years!

Together with Luis-Felipe, I’m the editor-in-chief of the Journal of Open Hardware which is created by a large group of members of the GOSH movement. The journal will launch during this year’s GOSH where you will fins out how to appropriately publish your hardware projects, but also full papers and reviews on a broad spectrum of issues related to open science hardware such as legal, economic, anthropological, design, etc.

I am also the founder of the free open hardware documentation software and repository DocuBricks: http://www.docubricks.com/. Click on the search button to find some examples of low-effort high-quality documentations of some complex projects, or download the documentation software to document your own projects modularly and with ease, r simply brows our best practise advise. I know of a number of exciting projects in the pipeline to appear on the platform, some of them perhaps in time for GOSH '17.

I also build a lot of hardware myself for my research on quantitative biological data, organism-technology interfaces, or general instruments like this parametric laser-cut gel-electrophoreses system: http://docubricks.com/viewer.jsp?id=9083595416604788736. I curious what most of you will bring along.

2 Likes

Hello! My name is Kaspar and I am an electronic engineer and software developer. Very excited about seeing you all in Chile next month.

I am passionate about open source software and hardware most of what I work on ends up on my GitHub profile.

At GOSH I hope to tell people about my site for making electronics projects easier to replicate. The idea is to allow others to easily buy parts and re-build projects as if they had purchased a kit but without you actually having to bag components and sell it: kitnic.it. I just gave a short talk about this at FOSDEM and the video recording is already available.

I am not really a scientist so I look forward to finding out more about the needs of scientific researchers and the scientific community and see what everyone is working on!

2 Likes

Hello, everyone!

I’m Pierre Padilla, a researcher and Master candidate in Biomedical Informatics in Global Health at Universidad Peruana Cayetano Heredia (UPCH). I support networks as Peru Coordinator in SyntechBio and Open Biomedical Initiative.

I’m also the Founder and Director of Biomakers Lab, a Peruvian biohackerspace where we promote and develop biology in a more accessible way for scientists, biohackers, amateurs or anyone which might be interested in this field. Our last project was a Manual called The Essential Biohacker’s Guide with SyntechBio. We grouped basic information about how to build a complete Biohacking/DIY-Bio Space. The Manual can be found in Spanish, English, and Portuguese. We published a beautifully designed version and a light version. You can download any of them. We hope to launch a second version with more resources and a handling system for the links, allowing to keep them updates.

It’s my first time at GOSH. I have the same motivation than @amchagas to learn as much as possible and to find connections/collaborators to start some DIY/maker activities in South/Latin America.

3 Likes

Hello. My name is Kina Smith. I live in Fairbanks, Alaska in the United States. I’m hesitant to call myself an engineer or a programmer because I don’t really have a degree in any of that stuff, but it is kind of what I am doing these days. I graduated from the Interactive Telecommunications Program at NYU last year and am currently working with a group of scientists here in Fairbanks that are researching how the boreal forest uses water and what we might expect from the rapidly changing climate in the arctic.

For this project, I’ve been building wireless sensor networks that measure sap flow, water content, and tree circumference. I’m also kind of secretly (not really) trying to make something that is better and cheaper than the crazy expensive datalogger hardware that is available for scientists. I don’t really understand how most of the hardware used in science is proprietary, closed source, and seems like it was designed 40 years ago. (who still uses a computer with a parallel port?!)
But…I’m not going to dive into technical stuff here.
I’m on PublicLab, I’m on Instructables, I’m on Github. I really like talking about this stuff and am super excited, and pretty intimidated to be part of this group and gathering.

I’m also super excited about sensors, dataloggers, food and food waste, fermentation, and contra dancing.

3 Likes

Hello Everyone!

I’m Andrew Thaler, an independent researcher in Maryland, USA. I’m a deep-sea ecologist that ended up working in marine robotics by accident. I’m a science advisor for OpenROV and run my own consulting firm: Blackbeard Biologic. My current passion is teaching high school students how to build and use underwater robots to explore their local waterways.

I’m the co-founder of Oceanography for Everyone, where we design and build low-cost open-source oceanographic instruments for researchers and citizen scientists. We’re working on the next iteration of our CTD (which measure salinity, temperature, and depth in a water column).

This is my first GOSH and I’m excited to meet everyone!

5 Likes

Hi everyone, I’m Greg Austic. I’m a co-organizer of GOSH and helped drafted of the GOSH Manifesto with Max and the GOSH 2016 crew. In my day job, I founded PhotosynQ.org and was lead designer on the MultispeQ (www.photosynq.org/buy-multispeq). PhotosynQ is a platform for collecting survey and sensor data and organizing it to be comparable, validated, discoverable, and forkable for researchers, rather than just pushing streams of data to the web without any context or meaning.

I’ve been pushing open science and open technology for over 10 years, starting in the world of biodiesel and strangely ending up in the world of plants and photosynthesis. I’m now leaving PhotosynQ and hoping to help the community share data and insights at scale, using the software and tools we developed at PhotosynQ if that turns out to be appropriate. I’m a strong believer that data sharing and the creation of effective developer networks is the best way to scale open science hardware in the long run.

My personal goal is to ensure my 2 kids can engage in science in a moral and meaningful way to the ultimate benefit of everyone.

I really want to run a session to outline, in specific detail, what our ideal data sharing and management platform(s) for open science hardware looks like. What features are most important to developers, and to users? How does it help establish better business models (if at all). What components need to be standardized (like APIs) and what do not? I would really like to get an active GOSH subgroup focused on solving these problems. So ping me if that sounds good to you.

Can’t wait to see you all –

Greg

3 Likes

Hi Everyone,

I am Tarunima, currently pursuing my masters in public policy at UC, Berkeley in United States. Prior to coming to Berkeley, I worked on an IoT project to monitor quality of electricity supply in India, a maker-space in rural India and an incredible non-profit in Delhi that is reworking primary school math and science curriculum in the country.
I have a background in electrical engineering and computer science and am dedicated to extending STEM and its applications to the vulnerable and least privileged. Thoughts about scalability led me to apply to policy school. I now dabble in development economics; and technology policy issues such as internet access and discrimination through algorithms.
I am really excited about meeting and learning from everyone. I hope to attend as many sessions and collaborate on small hardware projects, something I haven’t spent too much time on in graduate school. I would also love to pick your brains about how regulations/policies can support or impede the work of this diverse community.
See you all soon!

2 Likes

Hi all, I am an independent and itinerant open science and data advocate. For the past two years I’ve been living a nomadic lifestyle, traveling around the world and working with anyone and anywhere I can be of use. Before that I was the Manager of Science and Data Policy with Creative Commons in San Francisco.

My background is in engineering and environmental science with extensive experience with geospatial technologies and data aka GIS. I am also a self-taught programmer, currently working primarily with JavaScript/nodejs.

My current interests are in science education, environmental monitoring, text mining and data policy, health data, and what I can only describe as the politics of citizen science.

Looking forward to being in Santiago.

http://punkish.org/About

3 Likes

Hello everybody :slight_smile:

My name is Séverine, I’m French, 25, and I’ve been living in Chile for three years. I spent two years and a half studying engineering in biotechnology here, and now I am working as a researcher at Center for Biotechnology and Bioengineering.

During my studies I met up with several classmates interested in Open Science and Synthetic Biology, and together we began to work on SynBio projects for iGEM first, and then on hardware for lab experiments in comprehensive schools. The groups is called OpenBio UChile. Later I met crazy computing guys that are motivated by creating a biohackspace in the Faculty so I’ve been collaborating with their project. Benja should tell you more about it :stuck_out_tongue:

I consider myself as a very beginner in the field of Open Hardware so I’m grateful to have the great opportunity to learn a lot from each one of you :slight_smile: My main interests are the Open Science movement and particularly in Science Education.

Looking forward to meeting you all :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi, I run a startup in Bangladesh(for the uninitiated, population 156.6 million, and most densest country in Asia) which is an institute teaching CHILDREN open source hardware and software(Arduino, Raspberry Pi, Processing, Python) skills and knowledge WHILE also functioning as a tech firm. We take the ideas and solutions created in our classrooms and provide them to real world customers and clients as commercial or non-commercial tech solutions.

These solutions start from an interactive computer game we built for a local company which they displayed in the country’s largest trade fair to food elevators for a local restaurant. Internet of Things, Interactive Artwork and the whole hardware tech solution is pretty new in our country and we are among the few working on this sector. More importantly, these solutions are brought from 7-15 year old children and their teachers’ heads and hands.

My startup also provides the same education to children of an ethnic tribal group in the hills of Bangladesh where there’s no internet nor electricity available.

Recently, we have also started LEARNING and TINKERING with molecular biology, bio-hacking in collaboration with bio-hackers, biologists globally and also from local universities. The idea is to eventually incorporate this to our existing curriculum besides electronics and programming.

I love psychology, alternative education, open science(hardware, software, bio), music, day dreaming, lucid dreaming and meeting people. Looking forward to meeting you all.

1 Like